Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Muzzy 4bl 100gr bh's since my sheep hunt in March. I have shot one sheep, one hog, and a raccoon with them. Neither the sheep or hog left a spot of blood. The sheep ran about 50 yards and fell over. The hog was never recovered, but the shot was high in no man's land. I understand shot placement is 99% of the game, but my muzzy blades out of the package do not feel that sharp, shave, or cut rubber bands. I could switch to montecs or razorcaps, but my muzzys group with my field points and I like having the extra blade. Not to mention I don't want to spend another 30 bucks on broadheads. What is the best way to sharpen the replacement blades? Or is this futile and I need to switch to a fixed 3 blade head?

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
That is one thing that I like about muzzys, they always come sharp out of the box, and so do the replacement blades, you may have got a bum pack or something, I would just buy some more replacement blades and a quiver that sont dull them up. :beer:

·
Registered
403 Posts
read an article that rated a bunch of broadheads in a bunch of different areas. the muzzys ranked real high in sharpness out of the package. like said above you may have some bum ones

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,527 Posts
Dude608 said:
read an article that rated a bunch of broadheads in a bunch of different areas. the muzzys ranked real high in sharpness out of the package. like said above you may have some bum ones
I'm interested were you read this. Not that I disagree, its just I would like to read it as well.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Good thread!

Stingers are sharp! G5 Montecs are not! They must be sharpened! Unless of course, they have started pre-sharpening them! With all the folks indicating how hard they are to sharpen! I wish that they would! However, I have had no problem getting them sharp! I love the Montecs and have killed alot of deer and hogs with them.
The Magnus Stingers are scary sharp! The Muzzy's did'nt used to be very sharp but I have heard that they have improved.
Just my past experience starting as sharpest:
1. NAP New archery and the T-heads
2. Rocky Mtn.
3. Wasp SST
4. Magnus Stinger a tie with the Wasp
5. Grim Reaper
6. Muzzy
That's all that I have recent experience with. I am sure that the Wac'ems and the Slicks fit in the upper categories but I just dont know. I am sure there are a few who can inform us.
I am very curious about the Wac'ems and the Slicks.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I can ASSURE you the Slick Tricks are sharp. While it is a bit of hyperbole, I'm gonna say it anyhow, mostly cause it sounds cool: They so sharp when I look at 'em my eyes hurt. :eek: :teeth: I have heard a coupla guys discuss the relative sharpness of various heads and have heard in times PAST that Muzzy heads could use a sharpening when you buy them. My personal opinion is now that b-heads are starting to sell in 3 packs for 20 bucks a pop, the least they could be is scalpel sharp--NOT razor sharp. The difference is in the angle of sharpening. I understand scalpels are sharpened on a fifteen degree angle, whereas razors are 25 degree. Don't know if it is true, but I have held both instruments in my hand, and the scalpel made me a whole helluva lot more nervous than any razor!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dreamer if i did not throw out the mag i will get you the article. Have a tourny sun so i might not be able to check until mon. have to go through a whole stack of mags.

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,527 Posts
Dude608 said:
have to go through a whole stack of mags.
Don't bother. It really doesn't matter that much. I was just curious. Besides. I probably get the same mag and already read the article and just forgot...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was going to post this same question when I saw the topic. Mine don't feel as sharp as they could be either. So back to the original question, can they be sharpened somehow? With the blade design, don't think a lansky would work. Ideas? I know somebody out there has tried.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
hdforester said:
I was going to post this same question when I saw the topic. Mine don't feel as sharp as they could be either. So back to the original question, can they be sharpened somehow? With the blade design, don't think a lansky would work. Ideas? I know somebody out there has tried.
Thanks.
I have not had much luck locating a sharpener for 4 blade muzzy's either. If you hear of one let me know. I would like ot have it also.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
90% of the new Muzzys blades I have used have been very sharp. I did have a package of 100 gr. 3 blade that were very dull right out of the package. They were not cut or sharpened corrcetly and 1 side was rounded over and did not have an edge on it at all. I called Muzzy and asked for a set of free replacement blades. They sent them immediately for no charge and they were very sharp. They also did not seem surprised that I received a bad set of blades, nor did they seem surprised I was asking for free replacements. They just took care of the problem with no questions asked, which I thought was great customer service. I still use 4 blade, 125 gr. Muzzys today, and have not run into another dull batch of blades.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I had a Muzzy sharpener one time!

It had two seperate flat stones and could be set at varying angles. I'll look and see if I can find it. If I can I'll send it to one of you. It worked pretty good atleast I could get mine sharper than they came.
Sounds as if Muzzy still has an issue with their sharpness. Either that or I'd take them back or contact them about it...if they are the company that everyone says they are they'll send you some new blades or try to make them right.
When I had trouble with their head and contacted them they acted as if they were going to help but never did. So I changed back to T-heads. Just never had any problems with them, and were really sharp!
I am not real sure, but there are 3-proshops down here and they wont even carry the Muzzy's, when I asked one of them why..."I ain't missed'em and have'nt carried them for this makes 3-yrs.now." This was the largest one in Middle-Ga.
I thought they were always pretty good heads myself!

·
Just Deux It!
314 Posts
Diamond hook hone

I always touch up my blades with a diamond fish hook hone. The superfine grit of the diamond particles will take ANY blade from sharp to scary-sharp in a minute or two. Don't forget, many quivers can dull blades over time.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ashland Viper said:
90% of the new Muzzys blades I have used have been very sharp. I did have a package of 100 gr. 3 blade that were very dull right out of the package. They were not cut or sharpened corrcetly and 1 side was rounded over and did not have an edge on it at all. I called Muzzy and asked for a set of free replacement blades. They sent them immediately for no charge and they were very sharp. They also did not seem surprised that I received a bad set of blades, nor did they seem surprised I was asking for free replacements. They just took care of the problem with no questions asked, which I thought was great customer service. I still use 4 blade, 125 gr. Muzzys today, and have not run into another dull batch of blades.
That's great I am glad to hear they took care of you! :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts