Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting for less than a year. Started with my son's Browning. Recently my husband purchased a Hoyt Sapphire
for me. Since then, I am shooting consistantly to the left. I'm just wondering, could my problem be that the size of the grip is smaller and I'm torquing my wrist? Perhaps I'm just not comfortable with the bow yet. Any suggestions?

Lovin' the learnin'

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It's good to see another newbie in the sport! :D If you are shooting to the left in the same spot each and every time, all you need to do is adjust your sight. if you are usually on target, but some of them go left, but never right, you may be a bit long in draw length. But, before you do all this stuff, make sure the bow is properly tuned. Good luck, and if you can, post a few pics from the sides, back, and just different angles. Good luck, and have fun!!!!!

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
Like grant said...How consisntly to the left are you? What kind of sights are you shooting? Scope, pins, Peep, no peep, fingers, release. All of these things can factor in to the answer you are looking for. I would imagine that the saphire is going to be a little more twitchy than the bow you shot before, so you may want to focus on relaxing your bow hand a bit.

Adam G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Groups are great but shooting about 2" left. I've re-set sites (Copper John) and use a true-fire release (D-Loop). I use a no-lose peep. This is getting frustrating. I've just added a wrist sling. I am hopeing this will help relax my grip.

Thanks for your tips. They are much appreciated!

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
what is a no lose peep? never heard of that, is it a peep alternative of some sort, or an actual brand of peep? Are you out of adjustment room on your sight? Go ahead and adjust your sights according to your groups. Your sights are only a refference to where your arrows are hitting, not the other way around. Move the pins to the left a good 1/4 inch and see what happens.

Adam G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the brand name. Just a peep, no tubeing. I'll adjustmy sites again. Something in my gut is telling me that isn't the problem.
Thanks for your input. Anything is worth a try.

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
there are a lot of other reasons that you could be getting arrows to the left. I only suggest that since you are getting good groups and they are consistantly going 2" left, that moving the sight would be the first thing I would try. Sometimes when you start shooting a new bow, you will chase your groups around for a little while until you are used to the new setup. You may pick the bow up tomorrow and the groups will be to the right. Just move the sight again!! :D

Adam G

·
Registered
577 Posts
Shooting left

Jade,
One thing you might want to check is which eye is your dominate eye. My son is right handed and I started him out with a RH bow. He would keep shooting to the left no matter how much I moved his sight.
Found out he was left eye dominate and I changed him to a LH bow. Like you he had not shot that much and the change over did not take that long, and now he shoots down the middle.
One other reason for the left shots may be peeking at the shot ( when you move the bow to the left at the shot to try and see your arrow ). Just try to keep your eye contact on the target until you here the arrow hit.
Hope this helps, and good shooting,
David

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
Very good point. If the groups keep moving to the left like Luv2shoot suggested, he might have something there.

Adam G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shoot with my left eye closed. I do have a problem with "Peeking". (In archery terms anyway :D ). The more fustrated I get, the more I practice that bad habbit. At least I am aware of it and know when I mess up. Thanks again for your feedback. Am ready to hit the targets this evening.

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
You shake your christmas preasants when no body is looking dont you!!!!! Peeker!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Shooting left

Jade,
Once you make sure it's not an eye dominance problem there are a couple of things that will help the peeking problem.

Start training your self to shoot with both eyes open. You can draw your bow and close your eye when looking through the peep until you get on target then relax your face and open your left eye. This will not only let in more light but also stop some of the tendency to want to see your arrow.

Also start every shooting session by shooting your first 5 to 10 shoots at a bail with no target from about 10 feet. Just draw relax your face and bow arm and just try to get the feel of a good shot without the added pressure of trying to hit the target. Hold your form for a couple of seconds after the shot.
After your 5 to 10 shots put the target up and try to get the same relaxed feeling when shooting at the target.

Good shooting,
David

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
hey,
either you need to adjust your sight like grant said, or you need to tune it. also, it could be you need to practice and get better.
one more thing. to find out it isn't you, then have another person shoot it with the same draw, and it it shoots the same for them as it does you, adjust your bow. but if they shoot bad, forget it, go to a shop and have them look at it.
hope i helped! :)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I had that problem on my wifes new sierra-tec and it turned out to be a simple matter of center shot adjustment. She shoots fingers with a centerrest flipper. She was shooting to the left also, I moved the rest to the right and after shooting her groups started to fall in line, so it might just need a rest adjustment. Good luck.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts