Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Whitetail Deer Questions: Acorns & "general" feeding patterns...

I've hunted for many years, and had some pretty good success with a bow. (Definitely not a "green-horn.") But nevertheless, I still question what and why with regards to deer and their behavior.

I still have a lot to learn. I figure that for me bow-hunting is about 25% skill, 50% luck and patience of being at the right place at the right time, and another 25% getting there (and getting out) the right way.

I have a few "GENERAL" questions regarding white oaks & whitetail feeding patterns:

Very few white oaks here. (plenty of reds though)
Given this, what's your take on using H/S white acorn scent away? A beacon of danger, or a treat? (Or not a big deal, they're going to smell my breath regardless of what I do, and maybe there is not enough difference in the smell of reds vs whites to matter too much.)

Also, I've heard deer drink water as much as 6 or 7 times during the day. Is this true even as the weather gets cold? But how about their feeding patterns at night? Do they typically feed primarily at dusk / dawn, or do they feed throughout the night? (We don't have crop fields here, as per say. A few fields here and there with grass / and clover etc... But deer generally browse. Acorns and beach nuts (when they drop) are a common food sources.

It's very hard to pattern deer in the northeast where I hunt. We don't have the "stereo-typical" feeding / bedding / travel-route funnels here. It's been my experience here that they kind of just "travel" and every 3 or 4 days they are back in a given area. (does always, and buck during pre-rut & post rut.) ~ It's all about food & survival.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
for the most part iron, price and ashland countys wi, are the same way,when we hunt in these countys we look mainly for the heavily used areas that deer use,9 times out of ten there browsing in aspens,bedding in cedars and tamarack,and they love dogwood if it consists of allot of golden grass,we dont even bother with the maple ridges unless there is a swamp close by,also if there is water there are deer near by,rivers,and creeks are a good tool to start at

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I've hunted for many years, and had some pretty good success with a bow. (Definitely not a "green-horn.") But nevertheless, I still question what and why with regards to deer and their behavior.

I still have a lot to learn. I figure that for me bow-hunting is about 25% skill, 50% luck and patience of being at the right place at the right time, and another 25% getting there (and getting out) the right way.

I have a few "GENERAL" questions regarding white oaks & whitetail feeding patterns:

Very few white oaks here. (plenty of reds though)
Given this, what's your take on using H/S white acorn scent away? A beacon of danger, or a treat? (Or not a big deal, they're going to smell my breath regardless of what I do, and maybe there is not enough difference in the smell of reds vs whites to matter too much.)

Also, I've heard deer drink water as much as 6 or 7 times during the day. Is this true even as the weather gets cold? But how about their feeding patterns at night? Do they typically feed primarily at dusk / dawn, or do they feed throughout the night? (We don't have crop fields here, as per say. A few fields here and there with grass / and clover etc... But deer generally browse. Acorns and beach nuts (when they drop) are a common food sources.

It's very hard to pattern deer in the northeast where I hunt. We don't have the "stereo-typical" feeding / bedding / travel-route funnels here. It's been my experience here that they kind of just "travel" and every 3 or 4 days they are back in a given area. (does always, and buck during pre-rut & post rut.) ~ It's all about food & survival.
I don't think that deer drink that much water. There was an article in D&DH this summer regarding the subject and it was said that the largest majority of a deer's water they get from the things that they eat (depending on what they are eating at the time of course). I would think that if deer really drank that much water, everyone would hunt over a water hole and not worry so much about the food plots or acorns.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Find what the deer are eating & you will have meat in the freezer. What i mean by this is,most of the crops in my area have been harvested already & i am needing freezer fill so i set up in transition areas in early season so i can whack the does so i can get meat in the freezer after that im concentrating on the doe bedding areas & pinches & funnels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts