Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of advice on here directed toward people asking what is the better bow and which one to go with. Most will say "shoot as many as u can". This is great advice, but what can you do when you have an odd draw length? Let's say below 28 inches?

How can u get a feel for a bow that is 29 inches and your length is 26 1/2? I've tried to test bows 2 inches longer than what I need, I can never get a good idea how it will feel when it's lengthened for me? Most shops carry the longer draws and a lot of companies have draw specific bows, so can anyone give me something to look for when I shoot the longer bows to get a good feel?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Have them change the draw length. That is , if you were at a pro shop. That is what they are for.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Have them change the draw length. That is , if you were at a pro shop. That is what they are for.
Plus a million.

If they do not accommodate your needs , then go elsewhere. A good shop will allow you to shoot as many as you need. Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most place will adjust the draw length, but what about shooting the new mathews, or the pearson bows, or the alpha burner. The bows that you'd have to special order for the right draw. Is there anyway to get a feel of these? I can pull them back feel how the cycle is and how if it does drops into the wall. It's just really hard to get an idea how the draw cycle compares to when it's your length.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Can be a little aggravating. Look for:

Comfortable grip
Quietness
Low vibration

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks lee it can be anyoing to say the least. I think that will give me alittle to go by. Most shops won't order a bow in your draw just for you to say nope not quite what I wanted.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
What price range you looking at buddy?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan to keep it under 900 out the door. At least that's what the wife told me to do. I figure the only things I'll have to add is a different rest peep and stab, but those won't be included in that price I can pick around and get that stuff.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Hunting primarily??

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it will be prim for hunting. I have a pre bowtech diamond that I've had for about 7 plus years. It was to long for me when I got it I didn't really understand draw length and such at the time I really need it an inch shorter than what I have. I am mainly looking for companies that have been around for a while incase a warranty issue comes up in a few years or if I need a part I might b able to pick it up. Speed is a little bit of an issue but mainly due to my draw length and shooting heavy arrows.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Ok. I am sometimes not serious on here. Now I am No bashing. Just my 2 pennies.

I have sold and serviced Hoyt since 1997. Returned 1 pair of laminated limbs for replacement. Their bows are VERY tough. Noone will argue that. I have a new 31 Maxxis and it is really unbelievable.

That being said, Other companies are impressive too.
The Elite GT500 ( and z28 ) is worth a look.
The new Bear line has a lot of potential, so dont overlook them.
Martin has been GREAT to the sport and their bows are tough to beat as a total package.
Mathews is quiet, fast, and smooth as usual.

A 26" Alphaburner would be sweet too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have narrowed it down to hoyt and mathews. Elite,although a good warranty, is still new. I did shoot a z28 at Lancaster last year and I needed it shorter than what they were offering through the company. They decided not to make the z with cuda cams. I have shot a am32 at my draw and really liked it, but couldn't bring my self to buy last years model when I could get this years model for a few dollars more.

I'd love the chance to shoot the alpha burner or the z7 but with them being draw spec it's really hard to get a feel for them when it's 3 inches to long. Also it's a little guess work what if we decided I need at 26 1/2, get it ordered and it ends up running 1/2 inch longer? I can't just change mods to make it fit and I'm not sure if a dealer will say ok let's order another one.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts