Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my son's and my first year bow hunting. We practiced all summer with some friends and now we're hunting. We have access to land that is full of deer and turkey. Opening day was Oct. 1 and everytime we went hunting we saw several deer but none within bow range. How can we get the deer within bow range? I bought a grunt call but they seem to ignore it.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
zachnjoe,
Your grunt call is defective. Purchase a different one. :p

Just kidding!
Stalking deer is a difficult proposition. Especially, when there's more than one set of eyes watching your every move. Not to put you off of ground hunting, but since it is your first year, I would suggest treestand hunting to increase your odds of success.

If you prefer and want to stay with ground hunting, locate their trails to and from feeding and bedding areas (just like you do when treestand hunting) and set up in an ambush site (blown down tree, etc.) from which you may take an open shot at reasonable yardage. ;)

As for your grunt call....a doe bleat might produce better and more results, until the rut starts in your area. The Primos "Can" will let you know the type of sound and amount of volume that you're looking for with a doe bleat call (check one out at a local store). Big River makes a good one that's adjustable in pitch to make sounds from fawn to doe to buck and it's called the Pacifier (because that's what it looks like). I've had excellent results calling bucks and does with mine. :cool:

Good luck with your hunting adventures!
Welcome to Archery Talks' message board! :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
171 Posts
YOU NEED TO FIND THE TRAILS LEADING OFF THE FIELDS AND LOOK IN ABOUT 60 YDS FOR TRAILS INTERSECTING THOSE TRAILS AND SETUP. AND THE GRUNT TUBE AT THIS TIME IS NOT AN AFFECTIVE TOOL YET THEYLL IGNORE IT, WAIT ABOUT 2 WEEKLS INTO THE SEASON THEY WILL COME.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Tree Stnds & Deer Lure

Get up in a tree near a trail and use a good deer lure like Tinks Doe P or Tinks Draw @ Lure they will come in close

if not move your Stands

TINK:cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Getting up close a personal is sometimes harder than expeted!Yes you have to be in the right spot for the ambush and being in the air definetely helps ,because your movment(Drawing) isnt at their eye level,but the utmost IMPORTANT thing is being SCENT FREE!;) That starts with scent free showers,and clothing washed in scent free soap and hung outside to dry,then placed in a plastic bag so no orders get exposed to them,put your hunting clothes on just before you walk into the feild,use a cover scent on the bottom of your boats and legs,Eseence of fall seems to work great, urines sometimes seem to get the deer edgy!ALLWAYS watch the wind,under NO circomestance be DOWNWIND of where you are going to have the deer come from,they rely on there nose more tha their eyes,if they smell something but cant see it ,THEY ARE GONE,we humans STINK!Being a good shot with a bow is is a small peice of the pie,first ya have to do everything else right to get a shot!so with this and the other replys ,i hope this is helpfull:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts