Archery Talk Forum banner

Getting over a missed shot.

3151 Views 67 Replies 60 Participants Last post by  ahunter55
I’m not too proud to admit it. I missed. My target buck Along with 6 younger bucks worked his way into my food plot he finally got broadside at 30 yards I settled into my anchor point and layed the pin on the bottom 1/3 of the buck right behind the front leg and released the arrow without punching the trigger. Arrow zipped an inch or so under it. The buck never ducked the shot whatsoever and my string brushed my rain jacket on release. Not making excuses because I doubt that was enough to cause my arrow to drop that much. The buck didn’t know what happened walked off to 50 yards and began to feed again slowly away from me. This is my first time I’ve ever missed a chip shot like that. How do you even get over something like this.This is my 3rd year bow hunting.
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Grass

Flash photography Natural landscape Font Water Rectangle
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

· Registered
1,942 Posts
I missed a desert bighorn ram with my bow last year, on a once in a lifetime permit. Resident permit here in Utah, took me 20 years of applying, never going to get another chance. 11 days on the desert, It was my only stalk and shot opportunity. I sailed an arrow a few inches over a great Rams back. I’m in the process of moving on, it’s tough… But, I can look back and say, how many bowhunters get the chance to hunt desert sheep? And would I be any better of a human with a ram mount on the wall? I hate to say it, but I’ve learned way more from bowhunting errors and misses than from the chip shots. There’s no right and or easy way to move on, it’s just part of bowhunting

· Registered
256 Posts
Archery hunting is the best teacher of some of life's lessons you're ever gonna find. You live the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Best way to get over it is.....get over it. It happened, can't change it. What you can change is your perspective on it. It is a learning opportunity. Break down every single thing that went right and wrong and learn from it. Then next time that special buck is there, don't make the same mistakes and you can take him home to the freezer. A life long pursuit of unattainable perfection=archery 🤣

· Registered
25 Posts
I have been hunting since I was 5 and I am 65 now. I have missed my fair share of deer in my life. Learn from your mistakes and Practice, Practice and Practice! Anyone who says they don't miss are not telling the truth unless they don't ever hunt! It is much better to miss than to wound an animal.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
True enough..The misses stick in my mind as well as the hits....All were exciting experiences....The old saying,,:" if something can go wrong,,good chance it will"...Many variables come into play trying to hit a cautious,,wired animal with an arrow flying through the air...At 70 yrs of age,,,I have about seen it all..Take the good with the bad,,In reality, it is all good...

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Anyone still following this thread, I appreciate the advice on how to get over a shot it honestly helped a lot . Hopefully this thread lives on forever so I can look back the next time I miss. I did as most of you had said and kept on trucking through the season and ended up with my biggest bow kill to date. 25 yard shot double lunged and he didn’t make it more than 15 yards and tipped over. It was on a deer that I actually had passed the year prior which made it even more rewarding. Thanks everyone and I hope your seasons went well or are going well!
Wheel Hunting Tire Bicycle Elk

· Registered
13,161 Posts
Glad you kept at it.. Congrats on a great Buck.. I started bowhunting in 1956 & have no idea how many misses I have had over the years.. Oh, I've had lots of success if you measure that with a kill. I can also remember sailing an arrow over the biggest Elk I ever saw in my life or the 1st shot at a nice Quebec Caribou pass just under him at 35 yards. Oh, how about a boone & crocket Mule Deer missed TWICE. Oh, I have lots of stories. SO, I coined a phrase long
ago. "you had the thrill without the kill" THINK about that..

long ago

"you hd the thriell without the kil
& cri

bout
a boo
n
e

61 - 68 of 68 Posts