Archery Talk Forum banner

Generator for my cabin

1649 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bevins587
My hunting cabin sits about 700 ft from the nearest power line and the power company wants $20-25k to run power. It currently has no electricity which isn't a huge deal but we'd like to have power from time to time. I'd like to purchase a generator to set up on a semi permanent basis, inside a small generator house to keep it out of the weather and to muffle some of the sound. I'd like to have it a 100 ft or so from the cabin, have a remote start and have it run on propane/LP gas. Can anyone make any suggestions on what generator to purchase. I'm thinking something between 4.5 and 6.5 Kw would do nicely and hopefully keep the price down. I've heard good things about Honda generators but it seems they can't be run on propane.

What about the Onan or Generac generators that are made for RVs?
Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be appreciated
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Reliability = HONDA
made by Honda Power Equipment. You get what you pay for.

don't buy just a no name generator with a honda engine

· Registered
269 Posts
20 -25k sounds like a lot. Have you looked into having a contractor install the electric service? They will run the wire (underground would be cheaper) then you just have to have the power co. connect you. if you have to buy poles and set them It gets expensive. My father and I ran electric service to his barn It was about 400 ft. We ran it under ground. The wire was the most expensive part. I want to say it was like 350 bucks. But he used copper. I don't know why you can use aluminum and Its cheaper.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
20 -25k sounds like a lot. Have you looked into having a contractor install the electric service? They will run the wire (underground would be cheaper) then you just have to have the power co. connect you. if you have to buy poles and set them It gets expensive. My father and I ran electric service to his barn It was about 400 ft. We ran it under ground. The wire was the most expensive part. I want to say it was like 350 bucks. But he used copper. I don't know why you can use aluminum and Its cheaper.
Agreed, that sounds like a lot! :eek: The utility company ran ours 1/2 mile to our cabin, including 6 poles for about $800.
I'd check other contractors for ideas before I'd buy a noisy generator.

Lien2

· Registered
726 Posts
If you want one to run off gas, you could go with one of those whole house generators for $2800 -$5000, but it would be permanent. It would have plenty of power and they work really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.