Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, its one of those threads... :)

OK, I've been out for a while, want a new bow... so, Ive been looking at bows....been shooting bows..been reading about bows. And Been talking to people about Bows.. seems theres a big "brand name" thing going on. Dont really know what thats all about, but I Talked to this one Mathews guy, and he was pretty offened that i was even considering a Bear, talked to a Bear guy, and he really didnt have much to say about anything ..( i think I scared him or something..too many questions). and then there was this one Hoyt Dude at this pro shop, I mentioned both Bear and mathews and You'd thought I just slapped his mamma...So, they wernt much help.

Anyway, I've kinda narrowed it down. I like the Bear Carnage(shot it at cabelas)..and I like the Mathews MR6 Monster.( shot it at a pro shop)

to me, they both seem really nice. and are priced about the same.. Anybody out there got any negatives on either?.. seems like the monster has a better warranty... but, I shot a bear back in the day, so naturally I looked into them.. Hell IDK, Should I flip a coin.? I'm open to all opinions ;)

thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Or, do what a lot more people are doing now - I've just about decided to ditch the big 4 (or big 5) next time around - Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtech/Diamond, and Bear, and run with one of the many fine smaller makers that have such cult followings (seems for good reason): Elite, Strother, K&K, Obsession, New Breed, High Country, G5 Prime, Athens, Parker, Martin, Alpine, etc., etc. (I left a few out I'm sure). Don't follow the crowd! :) I'm now particularly interested in Elite and Athens. Seems that you get better service, and more innovation/features for the money with some of these. And don't forget the small bow innovators like Hickory Creek and Liberty.

Believe me, Hoyt, Mathews, and PSE are not the end-all, be-all; not necessarily the best.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Before you decide anything I seriously suggest you try out a Elite bow or a Athens bow. Mathews and the other name brand bows are no longer the standard. Elite will be near the top soon.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Do yourself a favor and research Elite? Best warranty in the business period and one hell of a fine bow. Pick up a used one on the classifides and save some dough.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Take a look at Darton also, you won't be disappointed.

·
Public land herd thinner
2,248 Posts
Buying a new bow is like finding the right woman. You have to try out many brands and find the one that best fits you!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Buying a new bow is like finding the right woman. You have to try out many brands and find the one that best fits you!
That's pretty much my feelings on the issue as well.

That being said; either of the two that you like so far are excellent bows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That being said; either of the two that you like so far are excellent bows.
Thanks Iron Mike, Man, I shot allot of Bows, and these are the two Ive narrowed it down to, I was just hoping to find someone who might have first hand experience with either. maybe to prepare myself for any bad tendencies either one might have. or just something that might push me one way or the other.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
there both good bows
a thing to consider is service unless you are doing your own setup and tuning a proshop will more often than not be better for a guy who's been out of the sport for awhile than a box store and if the money is the same well.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there both good bows
a thing to consider is service unless you are doing your own setup and tuning a proshop will more often than not be better for a guy who's been out of the sport for awhile than a box store and if the money is the same well.....
And thats whats really pushing me towards the Monster. the proshop guys really seemed educated. I've been out too long to be tweekin on a new bow..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pick what ever one feels best to you. It doesn't matter what the little logo on the side is as long as it fits you. You will get a lot of opinions here on what brand is better than the other, but take it with a grain of salt, don't let someone else's bias determine what bow you buy. If your gonna spend the money get the one you like the best. But it is a good idea to listen to any problems a particular company or bow might have, make sure it doesn't have a reputation of exploding when you draw it back or something.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I would stay away from bear. The technician at my local bow shop said that after a couple years if you need a part for your bear bow you have to go through a separate company cause bear sells off all parts to older bows. And this is bad costumer service i.m.o. So if you plan on keeping this bow a while forget bear. But if you're gonna buy a new one every year or don't care about good costumer service then go for it and get a bear. If you want a fast, smooth, quiet bow with good customer service try out a 2011 PSE EVO. Awesome bow. Also Elite has amazing customer service and makes some damn good bows. Mathews are super smooth and quiet but over-rated in the speed department. And the carbon element is and overall great bow too. Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you've shot some bows and already narrowed it down to a few you know you like, then good on ya buddy. Everyone looks for different qualities in a bow i.e speed, solid wall, grip style, Smooth draw, forgiveness, etc... Each company big or small has something to offer, whether or not its right for you can only be decided by you.

I have shot all the big name brands and I dig them all, but ultimately I went with what for me I thought was best. So yeah, i've got a "big name" bow as well as a smaller brand bow... both I love, both are different in several ways, but are of equal quality.

So shoot as many as you can and base your decision on what you feel you like the most... JMHO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys for all the info and opinions. Think I'll sleep on it and see what Friday may bring. maybe go shoot them again.. either way, I'm excited to get back to slingin these sticks again.
Great...My buddy just sent me a txt, looks like he just picked up some kinda bowtech... oh lord..and I had already narrowed it down :rolleyes:
I feel a " man you gotta come shoot this" coming on..:rolleyes:

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Man have some fun give traditional a try. Spent 5 years shooting for BowTech and a few other pro staffs. I read an issue of traditional bowhunter last year and something clicked in my brain. Sold all 7 bowtech bout a few longbows and recurves sold my press etc. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH FUN SLINING ARROWS !!!! Give it a try

·
Registered
459 Posts
your biggest mistake is to listen to anyone here. stick to your gut feeling on the bows you shot and liked.any bow is better than no bow.any bow you buy someone here will bash it.buy what shoots best for you.good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well...its friday, and after Shooting more bows, and.... more bows....

I started doing this:
MR6_Monster 009.jpg

So, I told him, I'll take it!.. lol

MR6
MR6_Monster 006.jpg

I've been out for a while, But I have to say I'm very impressed. Very smooth, Very Fast, and looks like a work of art. I think a Made a great choice.

see ya'll around guys, thanks for all the opinions and advice.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Congrats, best of luck this season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts