Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some great string makers here and wanted to accelerate my learning curve by learning from you mistakes.

I want to start making my own strings and wanted to know what jig I should start with as well as how many string and cable sets can you get from two 1/4 pound 452 spools.

What is the total approximate start up cost and any other tools or materials I would need besides the jig, string material, serving material and serving bobbin? Also anything that I didn't think of.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I know there are some great string makers here and wanted to accelerate my learning curve by learning from you mistakes.

I want to start making my own strings and wanted to know what jig I should start with as well as how many string and cable sets can you get from two 1/4 pound 452 spools.

What is the total approximate start up cost and any other tools or materials I would need besides the jig, string material, serving material and serving bobbin? Also anything that I didn't think of.

Thanks,

Rick
A good sturdy jig ($75 homebuilt to $300+), spool of string material ($25 for 1/8# to $50 for 1/4# - assuming single color, double that if you want two colors), center serving ($15-20), end serving ($15), two bobbins ($15-50 each, the inexpensive ones work okay).

Additional "luxury" items: stretcher, liquidlock. I've prestretched strings in a pinch with nothing more than ratchet strap and it turned out just fine. Liquidlock is almost a must for me anymore.

I get six or seven sets per 1/4 spool, so if you get two colors you'd get 10-12 sets of strings between them...assuming no rejects ;)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any jig better than any other and the same about a stretcher?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
The Lil' John is about the best one I've seen advertised...All the others are about the same to me. His has a good stretcher on it as well. I'm not real fond of the other commercial stretchers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts