Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm looking for a bow for a young lady brand new to archery. I want to find something that she can be comfortable with as a novice, but be able to get a little mileage from as she improves. She'll be shooting fixed targets only, no hunting. The reviews I've found for the Genesis bows seem pretty good. Any comments, suggestions?

By the way, I just stumbled across this forum today. Great advise. Many thanks to everyone for their comments.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Genesis are okay bows, but I think if you went with either a hort trykon sport or a diamond razors edge you will get a lot more adjustability and just an all around better bow. Not sure what a genesis costs, but I know you can pick up the diamond fully loaded with sight, quiver and whisker biscuit for a little over $300.

·
Banned
1,674 Posts
Hi All. I'm looking for a bow for a young lady brand new to archery. I want to find something that she can be comfortable with as a novice, but be able to get a little mileage from as she improves. She'll be shooting fixed targets only, no hunting. The reviews I've found for the Genesis bows seem pretty good. Any comments, suggestions?

By the way, I just stumbled across this forum today. Great advise. Many thanks to everyone for their comments.
Genesis is the best bow for the beginners. My husband and I bought our daughters (16 and 14 years olds) the Pink Lemonade Genesis and Genesis Pro.

It enforces the beginner to have proper form, and builds up her muscle to shoot either Olympic or 3D. The Genesis Pro has a Draw Stop which is a great feature to get her to draw to the correct drawlength.

Beware that it is a 0% letoff bow. Some people used to the 80% letoff bows don't like it, yet some recurve archer raved about it, calling it the best of both world.

When we first get the Genesis Pro, we set the poundage at 15lb, they are now shooting 25lb with arrows on the bullseye.

The bow is very much a quality made, no non-sense equipment. Contrary to the Mathews nay-sayers, it is one of the most scalable and adjustable bows for women beginners.

Lisa

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I like the Genesis Pro

I'm 61 and got one a few years ago as part of a shoulder rehab. Still shoot it some in the off season. It's as accurate as any of my dozen or so other bows.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one for my son on his 7th birthday. He did a traditional only 3D shoot last spring with a cheapy fiberglass recurve. He loved it but was frustrated by the lack of power in the bow and didn't take instruction well.

His birthday is Thanksgiving. I'll update you then on his progress.

The Genesis is $149 pretty much everywhere I've seen it. They have a package that includes arrows for $200.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Dont get the Genesis

My 11 yr old got one for his birthday 2 yrs ago and was great then but now with the new technology out there there are so many better starter bows.

Lets start with the young ones lets say up to age 10-12:
Diamond Nuclear Ice
Brace Height 6 1/8"
Axle to Axle 22 1/2"
Draw Length 14" - 24"
Draw Weights 10 to 29 lbs
IBO Speed 187 - 195 fps*
Let Off 70%
I got my 5yr old one and he is already shooting better than my 11yr old with the genesis. Has alot ot do with a positive draw stop and letoff that the genesis just doesnt have. This is in my opinion is the best bow rite now for young archers.

Another good bow but with a little less growth is the
Fuse Freestyle
•Draw weight range 10 to 25+lbs.
•Draw length range 14" to 24" adjustable in 1-2" increments
•Axle to Axle 29"
•Brace height 6.5"

Now for older children and just starting persons you really need to look at the
Diamond Razor Edge
Brace Height 7"
Axle to Axle 31"
Draw Length 19" - 29"
Draw Weights 29, 60
Speed MOD IBO 308 fps @ 29"
Kinetic Energy 63.6 fpe @ 29"
Adjustable Let-off 75%

My wife has the older versoin and is a great bow. Whats nice about the new ones is if you get the 30# max limbs Diamond will upgrade to the 60# limbs for cheap when the archer is ready for more poundage.

This is just my opinion on starter bows and will be getting my 11yr old the Razor Edge as soon as I can (needs new glasses first). Hope this helps

·
Registered
195 Posts
Genesis is the best bow for the beginners. My husband and I bought our daughters (16 and 14 years olds) the Pink Lemonade Genesis and Genesis Pro.

It enforces the beginner to have proper form, and builds up her muscle to shoot either Olympic or 3D. The Genesis Pro has a Draw Stop which is a great feature to get her to draw to the correct drawlength.

Beware that it is a 0% letoff bow. Some people used to the 80% letoff bows don't like it, yet some recurve archer raved about it, calling it the best of both world.

When we first get the Genesis Pro, we set the poundage at 15lb, they are now shooting 25lb with arrows on the bullseye.

The bow is very much a quality made, no non-sense equipment. Contrary to the Mathews nay-sayers, it is one of the most scalable and adjustable bows for women beginners.

Lisa
I agree. I started both my kids out with one before they were of legal hunting age.

·
Banned
1,674 Posts
My 11 yr old got one for his birthday 2 yrs ago and was great then but now with the new technology out there there are so many better starter bows.

Lets start with the young ones lets say up to age 10-12:
Diamond Nuclear Ice
Brace Height 6 1/8"
Axle to Axle 22 1/2"
Draw Length 14" - 24"
Draw Weights 10 to 29 lbs
IBO Speed 187 - 195 fps*
Let Off 70%
I got my 5yr old one and he is already shooting better than my 11yr old with the genesis. Has alot ot do with a positive draw stop and letoff that the genesis just doesnt have. This is in my opinion is the best bow rite now for young archers.

Another good bow but with a little less growth is the
Fuse Freestyle
•Draw weight range 10 to 25+lbs.
•Draw length range 14" to 24" adjustable in 1-2" increments
•Axle to Axle 29"
•Brace height 6.5"

Now for older children and just starting persons you really need to look at the
Diamond Razor Edge
Brace Height 7"
Axle to Axle 31"
Draw Length 19" - 29"
Draw Weights 29, 60
Speed MOD IBO 308 fps @ 29"
Kinetic Energy 63.6 fpe @ 29"
Adjustable Let-off 75%

My wife has the older versoin and is a great bow. Whats nice about the new ones is if you get the 30# max limbs Diamond will upgrade to the 60# limbs for cheap when the archer is ready for more poundage.

This is just my opinion on starter bows and will be getting my 11yr old the Razor Edge as soon as I can (needs new glasses first). Hope this helps
I am pretty sure the 5years will be shooting better because of the 80% let-off. But because of the design philosophy of Genesis, your older one is still the better archer and can shoot any bow with the form and the knowledge he learned from Genesis. He can never get it from an 80% let-off bow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts