Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to shoot in a 3-D this weekend and have no idea what to expect.

How will I know where the 12, 10, etc. are from the shooting station? I know you can't walk down range prior to shooting.

I understand that this course will have all sorts of critter (rabbits, dinosours, javalina, deer etc.) On some of these the kill zone will be obvious to me but where do you shoot a dinosour?

What other things should I be prepared for?

Bboswell

·
Registered
587 Posts
if you have the 3-d cards you can use them. They so you where the 12,10,8,5 are.

Most of all relax and just have fun..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Get ready for a great day

Just go and have a good time, remember this is for fun. Don't get frustrated but learn from what mistakes you make, if you make any. As for the dinosaur kill zone I think it would be about the same as any other animal. Try and hit around the heart area.I went to my first 3D last weekend and lost 3 arrows all on uphill shots.Why? Because I didn't take the time to make sure my bow was leveled.That was a costly mistake. If you don't have a sight level I would suggest getting one.Good Luck and be safe on the course. :)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Take a pair of binoculars...then just pick a spot in the 10 and shoot that critter....3d is awesome, you will be hooked..:D :D Have a great time and let us know what you thought of your first 3d experience:D

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
i agree with the binoculars. also, be prepared for up and down hill shots. down hill shots look closer than they really are, and up hill shots look farther than they really are. (i am correct, right?).
also, follow the back of the front leg up on the animal if it is on all four legs to get an idea where the kill zone is.
Hope this helps! :) :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I may get blasted here - but I believe you are wrong Corey. It is my experience that uphill AND downhill shoots look farther than they really are. A downhill or uphill shot that ranges 25 yards will actually shoot less than 25 yards - much less if the angle is severe.

·
74,535 Posts
3d

good binos, sweat towel, Have fun enjoy. Most of all just realize everyone has little trouble with ranging yardage at first.

Watch out this stuff is habit forming. Started some 20yrs ago, shoot all summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts