Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to improve my broadhead test regimen for 2022 (Lusk Archery Adventures.)

I presently have 2 different penetration tests:

One is thru a combination of 1/2” MDF, 2/3” rubber foam mat, and Clear Ballistics FBI grade gel.

The other is thru layered cardboard, compacted together.

But I’d like a test medium that does not “stick”to the surface area of the blades as much. The tests I have are good for bone & hide simulation but animal muscle is more lubricated and kind of pulls away from the head as it penetrates, or at least doesn’t stick as much as gel.

I added the layered cardboard because it sticks a lot less than gel, but I’m trying to find something else as well.

And it has to be uniform/consistent as I need to compare the depth of penetration of the different broadheads and it has to be something that can be “cut”, as opposed to bag of dirt or sand.

And I prefer not using food type things that can perish.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corripe Cervisiam
23,533 Posts
Good question. Its going to be hard to find something that will replicate hide....besides hide itself....which you can probably get from a taxidermist free. Hide is a must...as thats what we first have to go through. [If you are near Salt Lake City I know a guy]

Replicating the inside of an animal is probably going to be tough.....maybe just go with layers of wet paper for consistent measuring of depth. It pretty much has to be something you can build a frame for....so say Hide, then a layer of soft foam like ensolite pad, then the wet paper.

Sorry John...thats all I've got. I think its more important to replicate a consistent media that doesn't grab the arrow like ballistic gel...than to try to emulate a mixed destiny animal. I do think the hide with some give is important as that replicates the impact. When the short razor blade heads...and the over the top mech heads have to chop through an animals hide....just like on a real animal....I've seen the blades dulling and worse.

Reactions: ThumbsMcGee86

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Personally I hope you keep things exactly like it is. I think the tool you use now to measure the level of sharpness was a good touch. I believe if you keep your penetration mediums consistent from year to year it will provide better “measurable” consistent data. It would be nice to catalog years of consistent comparable reviews. Thank you for what you do.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Maybe take a look at vinyl flooring ?
Buy a box or 2 of it 5" wide at lowes cut them in half and then double the stack up .
Maybe wrap them in 2 or 3" bundles with 1" gaps in-between the bundles. Fill the gaps with cardboard or maybe something like that foam board

·
Registered
307 Posts
Concur with chief razor. If you change it means all the testing you've done so far isn't directly comparable to what you do in the future.

This is one of those testing quandaries where you can't test the actual condition of interest, and any proxy used has drawbacks. You've already changed several things about your testing regimen over the years. Far be it from me to complain about a service I get for free, but as a fan of your channel I'd much prefer what you do in 2022 and beyond to be directly comparable to what you did in 2021.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like to use layers of fleece from Joan fabric. It's not the easiest to get through for some heads. Especially when wet. It's eliminated alot of broadheads for me personally. It's surprising how some lack serious penetration after passing through.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Before they developed ballistic jell wet newspaper was the standard for judging bullet penetration. One inch of wet newspaper is suposed to equal three inches of flesh.

Some testing of medieval arrows uses fresh hams on the bone or racks of ribs. As long as the arrows are clean the meat can be cooked up later for dinner or at worst fed to your dogs.
Unlike high velocity bullets meat isn't likely to be a mascerated bloodshot mess if arrows are used.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I agree with some of the others that say leave it as is. That way, 2023s new head will be judged the same as 2020s. Your test show how each head compares to each other relative to the test medium. It’s an apples to apples comparison and that’s why it has merit.

Now, with all that said, it would be nice if there was some kind of material that was closer to actual flesh. I have never had any issues with Ramcats. Blow through deer, leave a gaping hole, and an immediate blood trail but they failed miserably in your test. But now, thanks to your testing, I shoot exodus and TOTA and I’m well pleased.

·
Vendor
26,514 Posts
John if you had access to a freezer or two, you could contact the county and get a few road kills. Take the head and legs off to make them more compact and freeze them. Let them thaw for a couple of days before testing. :geek:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I love your current test and I've watched every video you have produced.
I really like how you spin test the arrow after the concrete shot.
I understand the need for a consist test medium. Nothing will compare to shooting an animal. If your test are not consistent you can't compare heads.
What about
Hide, foam, MDF, water, MDF, foam, hide.
Deer like humans are made up of mostly water. I don't think lungs and other organs create much drag at all. Similar to shooting through water. The problem would be finding the right way to hold water. Large water ballon maybe. This test would have to be outside.
Just a thought

1 - 20 of 77 Posts