Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've narrowed down my broadheads for next year to these two. I'm going overboard, but I like to give myself every advantage possible when hunting an animal. Here is the projected setup for next year:

Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 66 lbs 28" DL
Easton Axis 300 5mm @ 28"
50 grain brass insert
150 grain broadhead

I don't think I'll be underspined, however please let me know if you think I will be. I haven't bought the arrows yet, and I'd be willing to drop down to the 260s.

My main question is which of those two broadheads would you recommend and why?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
theres a few tests done on here if you can find them,

I'm a big GK fan but after watching a couple of the tests I'm second gussing if id use them on large animals like moose, etc...

iron wills seem tougher.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've only whacked whitetails with mine but Iron Will gets my vote! Easily the most accurate fixed blade I've ever shot right out of the box. Hands down. Some absolute beefy heads. Takedown and resharpening has been a breeze so far with my Lansky. I'll be using these for years to come.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
the iron will looks very very similar both should be awesome. Love the lifetime warranty on iron will

rick

·
Registered
14,152 Posts
I think the Iron Wills are the better head. If the GKs came with bleeders it would be a real tough call.

Those GK hatchets though....:mg:

·
The Impartial Archer
18,227 Posts
I'm using the Steel force single bevel this year. It's a 3:1 head and single bevel which I feel is better.......it's made in the USA as well and I can get 9 heads for roughly the price of 3.

I'm NOT saying the IW heads aren't awesome and there is always a market for high end stuff but for me the I can't justify the extra cash when I haven't had issues with what I have used in the past.

I bring this up only because I think people underestimate many great broadheads based on price alone.....and put extra stock into a head they paid more for.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
In staying on topic. I owned them both. IW is the better head in so far as materials and use. Bleeder blades are big advantage for me. I also feel the profile on the IW is better and while I didn’t test them side by side I was never able to get sliver flames to group well at extended distances, out past 75 yards. Also the difference in the ferrule materials is substantial.
I no longer own any silver flames or German Kinetics.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't know Iron Will blades at all so this is very one sided. I have used German Kinetics 150g (real GH not Sliver Flames) for years and love them, they are extremely sharp out of the box and fly exactly with my field points. I have taken three elk with them with pass thoughts (the whole arrow did not pass but the GK was out the other side. That being said this year I lost a huge elk- 60 yard shoot and I only got about 12'' of penetration but my total arrow weight was only 480g and mt draw length is short- 26.5, I must have hit a rib squarely. I don't think any other broad head could do better but I am looking into Bishop's for the one sided edge for seeing great research from the Ranch Fairly on here. Good luck

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have both, and they are both great heads. In fact I would say they are theeeee two best heads out. Both are sharp, and stay sharp passing through an animal. The kenetic is easier to sharpen, iron wil ain't bad, but not as easy. You said you wanted every advantage, here's my opinion. After shooting mech heads I have come to love big holes. The kenitcs you can get 1 1/2 " or if you bump up the weight to 175 gr. You can get 1 7/8" . That is about the only differance I notice between these two. Penetration is about even, it's hard to tell some times the 1 1/2 kenetic ( even the 1 7/8, is right there with them, some times it deeper) penetrates as deep as the iron will, then next shot into same media, iron will goes a little deeper, so they are even in this regard in my experience. I believe some times the bleeder blade may hinder the penetration. I have shot far more with the kenetics then the IW, but both again are great heads. And as far as bigger animals I would not be afraid of using the larger cut except on tough skinned African game. They are so sharp and edge retention is so good they go through animals very easily in most cases, even in lighter draw weight bows. IMO advantage goes to the biggest hole. I would not hesitate to use either one on any animal I may ever hunt, including moose and large African plains game.

I am talking about the German kenetics from Germany, not the Alaska place,they are not the same heads.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I believe in testing the IW takes significantly more force to break than the gk. I’ve never owned a gk, but will not after having half a dozen IWs. The slightly larger cut does not matter to me. I shot 1” 4 blades for years and never had an issue with blood trails.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I can't find a single video of these things killing anything, been using thunderheads for almost 30 years and thinking about trying the iron will heads but would like to see them in action on a real animal, not a piece of plywood or leg bone.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
14,824 Posts
I wanted to like the GK, but they were noisy in flight. Only deer I've missed was with a GK. Had a doe duck the arrow. Went back to Thunderheads and killed a buck and doe with them in the same season.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I shoot 125xl German kinetics. Shot through a bull this year and cut the off side rib in 2. Holes were impressive both in and out.

·
Registered
14,152 Posts
I only shoot 100 grain heads. Comparing Iron Will to German Kinetic:

Blade material: IW - A2 tool steel, GK - 440B knife steel
Ferrule material: IW - GR5 Titanium, GK - 7075 T6 Aluminum
Blade thickness: IW - .062, GK - .055
Cut: IW - 1-1/16” x 3/4”, GK - 1-1/8”
Cost to acquire: IW - $107.95, GK - $107.68

In my opinion the Iron Will is the clear winner. I remember 5-6 years ago Marcus was designing a bleeder version of the GK. They decided not to offer it. I think that was a mistake and they missed the boat. Biggest issue I had with GKs is the lackluster blood trails.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I only shoot 100 grain heads. Comparing Iron Will to German Kinetic:

Blade material: IW - A2 tool steel, GK - 440B knife steel
Ferrule material: IW - GR5 Titanium, GK - 7075 T6 Aluminum
Blade thickness: IW - .062, GK - .055
Cut: IW - 1-1/16” x 3/4”, GK - 1-1/8”
Cost to acquire: IW - $107.95, GK - $107.68

In my opinion the Iron Will is the clear winner. I remember 5-6 years ago Marcus was designing a bleeder version of the GK. They decided not to offer it. I think that was a mistake and they missed the boat. Biggest issue I had with GKs is the lackluster blood trails.
This,

And GK are not as tough but as post shows why

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I believe in testing the IW takes significantly more force to break than the gk. I’ve never owned a gk, but will not after having half a dozen IWs. The slightly larger cut does not matter to me. I shot 1” 4 blades for years and never had an issue with blood trails.
I have only had two ( many but same brands) broad heads brake while in an animal or after passing through ( don't know weather blades shed in animal or after) an animal. They were American broad heads, and ram cats. We have shot all kinds of critters and a lot of pig skulls freshly killed from all kinds of angles and with all kinds of broadheads, have not had another fixed blade broad head brake. So for me the width of the cut is more important then a broad head not coming apart on a brick or cinder block. Have not had one kenetic or iron will brake yet on any thing we have shot, living ,target , or realistic testing. 99.9% of the time we lose them before they ever brake.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have only had two ( many but same brands) broad heads brake while in an animal or after passing through ( don't know weather blades shed in animal or after) an animal. They were American broad heads, and ram cats. We have shot all kinds of critters and a lot of pig skulls freshly killed from all kinds of angles and with all kinds of broadheads, have not had another fixed blade broad head brake. So for me the width of the cut is more important then a broad head not coming apart on a brick or cinder block. Have not had one kenetic or iron will brake yet on any thing we have shot, living ,target , or realistic testing. 99.9% of the time we lose them before they ever brake.
Fair point. I am not too concerned about actually snapping a blade, and wouldn't be concerned with breaking a blade in half on either head. However, if the IW takes significantly more force to actually break, then I would assume it also translates into taking more force to curl an edge, bend the tip, etc... before reaching vitals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts