Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm sick of paying $4 per arrow to get refletched at my pro shop. I would like to start doing it myself. Does anyone have recomendations as to what products I should look into getting. I've been looking at the Arizona E-Z Fletch at cabelas for $47, does anyone have experience with the fletcher? What do you recomend for stripping arrows, bonding and cleaning? I will probably only be fletching carbons, I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get the best!

If you are a right-handed shooter, you should get the Bitzenberger Jig with the Right-Helical clamp. You will not be dissappointed. You may even be able to find one on E-Bay for a decent price. As far as arrow prep, get a good fletching-removal tool. I have a Bohning tool and it works good. For cleaning carbons, I have heard that Simple Green cleaner, mixed per instructions, then rinsing with water and air drying to remove any oils, etc. from shafts. I have never tried it, however. I have always used the 91 or 92% pure Isopropyl alcohol with good results. Oh, I have had good luck with Goat-Tuff Glue and AAE Fastset Gel.

·
Registered
876 Posts
From one Steve to another....

Brian give some decent advice. But, if you shoot fingers I woud suggest spending $12 on 3 arrows fletched the opposite helical from what you get now (Most shops seem to fletch right helical). If you are a righty, the left helical may fly better due to better clearance of the rest\riser.. Once you know what flies best order a fletching jig and go to town.... If you shoot feathers you must specify right or left when ordering.. Vanes can go either way.

Some folks have claimed that the Arizona EZ Fletch can be a little difficult to use... You can get a Bitzenburger (the cadillac or jigs) for $60+, a copy of the bitz for as little as $25... You can get a Jo-Jan Multifletch for about the same cost as a bitz and do 6 arrows at once but it takes a little more messing around for the initial set up...

Not gonna get into straight vanes that are offset whatever number of degrees - more than you need to worry about now.... just figure if you want a right or left helical and have at it!

·
Not there yet
1,098 Posts
I have two E-Z's, one for my skinny carbons and one for my larger aluminums. I have fletched with 4" feathers and with 2" vanes. I also use fletch tape. I've shot these arrows in 90-degree temps and also in rain. I've used them for target archery and for 3-D shoots and have retrieved them from the brush:wink: . Through all of this, the fletching stays put except for rare instances (replacing a torn fletching is a piece of cake with the E-Z Fletch & fletch tape). I will admit that I've never used the Bitz or Jo-Jan for comparison, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be unhappy about by using the E-Z Fletch.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i just started doing my own myself i got the BPE jig with the straight clamp was pretty easy to set up and do the arrows for stripping old arrows i use a razor blade tho cut off as much as i can then wipe the remaining down with MEK and every thing comes off pretty easy!! i use Fletch tite Platinum for glue now probs yet and i got my first robin hood after i fletched my first set of arrows!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Grayling Jig, it works good for me. The one thing that I do, is use wraps, versus glueing straight to the raw shaft. That way, if I screw it up, I just take off the wrap and re-do it.

Wraps also helps in recovering that "buck-fever" quick shot.:wink:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Arcus said:
I have two E-Z's..... I will admit that I've never used the Bitz or Jo-Jan for comparison, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be unhappy about by using the E-Z Fletch.

Arcus.....
I've never used the E-Z - just the Bitz style jigs, thats why I said that, "Some folks have claimed that the Arizona EZ Fletch can be a little difficult to use... ". I specifically didn't want to trash what I never used - just pass on what I've heard.... Can you give us a brief description of how they work? It seems Ideal for emergency use on the range or in the field! easily packable...

Been thinking about trying the tape on aluminum and carbon...... Never have a problem getting feathers to stick to wood with Duco cement, but lately I've pulled out some old aluminum and got some carbons and have to mess with vanes... Nothing is sticking and the aluminums still had the vane bases stuck after almost 20 years - the rest dry rotted and cracked off.. Had to cut and scrape with a sharp knife to clean the residue off.

Ya know, it never used to be this hard to get feathers or vanes to stick, What changed??? Change it back dang it!

·
Not there yet
1,098 Posts
hockeyref said:
Arcus.....
I've never used the E-Z - just the Bitz style jigs, thats why I said that, "Some folks have claimed that the Arizona EZ Fletch can be a little difficult to use... ". I specifically didn't want to trash what I never used - just pass on what I've heard.
Nah, I didn't think you were trashing it. I've heard the same thing from others. I just haven't figured out what makes it difficult for some folks. I guess I'm just going to have to get a Bitz for no other reason than to make my own comparison. (Gosh, if I keep defending the E-Z Fletch, those folks might come to me wanting me to be their staff shooter...but, once say saw me shoot, they probably wouldn't want me advertising for them.)
hockeyref said:
Can you give us a brief description of how they work? It seems Ideal for emergency use on the range or in the field! easily packable.
I could, but I probably can't be as descriptive as the website (plus, it has pictures):
http://www.ezfletch.com/
hockeyref said:
Been thinking about trying the tape on aluminum and carbon......
Like most folks, I just prep the carbon or aluminum by wiping the area with acetone and drying, then putting a dab of Duco on the end of each feather/vane.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have a jo jan mono and yes it does take a little to master it but its affordable and i love mine it does what i need it to wich is alot of arrows ido alot of friends arrows (and could make a killing) but to me its fun so what ever you choose good luck

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have three Jo Jan's,all do 6 , two are straight and one is right helical. I set the jigs off set 40 years ago and have not changed any thing since. I fletch all size shafts,no problem. For the money you can't go wrong.

RT

·
Registered
255 Posts
I Have Always Had Good Luck With Jojan. I Use Aae Instant Gel And I Have To Cut The Fletchings Off To Change Them. I Also Use Aae Fletchings They Are Cheap To Buy And Stand Up Very Well Even With A Wisker Biscuit Type Rest

1 - 11 of 11 Posts