Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Hey, paden, welcome to AT if you are fairly new. I once spend 45 hours making a Ghillie suit by hand. USMC style. It looks great, it could hide the prom queen in daylight. With that being said, i've only used it once!! Hunting from the ground seems fun and a neat idea, but your kill percentange drops because you can't draw, your scent will get you busted, and your shooting lanes are small. Ghillie suits are HOT, cumbersome, heavy and get tangled in everything.

IMO, Ghillie or 3d suits are really only meant for gun hunters and military, but even then, you could prob wear a red and black flannel and see just as many deer.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Ghille is the best overall but I use a leafy currently. Will be building me up a ghille soon.
Ghille is a better camo than a leafy
Leafy is less likely to snag on stuff
leafy is also a really effective camo as well and does a good job of eliminating the "human" form.
Leafy works well in trees as you look like a tree limb with stuff on it.

There are two types of "ghille" material. Jute (burlap fibers) and the better light synthetic.
Jute makes for a hot heavy suit. the synthetic suit cam be made less than 4 lbs total
I got a kit git $69 to make a full suit.
Ghillesuits.com

Using a ghille in a tree you look more like a bog all of moss I would think LOL

Im gunna use shorter 3" fibers on the left chest and inner bow arm for mine to eliminate chances for string tangle. They come in 7" or 11" long threads I cannot remember.

Real world: I have had 2 mile deer walk right up to within 10 feet of me while wearing my leafy and hood. I did not blink, move or anything and it just stood there drinking while looking at me. Then it simply walked off.
One year I had an elk come down the same trail I was on, we met on a open spot me in the middle, him on the edge about 10 yards out. All I could do with the time I had was to crouch down behind a 24" sapling when I saw his antlers coming over the rise. He stood there looking at this "new" blob in the trail next to the sapling and I never looked up. He finally winded me after about 2 min or so and then took off. I had my leafy on.

Friend has a ghille, we were out in the desert, he put it on I closed my eyes and he went out into the sage and grasses about 75 yards and hunkered down. I looked for him with eyes and binocs and did not see him till he waved. He started laughing a couple min after ward because I was 10 yards off from where I thought he was.
They do work quite well.

Wearing the leafy: Another time I had a doe darn near run me over whilst walking on a well used trail. She was trotting down the trail and I saw her coming and froze. She kept coming and I closed my eyes as I thought she was gunna run me over. She simple veered around me and kept right on going. Her fawn did the same not 10 seconds later as I was turned around in amazement looking at my dad about 10 feet off the trail.

Wearing leafy: I have s group of 5 hikers walk right past me while I was balled up in the side of a trail between a bush and small sapling. All was good till their dog came by and nailed my scent. Hikers were about 50 feet up the trial and around a corner when pooch came by. Pooch barked and I lifted up my head whispered "BOO" and it took off with its tail under hind end. It was a younger dog. I just rolled off the trail so hikers would not see me.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Ghille is the best overall but I use a leafy currently. Will be building me up a ghille soon.
Ghille is a better camo than a leafy
Leafy is less likely to snag on stuff
leafy is also a really effective camo as well and does a good job of eliminating the "human" form.
Leafy works well in trees as you look like a tree limb with stuff on it.

There are two types of "ghille" material. Jute (burlap fibers) and the better light synthetic.
Jute makes for a hot heavy suit. the synthetic suit cam be made less than 4 lbs total
I got a kit git $69 to make a full suit.
Ghillesuits.com

Using a ghille in a tree you look more like a bog all of moss I would think LOL

Im gunna use shorter 3" fibers on the left chest and inner bow arm for mine to eliminate chances for string tangle. They come in 7" or 11" long threads I cannot remember.

Real world: I have had 2 mile deer walk right up to within 10 feet of me while wearing my leafy and hood. I did not blink, move or anything and it just stood there drinking while looking at me. Then it simply walked off.
One year I had an elk come down the same trail I was on, we met on a open spot me in the middle, him on the edge about 10 yards out. All I could do with the time I had was to crouch down behind a 24" sapling when I saw his antlers coming over the rise. He stood there looking at this "new" blob in the trail next to the sapling and I never looked up. He finally winded me after about 2 min or so and then took off. I had my leafy on.

Friend has a ghille, we were out in the desert, he put it on I closed my eyes and he went out into the sage and grasses about 75 yards and hunkered down. I looked for him with eyes and binocs and did not see him till he waved. He started laughing a couple min after ward because I was 10 yards off from where I thought he was.
They do work quite well.

Wearing the leafy: Another time I had a doe darn near run me over whilst walking on a well used trail. She was trotting down the trail and I saw her coming and froze. She kept coming and I closed my eyes as I thought she was gunna run me over. She simple veered around me and kept right on going. Her fawn did the same not 10 seconds later as I was turned around in amazement looking at my dad about 10 feet off the trail.

Wearing leafy: I have s group of 5 hikers walk right past me while I was balled up in the side of a trail between a bush and small sapling. All was good till their dog came by and nailed my scent. Hikers were about 50 feet up the trial and around a corner when pooch came by. Pooch barked and I lifted up my head whispered "BOO" and it took off with its tail under hind end. It was a younger dog. I just rolled off the trail so hikers would not see me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts