Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
I actually used to farm on Giles island when I was a kid. (I grew up in Louisiana) The guy I worked for was allowed to plant cotton on certain areas as long as he would plan corn for the deer. I can tell you first hand, there are some very big deer out there. I know that the guys I worked for were allowed to take some management deer from time to time, mostly does. I have seen some deer out their that looked like they had rocking chairs on their heads! As far as the hunting though, never got the chance.
Dan

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'd love too, but I 'm just not willing to pay for a hunt right now. I know some guys that go every year. They love it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
price

Im not a wealthy man by no means. A buddy of mine and myself would like an opportunity at a trophy deer. Not to mention a nice vacation, work sucks and never had the opportunity to book a hunt before. I just dont want to book with the wrong outfitter, so scared of having a bad time and loosing money. If this were to happen I sure as hell would at least try to eat as much as I can to get something back.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
BookingDep said:
Would anyone here bowhunt or have you ever bowhunted Giles Island.

never have but oh yeah buddy, would hunt there in a second if given the opportunity.

wouldn't think twice about it. from what I hear, especially if the water is high which will push them into predictable travel patterns.

·
Registered
702 Posts
ELKhuntR said:
never have but oh yeah buddy, would hunt there in a second if given the opportunity.

wouldn't think twice about it. from what I hear, especially if the water is high which will push them into predictable travel patterns.
From my experience, dont think for a second that a deer won't swim across the Mississippi. I have seen it first hand. Although, due to the reduced hunting pressure and abundence of food on the island, they will normally stay put. They seem to know that their are plenty of La and Ms boys standing of the banks waiting for them if they leave. :D
Dan

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
BookingDep said:
Im not a wealthy man by no means. A buddy of mine and myself would like an opportunity at a trophy deer. Not to mention a nice vacation, work sucks and never had the opportunity to book a hunt before. I just dont want to book with the wrong outfitter, so scared of having a bad time and loosing money. If this were to happen I sure as hell would at least try to eat as much as I can to get something back.

Just keep in mind that the rut is REALLY late there. I hunt a piece of land within walking distance of Giles Island for a deer. The first two weeks in January are always the best.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
DanDaMan said:
From my experience, dont think for a second that a deer won't swim across the Mississippi. I have seen it first hand. Although, due to the reduced hunting pressure and abundence of food on the island, they will normally stay put. They seem to know that their are plenty of La and Ms boys standing of the banks waiting for them if they leave. :D
Dan

Just keep in mind that it's not an island at all. That's just what that type of property has been called down here. It's in an old bend of the river on the La. side. It's not even close to being surrounded by water. Many of Louisiana's most famous clubs are on "Islands" that are not islands. Davis island, Glasscock island, etc.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Heck yea, I would go. I would also consider Tara/Willow Point and Blackhawk Plantation. The rut is late(Dec25-Jan15) depending on the weather. Best of luck hunting in the South!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
DanDaMan said:
Dan

no not at all, deer are amazing however, from the hunter's I've spoken with that have hunted Giles, all stated the same thing. When flooding occurrs, watch out, because it can be really good.

·
Registered
702 Posts
PMantle said:
Just keep in mind that it's not an island at all. That's just what that type of property has been called down here. It's in an old bend of the river on the La. side. It's not even close to being surrounded by water. Many of Louisiana's most famous clubs are on "Islands" that are not islands. Davis island, Glasscock island, etc.
While I agree about Giles not actually being an Island, I know that at least a portion of Davis island is. I did the same thing farming on that place and we had to take a barge over too it. Pain in the butt putting a tractor or combine on a muddy barge deck. That river has plenty of little cuts and turns in it that make for some great hunting territory. Tensas parish got deer running around like rabbits.
Dan

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd love to give Giles and Tara Wildlife a shot. Heard its some good hunting.

·
Registered
890 Posts
DanDaMan said:
While I agree about Giles not actually being an Island, I know that at least a portion of Davis island is.
Dan
Davis Island still is an island, with a chute running all the way around it almost all year long. They say in the late summer you can drive across in some spots, when the river is very low. Everytime I've gone, we've crossed by boat, and I'll be headed there for Oct. 1st. YeeHaa!

Giles Island is one of those land cutoffs, and is actually Mississippi land, accessible only from the Louisiana side, kinda like Davis Island.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts