Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read through a thread on the Formula RX riser where Mr. Addington was really liking the new bow and saw where several good natured ribs were added about shooting longer ranges. I also read something about his 'NFAA Days'. My question is can/does Mr. Addington or other top shoots of other disciplines shoot outside of their 'professional discipline'? Is there pressure to be excellent at the other disciplines and not just be able to have fun shooting for the sake of shooting arrows. If he showed up to an NFAA indoor shoot and shot 230 or shot average at a FITA shoot, would we think less of his accomplishments at short range? Not fair, but I think other shooters may think so. Hopefully he and others in the same situation get a chance to occasionally go 'stumpin' and not be scrutinized on every shot.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nah, I don't think this will happen especially if he's shooting in front of folks who're archers themselves because these people will know how hard and long the journey is to get to the top and stay there.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Howdy gang, thanks for the comments. Don't worry about the "good natured jabs.." I learned to ignore those 25 years ago when I started exhibition shooting. I'd won some state championships but when I started to go into exhibition shooting many said that "you can't do that..."

Remember Teddy Roosevelt said it best, "The credit belongs to the man in the arena." I can't name many famous critics, can you?

I shoot instinctively and enjoy all types of bows---compounds, recurves, and longbows. It doesn't bother me at all to step off stage and shoot. I just rarely have time.

The GAP shooters would sometimes beat me in competitions... a good GAP or point of aim shooter can outshoot an instinctive shooter often times in a NFAA style shoot. However, when movement, unmarked yardages and quick shots are required... well, instinctive shooting shines.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Don't spend a minute worrying about the jabs, I don't.

Enjoy the sport...

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear it! I see fear in good compound shooters eyes when I hand them my recurve and say have at it. Sometimes we let our egos get in the way of good ol fun. I've always thought a good shooter is a good shooter, give him or her time at the selected discipline and the cream will rise to the top.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If it has a string on it I will shoot it.

One time my bows were lost by an airline and I had to do the show with a recurve from the 1950's, the nok was solid and kept sliding and the three arrows I borrowed were all three different.

But the show goes on--- hit the pill the 13th shot.

Frank

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
If he showed up to an NFAA indoor shoot and shot 230 or shot average at a FITA shoot, would we think less of his accomplishments at short range?
Some would, others would not. But the opinion would probably say more about the person who held it than about Frank. ;)

What any top level archer does is specialize. That's how they get to the top. Get someone outside of that and of course they aren't going to be at the top - at first.

John.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I once had a minor league pitcher who worked for me one winter.
I asked him once why pitchers batting averages are poor. His replied "we don't work on it".

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That my friend is a fact. Good quote by the way.

John Wayne, in the movie Rooster Cogburn, said it best, "...them I aint hittin' at I aint' aimin' at..."

I am headed on a celebrity turkey hunt in Wyoming... will post results upon my return.

Shoot Straight,
Frank

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
My question is can/does Mr. Addington or other top shoots of other disciplines shoot outside of their 'professional discipline'?
I'm sure they do or would.

Is there pressure to be excellent at the other disciplines and not just be able to have fun shooting for the sake of shooting arrows.
I'm sure there may be some preasure but it really only exist's in the archer's head. It's a state of mind that can be controlled.

If he showed up to an NFAA indoor shoot and shot 230 or shot average at a FITA shoot, would we think less of his accomplishments at short range?
I wouldn't because it doesn't change what he is already capable of when he smokes those asprin out of the air! :thumbs_up:hail:

Not fair, but I think other shooters may think so. Hopefully he and others in the same situation get a chance to occasionally go 'stumpin' and not be scrutinized on every shot.
Unfortunately...there will be those that scrutinize too much. Where there is greatness...there will often be critics and naysayers.

The best way to deal with it is to always have fun and not give a crap what others think...at least in regards to how you are shooting.

Ray :shade:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts