Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Looking at the thickness of the fabric and the hole sizes I doubt that much water will pass through unless it is hitting at an angle pretty hard. Probably will still contain scent fairly well also.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hit it with the garden hose test this morning. Driven rain will get through the "view" material and inside the blind. Angle is key to how much rain will make it through. Heavy rain from top down or a minimal angle will produce minimal penetration.

The air flow in and out impacting scent and how these blinds handle rain and snow will be known over the next 10 months. I'm still very excited with their potential.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I hit it with the garden hose test this morning. Driven rain will get through the "view" material and inside the blind. Angle is key to how much rain will make it through. Heavy rain from top down or a minimal angle will produce minimal penetration.

The air flow in and out impacting scent and how these blinds handle rain and snow will be known over the next 10 months. I'm still very excited with their potential.
Another little test if you're up for it. Plug a fan in outside the blind blowing in. get inside and check to see how much breeze is actually seeping through.
Easy way to tell. If you have the time.....

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Very good review!
CA your right about them dam bears. They hunt down my trail cameras and destroy them. They mark the side of my camp. I put a air chair on my Camp porch next morning it’s ventilated I hate them fawn killers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks guys. It's a unique approach to ground blinds and I'm sure it will present some challenges with scent control for some. The surround view material does pass rain so it won't be an ideal all weather blind. I'm not a rainy day hunter generally so that's not a problem for me.

I'm pretty sure we will see our bears again this year as they pass through. I can't legally take a bear in August but I'm very tempted to try to run them off as soon as they show up on camera. I may consider sitting in my climber a few time by one of the spots they routinely hit and if they show, sending some 12G bird shot their way. Not intending to really do anything but educate them that our corn isn't worth the trouble.

·
I like big buffs!
4,299 Posts
Awesome review-it answers a few questions I had about these blinds. Overall they look sweet, and I agree it's total hell sitting inside a standard blind looking out a dinky shooting window. It takes away from the 'intimacy' of the hunt too, like there's a barrier between you and the deer.

One HUGE fail...no brush loops. What...the...hell?? Pretty shocked to see those missing at this price point. When I setup a blind I'll invest around 2-3hrs typically, with most of that time spent brushing it in. I pride myself on how well I'm able to make a full sized blind disappear, but that's quite a bit more difficult without brush loops.

Might be a deal killer actually for me. Which really sucks, because that small size would be oh so nice for solo hunts...

·
I like big buffs!
4,299 Posts
Ya, I've had to brush in blinds like this before-ones with no loops. It SUCKS. It usually involves tying branches to lengths of paracord, attaching the cord to the eyelet on the roof, and letting it hang over on the sides. Fail.

It's better than nuffin I suppose, but not nearly as effective as brush loops, which should be a no brainer on a $400 blind....

·
Disco89
981 Posts
What is the roof material made of? Thinking about a regular falling rain, sleet, etc? Keeping equipment, scopes, etc dry.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What is the roof material made of? Thinking about a regular falling rain, sleet, etc? Keeping equipment, scopes, etc dry.
The top and the sides that are not "view through material" are made from the traditional Double Bull material, which is very durable. Also the first 24" off the ground are made with the same Double Bull material.

I've been in the rain in the 270 here in Texas and unless it's really a downpour with wind driving the rain, you and your gear should stay dry. With the Surround View walls and windows, it's not waterproof blind so you will have to pay attention to the rain.

The 180 degree blind for a one person setup may be the best mix of "viewing" advantage, black-out background walls (2) and protection from the elements.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Any update on this blind? Still like it?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I love it. I used it in spring for Turkey in KS and it worked like a champ and I've used it a couple times hog hunting.

SV180InKS.jpg

I'm in the process of setting up on a new lease closer to home here in Texas and the 270 will end up out there as my ground blind option for fall and winter hunting.

·
Banned
35,283 Posts
I just bought the 180 two regular walls two see through walls I have not got to hunt out of it but I like it a lot vary easy to see game moving instead of having to move around to peek through windows to try to see game. Well built and sturdy material will be using to hunt with my daughter out of it.

·
Banned
35,283 Posts
They are real nice went out to Wal Mart they have some real nice Team Realtree chairs cheap for anyone who’s looking bought my daughter the RT basic Edge chair.$12.88 and me the RT Outfitter Edge with a higher back $24.88 can’t beat those prices.

·
Bringer of truth
14,916 Posts
Very nice review.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts