Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, last weekend I shot a 25 pound REM (guy from NH) recurve. I just kept shooting and shooting, cause O dont think I missed the 3 ring (single spot NFAA) 5 times in about 75 shots out to 15 yards........it was SO much fun.
I started with a recurve and killed my first 6 deer with one. I have a 62 pound Brackenbury from 1984 that I shoot to "see why I shoot a compound"....bottom line.......I couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo.

The Brack used to shoot AWESOME when I was younger and stronger.....now I am older and fatter and weaker.

My Question is this.........what weight bow should I buy in order to start practicing.......I mean the 25 pounder was great out to 15 yards and I could hit a 3D every time....or almost every time, it seemed.......but should I "relearn" on such a light bow????? Or should I get a 35-40 pounder and build up ...........or just learn to shoot the Brack again??????? The last one does not seem feasible.....if any of you saw me shoot it, you would laugh.....it is a MAN's bow to me and I shoot it like a 100 pound compound.....that is, not very well.

Advice.......cause I had a blast shooting that ladies bow.

Also , can you shoot Trad and a compound without goofing up the other style??????

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
62 pounds is no slacker bow. Most new recurve shooters start out with a 40-45lb. bow, but it really depends on your comfort level and what will allow you to build up the correct form. 25lbs is pretty light and very light bows can be difficult to shoot because they really show any flaws in your form.

Most guys I shoot with shoot around 50-55lbs. max and they have been shooting recurve for quite a while. Again it really depends on the individual shooter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think with most of the available arrows 35# has been a nice starting point. You did not say how old,fat,and weaker you are so I will tell you about me.
I shoot comfortablely at 45#, but I have a lot more fun at 34#. AND I hunt with up to 53#. Having enough draw to get a clean release and yet low enough draW WEIGHT TO BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN form THRIUGH ALL YOUR PRACTISE is a personal thing. I see more new guys trying the bow they got on a garage sale(55# and up) and watch them go from a 28" draw to a 23" draw as they collapse with fatigue. Learning FORM is the most important.. after that there is so many bows to buy and try out there it becomes a life long goal to find just the right one(if you find it hold on tight).
Have fun most of all

Rob

·
Registered
537 Posts
My first advice is to go to a store (or if you have a friend with several recurves) and try the bows out. Get a feel for what poundage you like and what models of bow feel good. All of this will give you more help then anything else.

I have learned one thing, if anything. Do not overbow, no point in it (no pun intended). At the same time your arm will streangthen with practice but I would still go with a poundage that feels great for you now.

Find a store or find a friend(s) and enjoy shopping for awhile.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
always -

#35 +/- At YOUR draw length!!!

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Form and mechanics are essentially the same for compound and recurve so you can shoot both. Like said above 35# is the place to learn, the other weights will come. If you have access to a 25# bow and enjoy it, nothing wrong with building form with that bow either.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,813 Posts
Hello AlwaysLooking,

AL>>I mean the 25 pounder was great out to 15 yards and I could hit a 3D every time....or almost every time, it seemed.......but should I "relearn" on such a light bow????? Or should I get a 35-40 pounder and build up ...........or just learn to shoot the Brack again??????? <<

Heck yes!!!! Relearn on that bow.... Learn your form again, Learn what that shot looks like, and perfect yourself. then, purchase a 35 pound bow and apply what you learned with your 25 pound bow... 60# is way to heavy to learn on. You will find that a 10# jump is a fairly big jump.

Dwayne

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Taking all this in......pretty much confirms that I was at least right in that I do not want to start out with the Brack.
I see what you mean as I do not come to a firm anchor with the 62# bow and find myself releasing before I anchor and kinda slapping my chin......no more Brack for now.
By Older Fatter.....I was about 25 pounds lighter and did more physical work when I shot the brack.....I was also 2 inches shorter and darned near half my age.
I gotta say.....traditional is a lot more pure fun.....maybe in a couple years I can take a deer with a recurve.
I will keep you all posted.....its kinda like being a kid all over again.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
a 25# isn't a ladies bow if it is well made and if the arrow head is sharp. as for the 35-40, use it only if you can without difficulty. "use it or lose it" as they say. muscels get used to actions and then can move up.if a 40# is too much, use the 25#. no shame in relearning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts