Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been involved with bow hunting for quite a while and recently, my wife has been expressing her interest in hunting/archery. She "attempted" my Martin compound but couldn't handle the 70# draw. I would like to find a good compound for her so we can share the bow hunting experience. ANY IDEAS??? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Stumped Hubby

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What about a 45-60 lb. Cheetah? Same cams as your MOAB, both of you would be shooting Martins and plenty of adjustment for her to try out. Also a nice compact short axle to axle bow at 30" i believe. I recently seen them new going for 299 shipped in the for sale section here.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
unless she is stronger than average she will never make a 60# draw... i have sold a lot of bows to women, the # 1 has been the martin leopard in 35-50#, and it is more than enough bow to get the job done,, stick with a truely sharp coc head like the stiker if she hunts and you will never get rid of her... the 15 lb weight range of the martin makes it a winner, few women like twin cams at all even at 30 #

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ebay is loaded with womens and youth bows.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Get her a single cam bow. With 35 to 50lb draw weight. Martin is a good place to start. Also bring her with you so she can try these bows out at a good archery shop. For a 70lb bow there are a lot of men that have a hard time pulling that weight. A 35lb or 40lb bow will kill a deer.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Get her a single cam bow. With 35 to 50lb draw weight. Martin is a good place to start. Also bring her with you so she can try these bows out at a good archery shop. For a 70lb bow there are a lot of men that have a hard time pulling that weight. A 35lb or 40lb bow will kill a deer.
Good advice right here....

Maybe take a look at the PSE Bowmadness in 50#...
Nice and light 3.5lbs, smooth draw using a single cam and sports great limb technology. Take a look see, you will be pleasantly surprised.

all the best,
Spatan:cocktail:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Go to a local archery pro shop & have your wife spend all the time she needs shooting the different models. A good shop will set up each suitable bow that fits her & they'll let her shoot all day long if she wishes. When she's decided on the one she wants, rely heavly on the shop for accessories & tuning.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I think he's right about letting her choose it. She'll like it more if it's her decision, is my guess...

A PSE chaos would be nice to put on the list. If she wants pink camo, it's available, as is standard camo.

If my kids get more serious with it, I'd think it's a great bow to grow into, and it will go up to 50 lbs...

·
Registered
49,503 Posts
I see this question all the time and I have to agree with eblues and barneyslayer 100%. The only thing i would add is once at the pro shop you go find something else to do and leave it all up to her and the pro shop. The reason being is getting a bow is a personal thing that only she will beable to decide on what will work. Also I've found no matter how well intentioned advice is often the husband over powers the pro shop trying to set the bow up and just confuses things for the newbie. Once she/he finds the bow they want and it's set up then give advice on form. In that way you will have a lifetime hunting partner.:wink:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and hers, check out the new Darton. There is several that might be what you are looking for. The RangerIII has draw modules from 17-28 that you can change yourself, and goes from 15 to 50# and is less money. Another is the Pro 600 for under 400.00 depending on what kind of price range a lot of new bows coming out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help. It looks like we are headed to a pro shop as soon as the weather calms down. I appreciate the pointers

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
If you have a pro shop that you trust go with Dale's advise. If you don't trust the shop then stand back and keep a close eye and ear open. They might make a $1500 sale before you know what happened.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Here's a few to try

These are the ones I'm familiar with that may fit the bill.

Some great values:
Martin Cheetah
Martin Leapord
Diamond Razors Edge

Nice but more expensive
Mathews S2 or used Switchback
Mathews Drenalin

Somewhere in between
Mission Voyager
Mission Menace
Mission Eliminator

Women with smaller frames seem to do better with shorter axle to axle bows with lower (highly adjustable) draw weight, shorter draw length that fits them better and lighter weight. All the bows listed above also have pretty smooth draw cycles which make it feel like you're pulling less weight than you are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dont forget about the PSE Chaos nice little bow on the cheap.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'd get in contact with an organization called "Shoot Like A Girl." They have a number of bows from different manufacturers in draw weights/lengths that fit a lot of women (not many left-handed models, though...). They offer "test flights" at various archery events, where women can actually shoot a bunch of different bows and see which ones they like best.

My experience at pro shops is that very few have lower-poundage bows that aren't "kids bows" and only a very small fraction of the lower-draw weight-bows are left-handed (I hope she shoots right handed--have you checked for eye donimance?). I don't feel comfortable dropping hundreds of dollars for a bow that I've never had the opportunity to even draw back. The Shoot Like A Girl folks can let you know when there will be a test flight near you so she can try bows that are "girl friendly." Their website is www.shootlikeagirl.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts