Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly considering getting a 50 pound max bow to shoot 3d with next year. Will I be able to get an ibo open class arrow down to 250 grains at 26 inch shaft length? I would prefer to shoot Easton Lightspeed 500s, but am thinking I may have to switch over to some GT ultralight 600's. Any opinions?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Rating for rating, the Carbon Tech Cheetah is the lightest shaft I've found out there that is a quality shaft.
Their lowest spined shaft is the 25/50, and would weigh 137.8 grains(@26") with the shaft alone. The UL 600 would be 148.2.
Even the next size stiffer, the 35/60 is still only 158.6 grains.
Its an excellent 3-D shaft, and is also offered in the .001 straightness.
Keep in mind,its a pretty good thing to be light, but its a better thing to be accurate and consistant. The CT Cheetah 3-D's give all of the above.:wink:

·
(aka lug nut)
49,092 Posts
jre4192 said:
I'm strongly considering getting a 50 pound max bow to shoot 3d with next year. Will I be able to get an ibo open class arrow down to 250 grains at 26 inch shaft length? I would prefer to shoot Easton Lightspeed 500s, but am thinking I may have to switch over to some GT ultralight 600's. Any opinions?
2005 Bowtech Constitution with 50 lbs limbs and 80% cams

Carbon Tech Cheetah 3D arrow shafts
raw shaft length = 27.00 inches

No arrow wrap
Use VaneTec mini-FITA vanes

Find glue in 60 grain tips

Estimated velocity = 270 fps

4.984 grains per lb of draw weight
FOC = 6.65%

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think you are prob going to have your work cut out for you. the only thing bad about the ultralights the spine isnt very consistent.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
You are just going to have to play with some numbers really. It can be done without much of a problem. I have a buddy that shoots an Apex 7 at 50lbs and a 29" draw with ACEs and he gets over 290 fps. He also has a normal amount of FOC (not sure the exact number but it isn't 7% or anything like that). Also just because you are shooting 50 lbs doesn't mean you will have to shoot a 250 grain arrow to reach 3D speeds. If your draw is 28" depending on the bow you will more than likely have to shoot an arrow the 275-300 grain range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts