Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got gold tip series 22 arrows, problem is I got a whisker biscuit, can anyone recommend a rest? Limb driven vs Blades? Im a newbie so any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Well I got gold tip series 22 arrows, problem is I got a whisker biscuit, can anyone recommend a rest? Limb driven vs Blades? Im a newbie so any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!
Nothing wrong with a biscuit. In fact I think it's the best rest for a beginner. But if you feel the need for a better rest, I would recommend full containment to start. Qad, ripcord, hamskea, aae, trophy ridge, take your pick. They're all good.

I like the qad hdx. It's pricey, but it's smooth to operate and the arrow can't fall out.

Or just get a blade rest and try to hang with the big dogs, but be aware that there is a learning curve. It gets aggravating when the arrow falls off the blade. It's not that hard to learn if you aren't over bowed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another good rest is an NAP Apache dropaway rest. Inexpensive, good containment and a wide arrow rest. I love mine. Lots of practice! Have fun

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Ice Cold
11,854 Posts
Limbdriver micro elite. I use mine with a blade but you can use the regular launcher and not have to worry much about the arrow falling off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
The best dropaway out on the market is Trophy Taker smackdown pro!

·
Mountain Life
6,863 Posts
Yeah, I wish I could keep my whisker Biscuit but the arrow diameter is too big
They make them in small, medium and large. You can find replacements on the web.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
this is just my opinion. unless you are headed for the pro circuit and worried about sponsorship, stick w/ your hunting rig. to me anyway 3d is just practice for the real deal(ie deer antelope turkeys and bears in the flesh) I have a great time @ the 3d shoots I go to and i'm reasonably serious about it and I usually shoot better than @ least 75% of the shooters there. but I don't care about shooting better than everybody else its more like 'did I put a good killing shot on every target I shot @' like I said its fun and its also serious practice. ps I shoot w/ a biscuit and have won tournaments and money shoots w/ the biscuit

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
You need to decide which class and what the rules are for your selected class, some classes require screw in tips, some don't. Will you be shooting a known or unknown class? Is this just for fun or are you wanting to get serious? These are questions you need to research.
As for the rest I would find a used QAD HDX in the classifieds, they carry a lifetime warranty so no worries!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shoot your hunting arrows. There is a hunting class and I bet your hunting setup would work great. Shoot what you got for a season and have fun. It will definitely make you a better hunter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have shot 3D for a couple of years now. I use my hunting rig with no changes. I use a whisker biscuit. I have won a couple, and placed 2nd or 3rd several times. Some days I have shot like crap. But like someone said above, just trying to put good kill shots in the target. I too mainly just do it for fun and to keep my hunting skills sharp. It all depends on how serious you want to take it. It can be frustrating too. Because on a lot of the targets, depending on their placement, a good scoring shot is NOT a kill shot in many instances. There is a learning curve with knowing where the scoring rings are on each target.

·
Socket Man
23,832 Posts
Just get a hamskea hybrid pro and stop thinking about it, it is a good rest and will take care of you.

As far as 3d, you just need to get into your truck and go to the indoor leagues this winter in your area and get to knowing people and make some friends. If you are lucky there will be a local pro or top level shooter and you can hang around and learn from him. This is the fastest way to learn the right way to set up and shoot etc.

If you can't find any winter leagues then just train all winter the best you can and hit all of the local stuff in your area and find some friends there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts