Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not too proud to admit it. I missed. My target buck Along with 6 younger bucks worked his way into my food plot he finally got broadside at 30 yards I settled into my anchor point and layed the pin on the bottom 1/3 of the buck right behind the front leg and released the arrow without punching the trigger. Arrow zipped an inch or so under it. The buck never ducked the shot whatsoever and my string brushed my rain jacket on release. Not making excuses because I doubt that was enough to cause my arrow to drop that much. The buck didn’t know what happened walked off to 50 yards and began to feed again slowly away from me. This is my first time I’ve ever missed a chip shot like that. How do you even get over something like this.This is my 3rd year bow hunting.
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Grass

Flash photography Natural landscape Font Water Rectangle

· Registered
4,381 Posts
I can tell you if you live long enough. Eventually you will tell the story with a smile and maybe even laugh about it.

Almost all living creatures get lucky once in a while. That buck, he got lucky. It was his day, not yours.

And one day in your life, if you have not already, will like the proverbial saying " dodge a bullet " more than likely.

And when you do, you just go shhheeewww, that was close.

· Registered
565 Posts
I’m not too proud to admit it. I missed. My target buck Along with 6 younger bucks worked his way into my food plot he finally got broadside at 30 yards I settled into my anchor point and layed the pin on the bottom 1/3 of the buck right behind the front leg and released the arrow without punching the trigger. Arrow zipped an inch or so under it. The buck never ducked the shot whatsoever and my string brushed my rain jacket on release. Not making excuses because I doubt that was enough to cause my arrow to drop that much. The buck didn’t know what happened walked off to 50 yards and began to feed again slowly away from me. This is my first time I’ve ever missed a chip shot like that. How do you even get over something like this.This is my 3rd year bow hunting. View attachment 7721256
View attachment 7721254
In 2016 I missed the same deer twice that season, first huge 11 pointer been dreaming to tag him had him on camera in an urban area I could hunt that was only 5 acres but full of good bucks and a bunch of does would cut through there regularly. I chased that buck more than any other buck before, easy 160. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I spent on that one deer and finally one day late November I get a crack at him, he was chasing does so hard I saw him run by my stand 3 times withing a couple of hours. On the 4th time the doe busted me in the stand and stopped about 40 yards out guess who stopped right behind her perfectly broadside? I judged him to be at 30, I knew my one pin set up would hit a hair low out to 32, so I aimed right for a heart shot and let it fly knowing he would drop. I saw the arrow fly perfectly and hit and a couple of inches right under his brisket, never dropped, never even knew what happened he was so focused on those does. I tried to rush and grab another arrow and the does saw me and took off and he along with them. When I got down at midday and went to the spot he was and ranged it, it was exactly 34 and since he didn't drop no wonder I missed barely under him. Didn't see him again for several weeks but I had him on camera again in late December so I continued looking for him. On the last day of the season guess who shows up at last light? Yup, this time 22 yards perfectly broadside, had all the time in the world to settle my pin and let the perfect shot fly, guess who decided to drop and roll this time, yup, I missed again shot right over his back. The following season I decided to quit targeting specific bucks, I quit using camera and decided I would just hit and shoot whatever got the heart racing. My 2017 season I pinwheeled everything I shot at that year including my biggest buck in public land to date, I still don't target specific deer and just got old school and let the woods decide what happens. I guess I never got over that 160, still ain't over it. I guess that's why I'd rather not know what I'm hunting so I don't obsess or stress over it and just enjoy the stand time.

· Registered
3,549 Posts
I missed one on Friday night. Decent 8 at 20 yards, a chip shot by all accounts. He came behind me and I had to twist around due to my footing. Shot was off-kilter and it went low. Shot my bow the next day and also realized I was hitting 6” low at twenty. That didn’t help either. You’ll get over it, you may likely get another chance. A clean miss is still better than a bad shot. Keep charging back into the woods.

· Registered
85 Posts
Keep telling yourself how you would be feeling had you made a bad hit and wounded/lost that great deer. Miss on a big buck is hard to swallow, but losing one and knowing you wounded one from a shot gone south is WAY worse. While we do everything in our power to prevent that, it is always a possibility. Clean miss in the end is a Godsend!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts