Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting Barebow so using the tip of the arrow.

Noticed the other day that if I drift right of the spot it seems bit of a battle to get it back, being left of the spot seems to naturally drift into the spot with no effort, pretty happy with my Indoor scores 530's but could be better if I was not in an aiming battle with some shots, if I get stuck I'm letting down because even if I do get on aim again it's rare that I find the gold. Normally a low 8.

At first I thought maybe mild TP but I think now maybe something to do with stance or load balance in my Rhomboids, any ideas as to why I have this issue.

Yesterday I came up left of the spot first and allowed it to naturally drift in, it helped me shoot more relaxed, maybe gravity is wrong here lol

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
Steve -

And your natural point of aim is where?

Viper1 out.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Steve...a close shooting bud of mine (who's a heck of a shot) was riding back home with me from a recent 3D when he asked me...

"So Mr. Jinks?...did you see me doing anything wrong?"

He saw the smile crack across my face and knowing me all too well asked...

"Okay...what?"

which is when I told him that I didn't see him "Settle-in" on a single target...that every one he shot was "A Drive-By"...coming down from the top and never really stopping and holding on the mark. (suggesting that may be the reason why many of his potential 10's became (8's) that dropped just shy of the 10 rings)

He agreed that I was spot-on in my diagnosis and asked me...

"Well Why Didn't You Say Something!?"

I told him that...

"I don't attempt to coach people in the middle of a scored shoot...when they do that to me it tends to mess me up more than help me cause I'm already under an elevated level of stress at shoots so there?...I view it best as you shoot what you came with cause the middle of a match is no time for coaching."

again he agreed and thanked me.

Sounds to me like you've adopted much the same but in a "Horizontal Drive-By" fashion.

The good news is you're aware of it and seeking a proper remedy.

The bad news?...I don't know that I'm qualified to give you one....other than what I told him...which was to...

Start doing "Hold & Let-Down" drills.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
1) 'Stance' is the easy fix, if that's the problem. If the long hand is pointing at 12:01, try rotating your feet positions slightly counter clockwise, to bring the long hand to 12:00.

2) Also, sometimes when I start getting fatigued, my head will start to tilt ever so slightly toward the string (I'm righthanded). This usually results in an 8:00 red.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's no drive by, if I come in from the left it settles on X easy, if I end up right of the spot for any reason it's just much more effort to get back in the spot and adds tension into the shot.

It seems as I settle into bone on bone and load the back, that loading naturally pulls me over, if I start 9pm in the 7 zone once I settle I'm right in the X. Not sure if this is normal and just allow it to happen so I can remain relaxed or address it as an issue and fix the root cause..

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
Steve -

Unless your shoulder alignment has gone awry, something changed and any decent riflemen know that if your natural point of aim isn't centered on the target (meaning, center is where the gun sights want to rest), you'll have to work to center it and that lasts only so long. The bow works the same way.

If you can't figure out the shoulder alignment thing (and quickly) modify your stance (close it slightly, for a righty), and your aim will fall center. I still don't know why this isn't taught with archery. I guess a lot of coaches think that doing more useless work is the way to go ...

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you need to let down if you end up right of the spot...
Maybe take an extra fraction of a second at the setup to be sure you're far enough left to not end up too far right.
Good luck. I hope you get it figured out and you're confidence soars.
You da man Steve

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you need to let down if you end up right of the spot...
Maybe take an extra fraction of a second at the setup to be sure you're far enough left to not end up too far right.
Good luck. I hope you get it figured out and you're confidence soars.
You da man Steve
This is what I did, slightest bit of anxiety get back in the spot I would let down, toward the end it started to become part of my shot routine and shot the last 4 ends very strong. I'll play around with stance to see if I can fix it, if not I'll just go with the flow.

Talking with Kats and one other Estonian Coach, they said my draw isn't straight back, it's more of an arc and this could be why it turns my body slightly when I load up back tension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts