Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone thinking of a Garmin Zero? Let me tell you about my experience... I purchased the Zero last October and decided almost immediately this thing was not going to be used 2018 Kansas Deer season. To complicated and too hard to sight in... To be more accurate, to hard to calibrate the reticle. I spent two days on the weekend trying to calibrate the sight. One, the instruction book Garmin provides is in black and white.(I printed a PDF in color of my computer of the manual and the color helps a lot) The instructions are clearly not written by a bow-hunter, it was as if they gave you 4 out of 5 of the answers and failed to give you one important step. So I put the sight back into the box and there it has set until a week ago. (June 2019) It was very painful to even start trying again to get the sight up and shooting well, but last weekend, I watched some of the good ole boy videos that Garmin puts up and he makes it look and sound easy. Truth is, he too did not accurately describe how to calibrate the reticle. One German or Dutch guy on YouTube does a pretty good job describing what must be done, but still it was no easy task. Of course being a weekend, I could not call Garmin, so I did so on Monday morning 8:30 EST to get tech support. An automated system told me they would call back in approximately 1 hour... So I get the call back and I told the tech, if we get cut off, please call me back... he said he couldn't call back and sure enough we got cut off about half way through the conversation. I called back the next day and got a more informed tech but still he did was not able to address some of my questions calibration of the reticle... Now, four days into sighting in the damn thing, I am pretty pissed off and ready to throw it in the garbage but after spending $999.00 I reconsidered and thought I can sell on ebay for $500.00.... Finally, through my own logic, I was able to align the reticle and start the sighting in process... I shot my first pin in at 15 yards, piece of cake... the zero tells me to back up 10 yds. I baked up to 25 yards and shot low by 2' ft... Wow... The Zero then asked me if I hit the bullseye? No! so it said did you shoot high or low? Answer Low... It then asked how much 2" and i wanted to say 2 [email protected] feet but it would only default to 9" ... eventually I got the 25 yard mark zeroed in... Next it said back up 10 more yards, which i did and shot my first arrow. Low again! This time it failed to ask me all the questions like "DId YOU HIT THE BULLSEYE? I could never get it to ask that again, so I called Garmin to speak to another tech... Same thing "Due to unusually high call volume we will call you back in 1:05 minutes (no damn wonder this thing is a nightmare) When the tech called back, he had me erase all the data, reset the Zero (sort of like re-booting a computer) this time it asked me all the right questions and I was able to site it in from 15-60 yards... Now that it is sighted in, it will shoot very accurate... Now here is the real deal in my opinion. I think Garmin is a fantastic company, I have well over 100K of their equipment in my airplane and its unbelievable equipment and user friendly... I honestly think they should stick to boats and airplanes.... One of the biggest problems with calibrating the reticle is the CNC and mill-work is so sloppy and loose, its nearly impossible to move the sight along the "CURVED" rails 1/32 of an inch or less... There is no micro adjustment....Its a matter of loosening the set screw and sliding the sight along the rail with your hand , then taking a Allen Wrench and tightening it back down without it moving... This literally took several hours.... Its got lots of nice features like telling you if you are torquing the bow... counting how many arrows you have fired, etc.... It has a hunting mode and a target mode....BUT NO SELF DESTRUCT MODE! After all of this, I was about to place a order for the Burris Oracle and list my Garmin Zero A1i on eBay... such a great bunch of technology but poorly made... MY BIG CONCERN IS IF IT EVER GETS DROPPED OR THE AIRLINES ARE TOO ROUGH ON IT, I NEVER WANT TO HAVE TO SPEND HOURS, ESPECIALLY IN THE FIELD SIGHTING THE THING IN... SOMETHING TO BE SAID ABOUT A 4 PIN SIGHT.... OR A TWO PIN SPOT HOGG A Single Pin Black Gold, CBE or whatever....

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
You just discouraged me lol. I hope mines not this complicated I shall find out soon. Dealer said it came just gotta go get it lol.

I’ve heard their a little tricky but surely a pilot wouldn’t have the much trouble to navigate it!

I hear they are a beauty once up and running but I will have an axcel dialed in to slap Incase their is ever a technical difficulty and a backup now as well with a sight on it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Didn't read it all but just about every other review I have read has been very positive. For me it's a hard pass just based on price. However I guess it is really peanuts in comparison to what many spend on glass to put on their rifle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am by far not a tech guy but found the Garmin set up not to difficult I found the reticle alinement easy depends on a consistent grip which also shows if you torque the bow.

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
I am by far not a tech guy but found the Garmin set up not to difficult I found the reticle alinement easy depends on a consistent grip which also shows if you torque the bow.
Oh no if this is the case I will never get mine setup lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I will buy all your troubles for $500. I have had my Garmin Xero A1i for over a year now. No issues. Original batteries still. It did take me a weekend to get it perfect. I have no regrets and it has been my best archery purchase in a long time.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The book is not very easy. Watch the set up videos. That helped me the most. Take your time and follow directions. This is hard for some.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had the opposite experience! I’ll agree, lining the reticle up is a bit cumbersome. However, i found that most of the reason is inconsistency in anchor point, kisser button, etc. Once I ironed that out, my reticle is lined up. And I tell you what, it’s the easiest set up I’ve ever done! The further out you shoot with it, the more accurate the firing solution is. JMTS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Love mine. I had went to you tube and watched videos first. Mine went fairly easy. You want to adjust your verticle rail first if your arrow is of more than 4" off.Just keep answering no if not right.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I found mine was relatively easy to set up. I watched numerous videos prior to buying the Garmin as well as after purchase. Right after I mounted it on my bow, I got the reticle half-arsed aligned. When I got to the range, everything just fell into place. It did take me awhile to get it fully set up properly but that was shooter fatigue. I now have mine calibrated to 80 yards and it shoots bang on every time from any distance out to 80. Don't think I'll ever go back to regular sight again, unless these become illegal to use here for hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I found mine was relatively easy to set up. I watched numerous videos prior to buying the Garmin as well as after purchase. Right after I mounted it on my bow, I got the reticle half-arsed aligned. When I got to the range, everything just fell into place. It did take me awhile to get it fully set up properly but that was shooter fatigue. I now have mine calibrated to 80 yards and it shoots bang on every time from any distance out to 80. Don't think I'll ever go back to regular sight again, unless these become illegal to use here for hunting.
Agree with this. If you are making a decision to buy this sight or a new bow,.........buy this sight.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The sight is not hard to set up. It does take some time if you have other issues going on with form. Main thing is to have the sight aligned correctly so the ranging reticle naturally aligns with your form. Then the next critical part, is to select the best starting point. The sight uses that point to calculate the rest of the sight, in a way. If you custom move that starting point, it will change where your pin groups are located within the sight window. If you move that starting point too low, to get your 20 yrd pin closer to center, you will not be able to get the longer range pins set. (Depending on your speeds and desired longest range).
I just know I won't be giving mine up anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If you are gonna be traveling with bow, I would think you would hVe it in a tightly packed foam hard case anyway. I think I would detach from bow, in the case and have it packed so the bow isn't trying to move it around from handling. I don't understand why guys will spend thousands on a gun set-up including the right gear for travel, but then feel they should be able to just through the bow in the trunk and go. A precision shooting instrument needs to be handled in at least a minimal way no matter what it is.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Seems like cool tech but damn nearly price of the bow! More co placate = more things to go wrong at worst time ie. full draw!!
If I already had a decent bow, and had the choice of updating my bow, or buying this sight, I would buy this sight. In fact, last year I did.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Far an away the best sight I have used. If it was excepted by p&y and legal in all the places I hunt I would put a garmin on each of my bows.
I had no such difficulties getting up and running with it, the interface was very intuitive.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts