Archery Talk Forum banner

Getting Heavy

578 Views 18 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Jwillman6
I need to get my arrow weight up for a water buffalo hunt down here in Australia, I will be using Easton FMJ,s with 150 silver flames and have found some silicone fuel line that fits the shafts nicely.

What other methods has everyone used to get the weight up and what seems to be the optimum weight with out trading of too much speed. I will only be shooting a 70# 29" Gt500 as I don't have enough time to line up some 80# limbs.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6,155 Posts
I have seen people use a piece of rope inside their arrows, they use a piece that will just fit inside the diameter of the arrow, and just long enough so that they can still get the nock in with a snug fit to stop the piece of rope from moving around inside the arrow.

Your fuel line may be heavier than rope though, i don't know ???

Woody

· Registered
862 Posts
I just shoot a heavy shaft. I am currently shooting the beman max4 arrows and my total arrow weight is 560. I have added peep tubing to the inside of a shaft to see what it would do. I was able to get the arrow to 700 grains and it still flew true. The peep tubing I have is 4gpi(measured on a grain scale) and it is flexible enough that it doesn't effect spine at all.

· Registered
57 Posts
Screw in weights are the best with a heavy shaft and broadhead. Gold tip make screw in weights that screw in the back of the insert and fit nicely in the shaft. You can join as many as you like and get the exact weight you want. I am sure other companys would probably have something similar as well.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know, i haven't ever hunted one, maybe longtandan knows, he said he's using a 70# bow, so that might be it ???

Woody
Im hoping 70# and 750 grain arrow will be enough, the local boys seem to manage reasonably well with 70#. I could handle 80# but I dont have that set up at the moment.

Live weight on a bull would be over 2000#, hope I dont get sat on
:teeth:

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Carbon Express weight tubes.
or
Try inserting an older "skinny" pultruded carbon shaft inside.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Weed eater nylon line works great and it doesn't change the spine of your arrow. Get the biggest dia. possible. Good luck on your hunt and post some pictures!

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,927 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what will have a nice tight fit. I used the larger dia carbons with the weight tubes. I also don't know if you can get the 100gr brass inserts to fit those shafts. The 210gr Steelforce dangerous game head helps. We shot 80lb bows with 825-850gr arrows and got passthrus.

I can tell you salt and sand will compress/disintegrate after shooting and change the flight of your arrow- not good.

If you don't glue in the line trimmer cord it will blow out your inserts and noks. You really need a tight fit with whatever you are using. Great country,good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.