Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to this forum and never bow hunted (or shot a bow more than a few times).

My question is what is the least exspensive bow to purchase that will allow me to use it to hunt Deer and Elk? I do not care if it is used but I did notice some bows come with a lot of extras included.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
258 Posts
go to your local archery shop and have them fit a bow to you tell them you are on a budget and cant go high dollar dont be suprised if you dont get many replys to this thread hope you r not thinking of getting a bow and going out hunting right away you need to put many many hours of practice in

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping to get enough time in to try for next fall (2007). I know it is not a fast start thats why I am seeking out information now. I would like to purchase in the next month or two.

I know overall archery is not cheap sport so I am kind of shooting myself in the foot just asking the question but I also know that erverything on the market is not required to get started.

Thanks for the help

Greg

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would agree with Ikrus. Find a local shop and let them know you are looking to stay in your budget. They should be able to show you some options and let you shoot them. You may not know what you're looking for, but pick one that feels good to you.

As for the accessories, if you do buy a used bow it may well come with a sight and a rest. Those are really the basics. The other item is a release it you want to shoot with one. If you buy a bare bow, you'll have to get these separetely. Some will disagree, but I'd recommend starting out to go low end on these until you have shot a while and have an idea of what direction you want to go, since there are so many options.

I'd say find a shop, go in and tell them you want to see what the options are and would like to shoot a couple of bows. Then ask lots of questions at the shop and go home and think about it, come on here and ask any more questions you can think of. Maybe go back and shoot some more and get what you're comfortable with. If you don't know of a shop in your area, post a thread on here asking.

Good luck, and welcome.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot to both of you for giving me some feedback. I think I will do just as you suggested and go down to my local store and talk to them and maybe shoot a couple.

Thanks again
Greg

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I can't do any better than tell you what the other guys have already told you, go to a Pro Shop, and havethem measure you and fit you for a bow. Even if you don't buy from them, you will at least have an idea what to look at. Also, LOOK in the CLASSIFIEDS here, there are some GREAT deals available. Good Luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts