Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get started in bowhunting, but I don't want to spend more than $300 on my first bow. For the money, what are some of the best values out there? What accessories are "must haves?" I went to an archery dealer/pro shop, but the bows are way more money than I can spend. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
BDann,

I don't want to be discouraging, but the cost of the bow and all of the other accessories needed to get an arrow headed down range is only a part of the cost of gear you will need to start hunting.

If you are new to archery, then it will take a while for you to acquire the shooting skills needed.

I have one of those PSA combo kits that comes with almost everything needed: (sights, quiver, arrow rest) and the store I got it from threw in 6 arrows, rear peep, release, arm guard, and set it up for me for about what you are willing to spend. Look around but make sure the place you buy it from is able to set it up to fit you, a hunting bow is a highly personal thing.

I bought my bow last August and got my bow license last September and still do not have everything I need to go hunting. I have been practicing all year and intend to purchase the final few things I need before the season opens 9/27/03. I, just like you, are on a limited budget.

Good luck,

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have a PSE package. its pretty good starter bow but i want to upgrade now. myne was 435 canadian which is not alot for a package. shop around.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Two options are a used bow (from here or eBay) or a package from a place like Basspro.com or onestopsports.com. It will help if you have a friend who can help you tune it once you get it and you'll have to know your draw length (or get one you can adjust) before you order. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Matt,
I wanted to say the same thing, because I also want to upgrade, but I've made up my mind that I will put a few deer in my freezer before I do upgrade.

The approach I'm taking is to buy a few upgraded things at a time, first I will get good sights, next a good arrow rest, and when I have all of the hang on accesories, I will shop for the bow.

Hey Matt, have you tried using carbon arrows with you bow?

Tom

Mattc said:
I also have a PSE package. its pretty good starter bow but i want to upgrade now. myne was 435 canadian which is not alot for a package. shop around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yep i have carbons but im not getting as good a group as i did with my alums. I am doing the same thing by upgrading but in the long run i want a heavier poundage bow. my let off is 65% and i dont like it as much because i find myself pulling back after the release.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check www.caeblas.com and search through bow combos....You can find a good package there. PSE makes one called the Nova, should be around $300 for everything, arrows and all.

Also, check the local hunting/archery shops....They usually have last years bows for a big discount. Sometimes these are the same bows as the new ones but under a different name.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
PSE has several quality bows in your price range. We just ordered a Spyder for my wife, good short draw bow. Reflex Growler and Gamegetter with Cam &1/2 are both under $260 in Eders catalog, Good bows also. Good Luck and welcome to archery.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts