Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sons that really want to shoot with me, The oldest (11 years old) shot a PSE Bandit with me for a few years but he has outgrown it and the youngest (6 years) has not grown into it yet. Both really like to shoot with me. I was thinking of buying a Mathews Genesis for them to shoot. Is this a good Idea?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
588 Posts
It all depends on how big your 6 year old is. While the genesis is a nice bow, it is heavy. My 5 year old and 7 year old could not handle the mass weight. I got them each a tom thumb by Stacey archery. Draw lenght as short as 15" and draw weight down to 10 pounds. Best of all is the mass weight. 1.9 pounds, I believe. Very nice bows. They can be upgraded as the child grows, with new limbs and wheels. Once they hit a 21" draw, you can get dual cams for them. As for your 11 year old, there are a lot of bows out there that he would fit into that would be better than the genesis imo.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You can try the Mini-Genisis for the little one. They have them at Lancaster. It has the 15 draw length and, I think, down to 10 lb. draw....I'm about to get one for my 5 year old.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Genesis bows

We have two of them, one each for my 5 year old son and 7 year old daughter. Neither of them have shot a complete 30 target 3-D round as of yet, and that may or may not have to do with the mass weight of the bow. I doubt it, I think it is more likely a short attention span at this age. My 12 year old also had one until he turned 11...bought him the Parker Challenger II, which he really likes. It is a darned good shooting bow, and Parker offers a grow up with Parker program. The program lets you replace the limbs, and the cam if neccessary, as he/she grows for $50. A lot cheaper than a new bow every year or two....I have heard good things about the Stacey bows, as well, but have not seen them.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I use the Genesis to introduce new shooters to archery. It's a good bow that doesn't have any unpleasant surprises. The full size model would be difficult for a small youngster to handle. I don't consider it anything other than a basic trainer. The performance is sluggish and the bow isn't really up to 3D or Field use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts