Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Some friends over at Shotgunworld.com suggested I ask this question here, so here goes...

My granddaughter is a teenager, and (as expected) she wants to spend most of her free time with her friends, and not as much with Grampa as she used to. I don't expect, or even want to change this. But I do always try to find things that we can enjoy together when we do spend time together.

The other day she mentioned that she was taking archery in PE, and really enjoyed it. I spoke to her PE instructor (I'm a teacher at the same school) and he said they use Genesis Compound bows (donated by the local Sportsman's hunting/fishing club). He said this would be a good bow to buy because both she and I could use the same bow for target shooting. I should point out that she is a big girl. She is actually about half an inch taller than I am, and I'm average height.

I figure if we can use the same bow, I could buy just one for now, and see how her interest holds up. Then if she really does get into it, I could buy her one for herself.

I'm not a hunter, so I don't need a hunting bow. All it would get used for is poking holes in targets a few times a year. We're both right-handed, so that isn't an issue.

I got online and it appears to be much cheaper than most other bows that I have found. Is this a good bow for my purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Red

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, great bow for your purpose. I bought one for my daughter and son and they love it. I find myself shooting it quite a bit too. Great thing also is it appears the resale is great on these and whenever a used one comes up, someone snatches it right up.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It's perfect for what you want. I bought one for my son when he was five and now he will be turning eight and still using it. It doesn't have the cam roll over that most compound bows have, but rather a gradual build up more like a recurve. So draw length isn't an issue, meaning two different people with two different draw lengths can shoot the same bow and the only thing you might have to adjust is the sight a little bit. No problem. Good luck.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
If it's for casual use, a Genesis bow would work.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Bought one for myself.

Doing a home shoulder rehab a few years ago at the age of 58 (now 62).

I have several "high end" bows, but shoot the Genesis regularly. It will shoot just as accurately as any of my other bows. Plus, it's fun, easy on old bodies, and the lower draw weight makes it easier to develop and maintain good form.

My guess -- it's just what you need.

Best of luck to you and her.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As a NASP instructor and teacher I think you are on the right track. I love shooting the Genesis Bows even though I shoot my target bow and hunting bow. My son shoots the Genesis bow as well and enjoys shooting just as much as his hunting bow. They are lots of fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Genesis Bows

Thanks for all of the insight everyone!

To answer a few questions - she just had archery unit in PE and enjoyed it. The school got a grant from the local Sportmen's club to buy the equipment. No, she isn't in an NASP program. I just thought this would be something we could do together. If she takes to it, great. If she gets tired of it, then I'm not out a lot of money - and I can always enjoy the bow myself.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts