Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would we go about getting gun season eliminated or at least moved to the first 2 weeks of January? Way too many nice bucks are killed by accident by hunters that couldn't find their ***** with both hands:tongue:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Just buy a bunch of property in Kansas or Illinois. I will watch it all for you and make sure there are no guns fired on it during deer season.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Nice thought....but you will NEVER get guns out of hunters hands in Texas during the rutting period. There is just too much $$$ involved. You should see how many towns open their arms to hunters the first weekend of gun season. Tons of banquets, BBQ's, raffles. Every little town you drive through has banners hanging in the streets WELCOME HUNTERS. Its really cool actually. Now if they held the same things during Bow season in October...well:darkbeer: :darkbeer: :darkbeer: Enjoy your season.

TEXAS

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I just think it dont make sense to allow the nice bucks to be killed in mass numbers (targeting the ones with the best genetics) before they get a chance to breed.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Got the same problem here. Just a lot of $$$ involved and poeple eher are really ignorant as to management techniques and what is really good for whitetails. Often times here if its brown, its down which kinda a sad deal.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Gun season isn't the problem you're talking about...Your state needs point restrictions and better hunter education about the proper management of whitetails...

Just because a man/woman likes to hunt deer with a rifle doesn't make them a bad hunter...and just because someone likes to hunt them with a bow doesn't make them a good hunter either...!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well they're never going to eliminate gun season because of the money generated and the fact it is their primary means to control the herd size. Gun hunter consistantly fill 50-60% of their tags in a very short 9 day season in the rut here while bow hunters run a 20-25% success rate with a season from September 15th through December 31st.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I think we need to take part of it in our own hands. Try to convince the landowners/hunters around your area to buy into QDM and show them proof that if bucks are passed up that not all of them get shot. You have to start small, but I know it can work.

A while back in NAW I was reading about an area in Missouri that had about 2500 acres at the time in QDM and all the landowners were buying into it. There were not big farms either, but all totaled 2500. The way I see it is like dominos. Once you get a few persuaded then the rest usually end of following.

I just prefer not to leave it up to the state agencies if at all possible. If you could get enought people in your area to buy into then when everyone else would see the gains they would probably do the same, or at least most people would and that would make things far better off than they are currently!!!! Espically in Missouri.

·
Registered
28,167 Posts
"How would we go about getting gun season eliminated or at least moved to the first 2 weeks of January?"

Sounds like a bowhunter elitist attitude to me.

"Way too many nice bucks are killed by accident by hunters that couldn't find their ***** with both hands"

Sounds like you're jealous.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Good luck with this one.
You're better then the gun hunters because??
Ever thought of taking up gun hunting?
Even if we would like to be we are not the only ones that enjoy hunting for deer. The gun hunters are not the problem your game departments are.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bow only

My father hunted deer for 74 years with a firearm only. Never shot a bow in his life. You want to dictate to him when he can hunt, because of when you want to hunt. As hunters we all need to stick together, it is talk like this that creates alot of our problems. Go to a black powder or rifle sight and they want to get rid of the bowhunters. Tom:wink: .

·
Registered
468 Posts
well

As a gun and bow hunter, that is just the type of BS attitude that makes us all look like arrogant snobs.

Get real.

In the end who gives a rats ass how big a rack is, is that what hunting is about to you guys?

IMHO that statement would warrant a good swift butt kicking.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
HEAD0001 said:
My father hunted deer for 74 years with a firearm only. Never shot a bow in his life. You want to dictate to him when he can hunt, because of when you want to hunt. As hunters we all need to stick together, it is talk like this that creates alot of our problems. Go to a black powder or rifle sight and they want to get rid of the bowhunters. Tom:wink: .

That is a good point, but I also think that it is our job to keep the healthiest deer herd possible. That would mean getting buck to doe ratios in check. Since people can't seem to do it on their own this has left state agencies only one choice. If everyone would look out for the deer herd instead of themselves then they wouldn't have to change any deer season.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
TEXAS 10PT said:
Nice thought....but you will NEVER get guns out of hunters hands in Texas during the rutting period. There is just too much $$$ involved. You should see how many towns open their arms to hunters the first weekend of gun season. Tons of banquets, BBQ's, raffles. Every little town you drive through has banners hanging in the streets WELCOME HUNTERS. Its really cool actually. Now if they held the same things during Bow season in October...well:darkbeer: :darkbeer: :darkbeer: Enjoy your season.

TEXAS
I wish every town was this friendly towards hunters. That sound like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
No way do I want to eliminate gun season here in Oklahoma, but I would like to see it moved back to the first couple of weeks in December. We also need some buck restrictions here as well.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
TEXAS 10PT said:

TEXAS
It is the same here in Missouri as other places I am sure. I can't blame the convenience stores and restaurants that is how they make a living and it brings in a lot of revenue for small towns so it is not all bad. All the hunters just need to do their part to keep the herd healthy. You can keep a healthy herd and also take deer at the same time. It is a win-win situation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't Fight your Fellow Hunters!

Mathewsfan said:
How would we go about getting gun season eliminated or at least moved to the first 2 weeks of January? Way too many nice bucks are killed by accident by hunters that couldn't find their ***** with both hands:tongue:

Lets not tamper with other hunters choice of weapons, we're all on the same team. Just remember that!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Ill try and get back to the original post and, what he is implementing is that gun season be moved after the rut has subsided. Look at the states that have done this and look at the quality at bucks that guys can shoot EVERYYEAR, not once every 2-3 yrs. I am talking 150-160 class on average.

As you can see I am from Iowa and the rut has been over for 2 weeks before shotgun hunters are allowed to enter the woods and Early M/L is open 2 weeks before the actual rut gets under way. With saying all this Gun hunters still have the advantage over bow hunters regardless of when they are hunting.
When you have 50 deer being pushed through a timber right at some guys with guns who couldnt be tagged out, and most of them are does. Occasionally the gun hunters get lucky but with my instances it is very rare for someone to take a 150-160" deer out of a deer drive. They are smart animals and that is why they get that big.

I am with letmgrow on this one, that is what I started doing on the farms I hunt and educated the landowners on what is happening. Most gun hunters will see brown and its down mentality, the ones that hunt the ground I bow hunt on and gun hunt (from a stand) are anyway, I am pushing for them to tell the people that do have permission to either shoot does and shoot bucks that they would personally get shoulder mounted so we all can have a chance at that dandy buck every year instead of every 2-3 yrs.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I agree on a selfish level.

The biggest problem I see facing bowhunters on this is the fact that few game department's mission statement includes the "growing of the biggest bucks possible". Usually their missions are to control deer numbers and provide opportunity to hunters.

I think you'd be better off to provide them with biological evidence and statistical reasons to move the gun season....not just some elitist attitude.:)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
In Missouri it would help tremedously if we could get the gun season moved back. The way it sets now rifle season is always during the rut. Missouri did put point restrictions on in some areas which helps to an extent. I think if you moved the rifle season to the beginning of December you would see a big difference. Right now the way its set up, they put a target on anything with 4 points on one side. Now if someone sees a smaller 8 point, "well its legal." But hunting with rifles during the rut is also what draws a lot of money to Missouri and the conservation department. So getting it changed is probably not going to happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts