Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not there yet
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting more and more interested in shooting 900 rounds and FITA tournaments. I'd like to stay with the barebow recurve (FITA definition) or traditional (NFAA definition) style. I'm trying to do my homework by perusing the FITA rulebook (NAA online version) and NAA site describing the various tournaments, but I still have some questions for you knowledgable folk.

1. The various indoor and outdoor target tournments indicate a barebow recurve class, but this class is described only in the field portion of the rulebook. Is this class a recent addition and therefore hasn't yet been added to the indoor and outdoor target portions of the rulebook?

2. The indoor target rules indicate that the distance is either 18 or 25 meters. The National Indoor Championships are shot at the 18 meter distance, correct? When is the 25 meter distance used?

3. At the Nat'l Indoor Championships, are the barebow rigs used by the top shooters commonly set up specially for just this distance, i.e., lightweight bows coupled with very heavy arrows? I've read that this occurs in the NFAA traditional class for the 20-yard shoots. However, since FITA allows stringwalking, perhaps the special rigs aren't necessary?

If my understanding is off-base, just point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Arcus said:
I'm getting more and more interested in shooting 900 rounds and FITA tournaments. I'd like to stay with the barebow recurve (FITA definition) or traditional (NFAA definition) style. I'm trying to do my homework by perusing the FITA rulebook (NAA online version) and NAA site describing the various tournaments, but I still have some questions for you knowledgable folk.

1. The various indoor and outdoor target tournments indicate a barebow recurve class, but this class is described only in the field portion of the rulebook. Is this class a recent addition and therefore hasn't yet been added to the indoor and outdoor target portions of the rulebook?

2. The indoor target rules indicate that the distance is either 18 or 25 meters. The National Indoor Championships are shot at the 18 meter distance, correct? When is the 25 meter distance used?

3. At the Nat'l Indoor Championships, are the barebow rigs used by the top shooters commonly set up specially for just this distance, i.e., lightweight bows coupled with very heavy arrows? I've read that this occurs in the NFAA traditional class for the 20-yard shoots. However, since FITA allows stringwalking, perhaps the special rigs aren't necessary?

If my understanding is off-base, just point me in the right direction.
Re #1: FITA (the international organization whose rules we follow) only recognizes Barebow for Field Archery, which is why the equipment description is found only in the rules (Book 4) which apply. However, the NAA does recognize Barebow Division for both Outdoor Target and Indoor Target tournaments based on the equipment description in the Field Archery rules. A consequence of this is that National Records may be set in these disciplines (Indoor & Outdoor) in the Barebow Division, but World Records cannot.
Re #2: At one time, the FITA World Indoor Championships consisted of both a 25-meter Round and an 18-meter Round. When that was changed several years ago to just an 18-meter Round with an OR, most indoor tournaments also were limited to just 18-meter Rounds. However, I have seen some U.S. indoor tournaments advertised which included both distances, although I don't remember specifically which ones.
Re #3: The barebow archers on this forum will be able to answer this question for you.

Sincerely,

Jane

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Arcus,

I think I can answer your last question, as I am a Barebow Recurve shooter and have met and talked with a few others. The majority of FITA Barebow types are string walkers. They don't seem to generally go to the extreems NFAA Indoor Barebow shooters do because they can walk down the string to get on at 18m (or 20 yards for that matter). I am a face walker so I'm sort of the odd man out. I shoot a 40# recurve with alumnum arrows for NFAA Indoors and will probably use the same equipment for NAA Indoors if I get the chance to compete.

So far I have participated in American 900 rounds (yards) with the Senior Olympics and FITA 900 rounds (meters) at local clubs. I hope to shoot a full FITA round Barebow this coming year and am working toward that goal now. Mostly I have to find my point of aim at the extended distances (70 & 90 meters).

I encourage you to give Barebow Recurve a try. It is very challenging and great fun. Don't over look FITA Field either. Next to my first love, NFAA Field, it is the best game around (smiley face goes here).

Dave

·
Not there yet
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jane & Dave T -

Wow. Thanks for providing such thorough answers to my questions. Be warned - you might be getting pestered by a few pm's from me as I get more into it (I think I've already pestered Jim C enough with my pm's, so I need to start spreading them around. :smile: )

·
Archery Coach
23,358 Posts
Jane said:
Re #1: FITA (the international organization whose rules we follow) only recognizes Barebow for Field Archery, which is why the equipment description is found only in the rules (Book 4) which apply. However, the NAA does recognize Barebow Division for both Outdoor Target and Indoor Target tournaments based on the equipment description in the Field Archery rules. A consequence of this is that National Records may be set in these disciplines (Indoor & Outdoor) in the Barebow Division, but World Records cannot.
Re #2: At one time, the FITA World Indoor Championships consisted of both a 25-meter Round and an 18-meter Round. When that was changed several years ago to just an 18-meter Round with an OR, most indoor tournaments also were limited to just 18-meter Rounds. However, I have seen some U.S. indoor tournaments advertised which included both distances, although I don't remember specifically which ones.
Re #3: The barebow archers on this forum will be able to answer this question for you.

Sincerely,

Jane
Ohio continues to have a 25M event -several world records have been set at the Ohio indoor as a result in compound-Brandon Spray, Ashley Kamuf, and Jamie Van Natta have all set 25 WR in our shoot. My wife is now shooting FITA BB/NFAA traditional and I can ask her some advice.

I believe Utah has one too

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Arcus said:
Jane & Dave T - Wow. Thanks for providing such thorough answers to my questions. Be warned - you might be getting pestered by a few pm's from me as I get more into it (I think I've already pestered Jim C enough with my pm's, so I need to start spreading them around. :smile: )
Arcus,

Be glad to talk with you anytime. I am far from an authority but I love to talk about the subject of barebow recurve shooting...after all, it's kind of lonely out here (smiley face goes here).

Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all

I am a barebow/traditional recurve shooter up here in Washington. I have done 4 FITA events, and two 900 events with my simple non-sighted recurve bow.

I shot a Star FITA event last month, and they didn't even have a barebow/traditional class, so I shot against all the other sighted recurve and compound shooters. Yeah, I may come in last place, but I have a blast.

Right now I am trying to find a clear set of rules for this division so I can shoot in national events. So far everything I have read are vague. i.e. what is up with this 4.8 inch diameter hole thing for a FITA Barebow?

Hopefully this group can help me out.

Pete

·
Archery Coach
23,358 Posts
Robot-guy said:
I am a barebow/traditional recurve shooter up here in Washington. I have done 4 FITA events, and two 900 events with my simple non-sighted recurve bow.

I shot a Star FITA event last month, and they didn't even have a barebow/traditional class, so I shot against all the other sighted recurve and compound shooters. Yeah, I may come in last place, but I have a blast.

Right now I am trying to find a clear set of rules for this division so I can shoot in national events. So far everything I have read are vague. i.e. what is up with this 4.8 inch diameter hole thing for a FITA Barebow?

Hopefully this group can help me out.

Pete
this is to prevent protruding weights. Take your bow and unstring it-it has to fit through a 12.2 diameter hole which is the ten ring on a standard FITA 122 cm target (or all the yellow in a 60 CM field target). You can have weights on a FBB but no stabilizers (the terms get a bit interesting-no doinkers with a weight for example). Chrome balls or "cuckoo clock" weights are popular-my wife shoots the spigarelli club 650 which has a massive riser with internal weights-before she shot a PSE intrepid with chrome balls.. I have also seen someone take a piece of sheet metal-make a 3 sided box and bolt it so it surronds the back (ie facing the target) and two sides of the riser below the grip.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Pete,

Jim is right about the 4.8" ring. I have added weights in the stabilizer bushing but they have to be short enough to fit through that ring.

FITA only lists Barebow Recurve rules under "Field" regulations. NAA recognizes Barebow Recurve for target archery following FITA's field rules. There was only a handfull of barebow recurve shooters at the Nationals in Colorado Springs.

I am going to try my first full FITA at the Dual in the Desert here in Arizona. I think I may be the only Barebow Recurve shooter there so I've got first place wrapped up (LOL). Of course I'm going to come in last too (smiley face goes here).

Dave

PS: I shoot in the Barebow Class with NFAA because I am a face walker. Most FITA Barebow shooters are string walkers so they are in NFAA's Barebow Class too. That means we shoot against compounds with no sights, shot with fingers. Unlike FITA, NFAA does allow stabilizers in this class but I stick with my FITA legal rig for the most part.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Uh.....dumb here........

I'm reading these posts with a lot of interest.....but - I'm TOTALLY stupid about what you can and can't shoot in a barebow comp. class.
I have a Hoyt Gamemaster 45 lbs that I shoot for everything (hunting included). Can I use my hunting stabilizer on it? (4inches)....can I use my flipper rest? I know this is dumb, but I LOVE archery as well and while I can't afford a Olympic recurve right now - I'd still love to compete.
Thanks!
Ron

·
Archery Coach
23,358 Posts
Robot-guy said:
Are we talking a 12.2 cm ring that can twist and turn with the shape of the bow, or are we talking that the entire unstrung bow must fit inside a pipe that has a 12.2 cm internal diameter?
it has to fit through a rigid plastic ring 12.2 CM in diameter

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I either read or heard someone say that none of the Hoyt "tech" bows, with the back brace will fit through the 4.8" circle. Also, camo paint jobs are not allowed as the color markings can be construed as "aiming aids". Don't know if your Gamemaster has the black riser or the camo but thought it was worth mentioning - for future reference.

Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
So let me get this straight, as long as I can slide a 12.2 cm diameter ring from one end of the bow to the other, then it is legal, regardless if the entire bow can't fit inside a 12.2 cm diameter pipe.

I am just trying to make sure I have this understood. I am having a new riser made for me. I broke mine in the handle 3 weeks ago. I only wish someone caught it on video. It was spectacular.

Another question here:

The FITA rules 9.3.3.1 states "The pressure point may not be placed any further back than 2cm (inside) from the throat of the handle (pivot point) of the bow." for the barebow division.

Exactly what does this mean? I still learning the terminology, and different people/groups use different words for the same thing which can get confusing.

Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
Robot-guy said:
So let me get this straight, as long as I can slide a 12.2 cm diameter ring from one end of the bow to the other, then it is legal, regardless if the entire bow can't fit inside a 12.2 cm diameter pipe.

**Yes, that's right.

I am just trying to make sure I have this understood. I am having a new riser made for me. I broke mine in the handle 3 weeks ago. I only wish someone caught it on video. It was spectacular.

Another question here:

The FITA rules 9.3.3.1 states "The pressure point may not be placed any further back than 2cm (inside) from the throat of the handle (pivot point) of the bow." for the barebow division.

Exactly what does this mean? I still learning the terminology, and different people/groups use different words for the same thing which can get confusing.

**This has to do with an "overdraw". You can have the arrow rest as much as 2 cm back toward the archer from the pivot point (which is just above the deepest point on the grip).

Jane

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.