Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to get back into shooting a recurve and had an old 35# PSE coyote, but the limbs are somewhat twisted and I want something for possible deer hunting in the future. I just purchased a hoyt excel riser and am planning on getting a set of medium limbs for it. I had a few questions relating to the limbs and string. First of all since I want to use this for hunting in the future I was going to get 50# TT black max limbs. I am not sure if this is a good idea or if I should just get a set of sf axiom limbs in a lightweight set and buy the hunting limbs later on. Would getting 45# limbs be an okay medium for hunting and relearning proper form or still too heavy? I realize it would be better to buy the lighter set, but don't really want to spend the money on two sets of limbs. Also was looking for a good recommendation on strings. I was planning on just getting a string from Lancaster when I order the limbs so if anyone has a recommendation on a certain string from there that is decent or somewhere else please let me know. Not sure what material to get or if I should do endless or Flemish so any idea would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Be careful about the limb weight. I have 38lb mediums on my 21 inch excel, and 42lbs of actual draw weight. Planning on shooting deer with this bow. It's plenty fast, tuned well, and i'm accurate with it. lunger

·
Registered
454 Posts
If there's one piece of advice I've heard more than any other, with virtually no opposition whatsoever, it's that it's a really good idea to start with lighter limbs and work your way up as your form improves.

So yes, your plan of less expensive, lighter Axiom limbs to start with makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yep, start out with light weight, develop a good consistent shot sequence and the rest is easy. Focus on your form and worry about hitting a bulls eye later. Lots of good qualified folks on here to get advice from. Im not one of them, but I know I struggled for years with my self taught methods before I went to a lighter weight and worked on a solid shot sequence. If you can invest in lessons from Rod Jenkins, Rick Welch or a good local coach. We are all guilty of being ready to throw money at a new bow, but only a few will invest in lessons on how to use their equipment. I have been to both of the coaches I mentioned above and learned a lot from both of them. Most important, have fun.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Also, dont chase the perfect bow that will make you shoot good overnight, it doesnt exist. Your excel and some Tradtech limbs are really all you will ever need as a hunter or 3D shooter. Any bow can put the arrow in the 11 ring everytime, its up to the person behind the string to make it happen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As a hunter, you will spend a lot of time in the woods, and very little of it shooting anything. You can make one shot with a heavier bow. If you are successful, it is now a matter of chasing down a blood trail. On the other hand, you will spend hours preparing for that shot by shooting targets, shooting 3D animals, practicing at different distances, and...well...you get the idea. Get the lighter limbs so you can shoot 60 or more arrows a day without tearing a rotator cuff or doing other damage.

Wade

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Look at the classifieds, especially the FITA section. You can get some light limbs at a good price over there.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
As noted above, start light (like 30#) and work up. You only need 40# for deer. SF Axiom limbs cost under $100 and are good for working your way up - the cost would be even lower used. Also, note that Black Max limbs are measured on a 17" riser with different limb pad angles, so they come out about as marked on a 21" Excel riser. As noted above, if you get 40# TT BM limbs, they will probably end up that or heavier.

Endless loop strings are better, IMHO - more durable and you don't have to worry about twisting/untwisting the wrong direction and having it come apart on you.

I hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts