Archery Talk Forum banner

Gas spring as bow shooting practice tool

10908 Views 26 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  caspian
I keep my bow in our living room all the time. So I like to pick it up a lot and just draw it without arrow in it. I know. I must be stupid to do it but this is how I train my grip. Probably I will keep doing it till I dry fire one day. But anyway I was thinking if it's possible to take the gas spring and screw it in place of an arrow rest so I can draw the bow back with gas spring rod hooked to the string and then just shoot? I will adjust the gas spring so it will put enough pressure on the string as arrow will. Do you guys think this will be safe?
See less
I keep my bow in our living room all the time. So I like to pick it up a lot and just draw it without arrow in it. I know. I must be stupid to do it but this is how I train my grip. Probably I will keep doing it till I dry fire one day. But anyway I was thinking if it's possible to take the gas spring and screw it in place of an arrow rest so I can draw the bow back with gas spring rod hooked to the string and then just shoot? I will adjust the gas spring so it will put enough pressure on...
See more
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20,951 Posts
It would definitely take some work to get the balance the same. This is one of the few cases where I'd balance the bow at brace first....well, sort of.

I'd find out how my bow was set up at anchor. Then I'd pull the stab, see how the bow balanced free hanging from the top cam, I'd then add the device and see where it balanced at brace. I'd put a v-bar on and get back to the same balance as the bow was with nothing on it (free hanging). Then the weight added to get balanced...I'd add that to my normal setup-- and start from there.

I figure setting up this way will get me close to a normal setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.