Archery Talk Forum banner

Getting over a missed shot.

3141 67
I’m not too proud to admit it. I missed. My target buck Along with 6 younger bucks worked his way into my food plot he finally got broadside at 30 yards I settled into my anchor point and layed the pin on the bottom 1/3 of the buck right behind the front leg and released the arrow without punching the trigger. Arrow zipped an inch or so under it. The buck never ducked the shot whatsoever and my string brushed my rain jacket on release. Not making excuses because I doubt that was enough to cause my arrow to drop that much. The buck didn’t know what happened walked off to 50 yards and began to feed again slowly away from me. This is my first time I’ve ever missed a chip shot like that. How do you even get over something like this.This is my 3rd year bow hunting.
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Grass

Flash photography Natural landscape Font Water Rectangle
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In 2016 I missed the same deer twice that season, first huge 11 pointer been dreaming to tag him had him on camera in an urban area I could hunt that was only 5 acres but full of good bucks and a bunch of does would cut through there regularly. I chased that buck more than any other buck before, easy 160. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I spent on that one deer and finally one day late November I get a crack at him, he was chasing does so hard I saw him run by my stand 3 times withing a couple of hours. On the 4th time the doe busted me in the stand and stopped about 40 yards out guess who stopped right behind her perfectly broadside? I judged him to be at 30, I knew my one pin set up would hit a hair low out to 32, so I aimed right for a heart shot and let it fly knowing he would drop. I saw the arrow fly perfectly and hit and a couple of inches right under his brisket, never dropped, never even knew what happened he was so focused on those does. I tried to rush and grab another arrow and the does saw me and took off and he along with them. When I got down at midday and went to the spot he was and ranged it, it was exactly 34 and since he didn't drop no wonder I missed barely under him. Didn't see him again for several weeks but I had him on camera again in late December so I continued looking for him. On the last day of the season guess who shows up at last light? Yup, this time 22 yards perfectly broadside, had all the time in the world to settle my pin and let the perfect shot fly, guess who decided to drop and roll this time, yup, I missed again shot right over his back. The following season I decided to quit targeting specific bucks, I quit using camera and decided I would just hit and shoot whatever got the heart racing. My 2017 season I pinwheeled everything I shot at that year including my biggest buck in public land to date, I still don't target specific deer and just got old school and let the woods decide what happens. I guess I never got over that 160, still ain't over it. I guess that's why I'd rather not know what I'm hunting so I don't obsess or stress over it and just enjoy the stand time.
I’ve spent so much cash to know exactly what deer are out there by running 6 plus cell cams and monitoring everything that I honestly think it’s taken some of the fun out of it. like you said just letting the woods decide might make it more fun for me. But I know I can’t give up my cell cams they’re too much fun to watch and pattern deer on themselves.

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,093 Posts
I still haven't gotten over the shot I didn't get to make last season due to a goof on my part.

Ever been on a golf course and seen clubs broken in half? Imagine one of those guys hunting and what might happen to a bow if things didn't go there way, priceless! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Brb230

· Registered
370 Posts
Three seasons into bowhunting I would shoot anything I can,pretty much. I am in my 6th or 7th season and still don't let many does walk. Shooting at the real thing is very different from shooting foam. I really have to focus to keep it together on a doe even.
The only way to become a killer is to kill.
I would 100% take a clean miss over wounding one,you had the better of the two not ideal outcomes.
Sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves as well,that doesn't help the mental state.

· Registered
55,396 Posts
I’m not too proud to admit it. I missed. My target buck Along with 6 younger bucks worked his way into my food plot he finally got broadside at 30 yards I settled into my anchor point and layed the pin on the bottom 1/3 of the buck right behind the front leg and released the arrow without punching the trigger. Arrow zipped an inch or so under it. The buck never ducked the shot whatsoever and my string brushed my rain jacket on release. Not making excuses because I doubt that was enough to cause my arrow to drop that much. The buck didn’t know what happened walked off to 50 yards and began to feed again slowly away from me. This is my first time I’ve ever missed a chip shot like that. How do you even get over something like this.This is my 3rd year bow hunting. View attachment 7721256
View attachment 7721254
It happens more than most will ever admit. That's why it's called hunting instead of harvesting

· Registered
6,150 Posts
Since when is 30yd a chip shot? I feel so inadequate. I mean standing in your yard shooting a bag its not that far. But in the timber with all the limbs and under brush it feels like a mile for me. Thats my maximum and it had better be unencumbered on an unalert animal. Anyway its like the loss of 10 girl friend. Go get two 5's to make up for it. 🤣 🤣 🤣

21 - 40 of 68 Posts