Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ever come across a gateway feather that was poorly ground?

i have now had 4 feathers i could not use because the back end of the feather was ground more then the front making it sit high off the shaft where the rest lay flat.

all in all i am very dissapointed in the quality of this product makes me feel as if there quality control dont like there job.

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
Yes ! There will be no more Gateway's in my jig,period !

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ditto i was able to get 6 arrows fletched without any problems so far but for sure am not going to attempt to waste the other 6 i have with gateways!

anyone have this problem with tru flights? (like to know if ill be wasteing money on those as well)

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I have had better luck with Tru-Flights! That being said, the Gateways, when they're good they're great but when they're bad, they're terrible!!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
This is funny, because I posted on a similar thread a while ago because I prefer Tru-Flights over Gateway, and the opposite reaction occurred. Everyone jumped on to defend the Gateways. I am glad to see I am not the only one that has had bad experiences with Gateways. IMHO, feathers are feathers. They are not going to be as consistent as a manmade synthetic product. However, I have been fletching feathers for some 17 years and I have found MANY more usable Tru-Flights than Gateways. The bases and length are much more consistent. In one bag of Gateway feathers, I found feathers ranging from 3 7/8" to 4 1/2". That to me is WAY to inconsistent!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have never used any feathers except Gateway for the last 5 years. I have to say that I have never found a feather in any batch that I could not use. The only inconsistencies that I have found are slight differences in base width and thickness. I just match the ones that are close and shoot away. No problems here. I have been shooting the 2" Rayzrs for the last month or so, and really like them. They fly great. Can't wait to try them on broadheads.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The Gateway bases look like Crap, but that really doesn't effect the way they shoot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
gateway feathers

I've been shooting feathers for over twenty years and have used both. TruFlight was always a better feather. Gateway has more of a selection but not the quality of TruFlight. Gateway seems to be flooding the market recently so I had to call TruFlight direct for a 21/4 shield. It seems they send most of there short shield feathers over seas but they did send me 200. I'm going to try Gateways new Rayzrs and see if the quality has improved.

A side note: The bird flu has effected the supply of feathers. There was a stamp on my last supply of feathers that noted they where inspected. Jerry

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was having trouble with clearance issues on my 07 allegience with the blazer vane. I switched to the Razyr feather (4 per arrow) what a difference, once I got my jig set they lay down great and look even better. They fly great and I'm sighted in out to 80 yards.

In my last batch I have not seen a terrible amount of inconsistancy, 1/16th of inch in length at worst.

My 2 cents

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
The Gateway bases look like Crap, but that really doesn't effect the way they shoot.
No but it does affect how well they will stay glued to the arrow shaft. My first experience with Gateways I bought a 100 pack of 5" right-wing. I ended up using only about 60 and throwing the rest away. Bases were thinner at the front, thicker at the back, thicker at the front, thinner at the back, wider at the front, narrower at the back. You get the picture. I don't worry about that anymore, I only shoot Blazers, and yes I know how to fletch them so they stay on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Had some once. Tru- Flight are way more consistant!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts