Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into Archery and after reading everything I have it narrowed down between the PSE Brute X and Bowtech Assassin.

Both are available with "packages" but the edge in price goes to the Bowtech but now by much.

Going to try next weekend and find some places to shoot both bows.

Your thoughts on which one and why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Go and shoot both as well as any others that interest you and see which bow picks you. I haven't shot the Brute but the Assassin is a quality bow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an insanity which is soppose to be a lot like the assassin and I love bowtech makes good quality bows, I was a parker fan for the longest time and switched to bowtech don't let the fanboys of both company's miss lead you, shoot both and see which one u like better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the Brute X is the best deal of 2012. Definately underpriced.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
i would ahve to go with the brute x,, and i ahve shot it, very nice and indeed underpriced, its a bargan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shoot both bows at a shop that was 45 mins away. The PSE was list a little more quiet than the BowTech but the PSE seemed to weigh more. Both are very even in performance. I asked several questions about each bow and not a single one was really answered, all the guy could say is they are both really the same bows. I thought I would get a little more insight than what I did from the person working the store (owner, turns out).
Both bows shoot really well, I almost had a robin hood with the BowTech and the lighter weight of the bow seem to carry a little better.
The only bad thing I have heard about the BowTech has been the finish on the limbs of BowTech. Both have lifetime warranty's. I think I will be going with the BowTech, just wish there was a better dealer around.

·
Registered
543 Posts
PSE you will not be sorry

·
Registered
864 Posts
I shot both the other day and bought an Assassin.

Both bows where set at 61lbs and to me the Assassin had a smoother draw and felt more stable in my hands than the PSE.

Last year when the Assassin came out I shot one set at 60lbs and hit had a huge hump at the end of the draw cycle and a fast drop into the valley and I hated it.

Went to a different shop where the owner takes the time to tune and put the bows to specs before he hangs them on the rack for people to shoot and he had to talk me into it and I am glad he did and this was an 2011 he didn't have his 2012's yet.

Either bow is a great deal at there price but then it just comes down to personal preferance.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Choose the one that feels the best to you!!!

One is a single cam & one is a dual binary cam... Completely different draw cycles (normally)... I've never shot either of these bows personally!!!

From what I read the Assassins have not had the over exaggerated limb finish issues that you've read about!!! And it does come w/ Octane Strings which are supposed to be some of the better stock strings available...

The lower end PSEs come w/ lower end strings that will have issues w/ stretching & creeping & will take a while to settle in... Throwing off the tune & causing peep rotation... unless you replace them w/ high quality strings!!!

Both bows come as a "package" setup to get you going... But realize that these accessories are "OK" at best and you will be replacing them sooner or later as you find other options that work better for you & your buddies as you progress !!! So you may factor that into your decision???

·
When's bow season start?
8,909 Posts
I agree with the "package" comment. It may cost a few more $$$, but I'd much rather buy a bare bow and install the rest and sights I want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It didn't take my kiddo very long to get his Brute X dialed in. We put a d-loop and sight on it Saturday and both shot it a few times. I like it!!!:thumbs_up He did a little tuning and sighted it in today.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice, now I'm wavering on my choice. The bows are so close in performance when I was shooting it was a tough call and still is. Bowtech or PSE, heck it may come down to a coin toss, lol.

It didn't take my kiddo very long to get his Brute X dialed in. We put a d-loop and sight on it Saturday and both shot it a few times. I like it!!!:thumbs_up He did a little tuning and sighted it in today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts