Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does one thin out the Lacquer as with other or leave it be and dip away?

I have never used lacquer formulated for Gasket use. So any level of information would be useful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Gasket lacquer is very thick, generally doesn't require thinning, and meant to be used with a gasket system. I have thinned it when it's been left in a dip tube for a long time and thickened to a point where it really didn't want to be fed through a gasket. I did this by adding a little regular (nitrocellulose) lacquer thinner and repeatedly dipping an arrow into the mixture and then letting it sit for a day to smooth out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so it is not to be thinned out prior too dipping from a fresh can... BUT if left in the dip tube it may need some help.

Thank you for the assistance.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That's been my experience. When I say left too long in a dip tube, I'm talking a year or two. I actually had a difficult time getting the arrow shaft down into the dip tube and then it didn't want to come out. If you're actively dipping arrows, you should never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I generally have tubes that have the lac in them for a year or so and have had zero problems and didnt have to thin it out. You can tell when it is starting to get old because it much thicker and harder to push the dowels into but it is still fine. Making 80-100 dozen arrows a year doesnt leave much of it laying around in the tubes long :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
yeah it is something I am constantly doing. I would say that I add a bit to each tube once every couple of weeks. I have a few tubes that are used with black stained shafts and some of the "oak" color stains as well so I add new clear to them to help keep the concentration of the stain to a minimum. I know I have tubes that have had clear in them for almost a year now and it is still good to use.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Keep in mind it takes almost a whole can to fill the tube, so order more than one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts