Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Greetings from Baghdad. Being mortared and rocketed all day has me thinking of more positive things. I am currently working overseas as a contractor and after years of saving up, I am going to Africa for a three week rifle and bow hunt. I have the rifle side sorted out. Just working on my bow. I have a Diamond Black Ice with Beman Carbon hunters (400). I am home for leave in three weeks and I plan to be shooting daily for about a month before I head off. I will be hunting plains game, no dangerous game this year. Looking for a broadhead to do the business. Although I have some 100gr muzzies, I am trying to decide on what to go with. I need to get a bunch and start shooting them so I have them sorted for the hunt. Would be interested in some thoughts.

Would also appreciate any thoughts on the number of arrows I should bring with me for the trip....

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Gents,

Greetings from Baghdad. Being mortared and rocketed all day has me thinking of more positive things. I am currently working overseas as a contractor and after years of saving up, I am going to Africa for a three week rifle and bow hunt. I have the rifle side sorted out. Just working on my bow. I have a Diamond Black Ice with Beman Carbon hunters (400). I am home for leave in three weeks and I plan to be shooting daily for about a month before I head off. I will be hunting plains game, no dangerous game this year. Looking for a broadhead to do the business. Although I have some 100gr muzzies, I am trying to decide on what to go with. I need to get a bunch and start shooting them so I have them sorted for the hunt. Would be interested in some thoughts.

Would also appreciate any thoughts on the number of arrows I should bring with me for the trip....

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff, welcome to AT amigo :wave:

Stikers and Slick Tricks worked plenty good for the Mrs. and I the last time we were on the Dark Continent :thumb: We each took a dozen arrows and each used about half of what we took.
What are the details of your hunt :noidea:

·
Registered
186 Posts
# of arrows? Depends on how many animals you are going for and are there other shot opportunities...baboons! If you are taking 5 or 6...a dozen would cover it. A few baboons thrown in? I'd take 18 or 24.

I used a Shuttle lock braodhead and no problems. Muzzy would be fine too. That is what my PH uses.

Matt

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've never been to Africa, but if I was planning on being there for 3 weeks I would take at least 24 BH tipped arrows.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I went Aug -Sept 2006, shot 5 arrows, killed 5 animals... I had taken 24 arrows... I shot 3 for target practice, and shot the 5 others into plains game. Unles you plan on missing or winging an animal (which you have to pay for regardless of recovery), you need one dozen, spin tested arrows. Also do not take more tha 4 changes of clothes. They wash every day in the place I was hunting at... Take a good pair of walking boots, a good knife, a tough broadhead that flies good out to 30 yds and will penetrate. Some outfitters dont allow mechs, so stick with a good COC fixed blade.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Africa Gear

I would think 18 arrows would be enough. As for broadheads, just shoot what ever you are acurate with. Have fun & Good Luck!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
continued

I would say a set of brush camo, or just plain old tan for your walk-stalk rifle hunt, depending on if the country you are going will allow camo... and the other clothes being black only if you are hunting in blinds over water holes. Like I said earlier 2 sets of each would do fine. A set of clothes to go over & come home in, and a set to sleep in also. Man, I carried so much junk over there, it was ridiculous. I learned I could do fine with half the crap I took. No range finder, no 2 dozen broadheads & arrows, no 4 sets of camo, etc...

I would take an extra release, an extra bow string& cables, a portable bow press. I have a list that I'll put on here soon of the stuff that I used and didnt, and the stuff that hindsight said was dumb to waste my strength carrying through the airports.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Morpheus - for plains game, 100gr Muzzy will be fine. Are you confident with them? That really is the secret.
If you are in South Africa, you will be able to buy almost any gear that you may need in the larger centers, but be careful to have enough if you are going to some isolated places.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
If i was chasing plains game in Africa I would keep the exact same compund setup I have right now except I might try bit tougher made broadhead. A magnus SS, Hellrazor, Montec, Razor Cap... Muzzy's would do fine also. The only thing I might recommend is a bit heavier arrow, but to whom his own. And for me since I like to shoot lots of small game, I would take at least 2 dozen arrows, with the same amount of broadheads. Hope i could be of help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gents,

Thanks for all the answers and replies. I am looking at bringing 18 arrows with broadheads. I have used 100 gr Muzzy and Thunderheads in the past with good results. I like the new muzzy's with the stronger blades. I will have to look at whatever are the stronger bladed ones. Broadheads tend to be such an emotional thing...almost a ford or chevy type discussion.

I am going for three weeks. The first week is a cull hunt south of Johannesburg and should be a good chance to get things worked out and ready in preparation for the next couple of weeks. The second part has us moving up to the NE corner of the country near Messina for more hunting with our PHs. It is going to be a great trip and I am looking forward it. It will be a needed break.

In terms of gear, I am going to bring two changes of clothes and my trusty travel clothes. I will bring one set of camo should it be needed. I am confirming with my PH what he is thinking will be needed in terms of camo.

Please to report that the bad guys either used up most of there ammo or got sore arms from carrying mortars and rockets and have given us a little bit of break here in the IZ. We had some seriously close calls with our personnel and our villa here. Makes for interesting times.

Thanks again for all the responses. I look forward to more comments. Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
PM "No Mercy" here on AT. He was there a couple years ago and may be going back again. I think he used ST broadheads if I remember right.
He should be able to give you some good advice.

Lien2

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Malaria pills....don't forget your pills!!! Make sure all your visas/prerequisites are taken care of...you would hate to get there and they hold you up. I've seen it happen and it's not pretty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts