Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm on the hunt to learn how to bowhunt.... There are tons of things I need to learn. As this will be the first bow I have ever owned I wanna make sure I do my reading and research before purchasing stuff. I have a question about releases for now. I'm gonna be using the search feature quite a bit for the next few months.

I only have one question for now:

1. What is the difference between a wrist release and a hand held one? And what would you recommend for a beginning shooter?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I started out with fingers! But then a couple months later I went to a release with a wrist strap, it's been 25 years or so and I still am using a wrist strap for hunting. I do more spot and stalk hunting than tree stand because I hunt whitetail, mulie, moose , and elk so it's mostly just whitetail I hunt out of a tree. I just think it's alot easier having the release attached to my wrist when I'm in the heat of the moment.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
spot and stalk myself!

I started out with fingers! But then a couple months later I went to a release with a wrist strap, it's been 25 years or so and I still am using a wrist strap for hunting. I do more spot and stalk hunting than tree stand because I hunt whitetail, mulie, moose , and elk so it's mostly just whitetail I hunt out of a tree. I just think it's alot easier having the release attached to my wrist when I'm in the heat of the moment.
On a wrist release I would reccomend is a scott silverhorn release. This release is smooth and you can hook up on D-loop with out looking at it. Definelty something to check out if your doing your homework. I use a hand release but if gonna go wrist release silverhorn is my favorite. On wrist release I like the buckle type over velcro type wrist strap. Easier to get in same spot when wrapping around wrist. consistancy is everything in archery. Catch you later and keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
On a wrist release I would reccomend is a scott silverhorn release. This release is smooth and you can hook up on D-loop with out looking at it. Definelty something to check out if your doing your homework. I use a hand release but if gonna go wrist release silverhorn is my favorite. On wrist release I like the buckle type over velcro type wrist strap. Easier to get in same spot when wrapping around wrist. consistancy is everything in archery. Catch you later and keep us updated.
I just purchased this release two days ago. Shot both days. And in two days, I already have the "hook without looking" mastered, and the rea]lease is as smooth as it gets. I tried on my old larger/longer release and it felt like a boat anchor/dinosaur.

Awesome release. Note: this model is designed for a string loop. The precision and quality of this release is unmatched.

I tried a hand help once. Couldn't get used to it. Returned it (Carter). Lots of guys on here love them. Just wasn't comfortable for me. If you search, many guys prefer them, AND, they can hook and hang on your string/loop, while you sit, making them just and "ready" as a wrist release. I know Carter hand helds all have an awesome following and are really built well. Most archery shops will allow you to test both. I would try both styles.

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
sorry, forgot to address your OP question: the biggest difference is that the wrist strap is an index finger position trigger, the hand held is most often a thumb trigger system, and your hand pull is somewhat more natually flopped, meaning your palm faces AWAY from your face on the anchor point. With a wrist, while you can face your palm both directions, the hand held seems to naturally fit into more of the palm away from face position, hence the thumb trigger as you hold -- kind of confusing I know, but make sense? Watch a video of a target archer, they almost all shoot the hand held and you can see how their hand is exclusively palm away from face.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
There are LOTS of releases out there that are good. It's a matter of personal preference as much as anything, but for a beginner, or hunting, I think a Wrist Strap release is certainly the way to go. Tru-Fire Hurricanes are nice, reasonably priced, and do the job, Tru-Ball has a few that are reasonably priced. Don't get the CHEAPEST one you can find as they really often times are more JUNK than anything, jaws don't open well, trigger pull is heavy, etc. Get a good mid-range release for starters and you should be relatively happy.

·
Registered
643 Posts
As others have stated, its a matter of personal preference. I myself have always shot wrist strap type releases. My Dad and my buddies hate the wrist strap ones and only shoot the handheld thumb release.

I tried shooting the thumb style and like it, I just like my wrist one better.

I have a few different releases and can shoot with them all. My favorite is a TRU Fire with the buckle strap. I strongly recommend getting a buckle strap and not the velcro type. Its just easier to put on your wrist.

I just read in article in a magazine though about wrist spring type triggers. They claim they are great for beginners as they teach you how to not punch the trigger resulting in more accurate shooting. Just something else to look into.

I would suggest talking with the guy at your local archery shop. More often than not they know what they are talking about and always willing to help you out. Test a couple different ones out right there at the shop and leave with your favorite. Some do get spendy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
IMO starting out with a buckle type wrist strap double caliper release would make good sense. I use Tru-Ball but, there are many excellant manufacturers out there. Make sure you get one that fits you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
go with the wrist release that way your pulling with your whole arm the hand release is something to try later the hand release is just that your pulling with whole arm but it puts alot more pressure on your hand

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info guys... this is really helping me. From the looks of it and suggestions I'm gonna start with a wrist-release. I did find that huntersfriend site also, It does have a ton of info that has helped me out to.

Another question, other than here on AT and huntersfriend, are there any other reading materials I could get to help me get started? I searched and saw a few bowhunting magazines available. Which one would you guys recommend?

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
thanks for all the info guys... this is really helping me. From the looks of it and suggestions I'm gonna start with a wrist-release. I did find that huntersfriend site also, It does have a ton of info that has helped me out to.

Another question, other than here on AT and huntersfriend, are there any other reading materials I could get to help me get started? I searched and saw a few bowhunting magazines available. Which one would you guys recommend?
Read anything you can find by Randy Ulmer. He is one of the best shots there is. He has segments in every issue of Bowhunter magazine and Bowhunting magazine on shooting. I'm sure he has books out there, too.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,248 Posts
Release types for the newbee!!!

I have 3 tru-fire Concho style one piece release's bought back in 1986.Never lost one,never had any trouble with them. I shoot them a lot.I find strap releases, for me are cumbersome.And not as fast.But they have not made that style for years.I'm an old guy.Try both styles at an archery pro shop first.good luck.:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Read anything you can find by Randy Ulmer. He is one of the best shots there is. He has segments in every issue of Bowhunter magazine and Bowhunting magazine on shooting. I'm sure he has books out there, too.
those two magazines were ones i found... I might just subscribe to 3 or so of them..... More the info the merrier I suppose. If anyone else would like help me out I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Its all in what feels comfortable to you.

Personally I cant shoot the hand ones worth a darn, i always punch when i use fingers. The only release i use with good results is a wrist strap. But then again, everyone is different. :slice:

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
My advice,is not on the type of release you settle on...but on the quality! There is a difference and you will(may)shoot better with a quality release.
Search the threads...and not just the bowhunting forum,search the general archery forum.Check into what the pros shoot and buy the best quality you can afford!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If you go with the wrist strap type, check out Scott releases.

They might cost a little more, but are worth it.

Had one for 9 years and it was working fine when I lost it.

I have had it's replacement for 6 seasons now.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I am new to the sport as well. I have tried several types of releases. The only ones I have hated were the cheap walmart ones. I recently bought a Fletchmatic Concho from a fellow ATer. It is several years old and still feels like top quality. It is so smooth that I was able to stop punching. That's what works for me. Have fun.

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,421 Posts
If you go to Cabelas, maybe some of your bowshops, you can try on dozens of different releases to see which one you like best. I really think the buckle is the only way to go with wrist releases, as others stated, it fits the same each time,..and with velcro, it can pop a few hooks and make noise when you draw back.

I started with a Primos, Fletcher 44 cal. ,...and still shoot it now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts