Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just picked up our new family member today, he is a 8 week old male german shepherd, I have had plans on training him to be a shed hunter but know of no one training a shed dog so iv spent the past 3 weeks reading up on it as much as I can. So anyway, I was able to bring him home today, my women ended up buying a basket full of toys and the only thing he likes are the sheds I have sitting on the floor under my deer mounts. How could it get any better then that! I had to put them away, but left a small one out for him, not sure if I should really just let him have it as a chew bone or not though.,anyone have any tips for me. Also all the research if done, i think I only saw 1 other person use a German shepherd.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
image.jpg image.jpg

Sorry guys, dot mean to double post, but it wouldn't let me upload the pic in mu 1st one. But here he is, also his name is Finn

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
In my reading on line, I came across a very respected shed dog trainer that swears his pit bull is the best shed dog he has ever trained. Go figure. All dogs smell very well. I think its more about the dogs personality, drive and willingness to hunt. Best of luck to you and your new friend.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Start'em young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used a tracker to recover a deer in Pike County IL. The dog he used was a German Shepard and that dog was awesome! I know it's a different story between blood and antlers, but I'm sure your pup is fully capable with proper training.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been working with my buddys Chit-Bull (1/2 chiwawa 1/2 Pit) and I feel like she is the perfect dog for his property. Any dog can be trained just have to practice on a daily basis. Ive used a gel they sell for sheds and it seems to work great on my old antlers.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Congrats on the new family member, I am sure he will do great. By the sounds of it he has already taken to the sheds good luck!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Awesome looking little pup there! He will do great, just make sure to make it fun ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't wait till I can really get him going. I wish I could take hm to the woods today, but i think it's just to cold here to have him out there

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I've been working with my buddys Chit-Bull (1/2 chiwawa 1/2 Pit) and I feel like she is the perfect dog for his property. Any dog can be trained just have to practice on a daily basis. Ive used a gel they sell for sheds and it seems to work great on my old antlers.
A "Bull-Chit"!!! lol jk i guess it doesnt really work

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
View attachment 1628144 View attachment 1628144

Sorry guys, dot mean to double post, but it wouldn't let me upload the pic in mu 1st one. But here he is, also his name is Finn
i want one!!! also - i would let him be around sheds as much as possible. im working with my gsp on this right now and i wish i wouldve let him get used to the smell when he was younger. i started playing fetch with a shed last summer with him and if he finds one in the field i let him have it for a little bit and play fetch with it then i put it in my pack and tell him to go find another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts