Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this fourm. I read alot but never have posted one.
I just wanted to share something with ya'll
A couple of weeks ago I started to ask question. And the #1 piece of advice that I got was GO TO A BOW SHOP!!!!Glad I took that advice.
I went and got fitted of a bow. Now mind you it wasn't one of those top of the line 1K bows. I just wanted to see if I would like it. The guy who ran the Bowshop sold me a good cheap bow that fit me. He told me that when I got ready to move up to remember him. Well when he set me up he wanted me to come back after the string and cable had stretch some and make some fine adjustments. Well here is where we get interesting!!! I took it back and when he adjusted it he miss putting the cable totally around the notch that it fits over. When I went to pull it back BAMM!!! :( :mad: The cable broke. I thought all was lost. He told me it was his falt but not to worry. He would have me set up the next day. Went back to the bowshop the next day. He took 2 hours with me to make sure everything was right. He even GAVE me a better sight that someone gave to him. The new cable, new peep, new sting. Told he that since I was out so much time that the next time I needed a tuning/ maintiance it was one him! He even showed me the proper way to shot. ALL FOR FREEEEE. :teeth: All this and all I did was buy a used older bow.
Now do you think if I would have went to say WAL-Mart and took a bow back that had the cable broke that I would have been better off ....I DON'T THINK SO TIM!!!!! :p
Boy I sure am gald I listen to you guys! A big thanks.
And a big thank goes out to the bowshop. When I get ready to upgrade and buy other items That is the first place I'll go...

·
32,712 Posts
Welcome to AT and that fellow sounds like the Pro I go to. He wants your business and he knows you will upgrade in short order and if he treats you right you will come back and buy a bow at his shop. I did and glad I did. I think I was one of the ones that told you to go to the pro shop also.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
You see it as good free help, which it is, and he knows it's a good investment on his part...you will be back. Good service = Win/Win for all.

That's the way to do business. :thumbs_up Please, do name the shop...you will be helping to give him a return on his investment, and that will help insure that he is still there when you need him.

·
74,535 Posts
Good Pro Shop

Priceless :wink:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
name of Bowshop

Well the name of the bowshop it A-1 PAWN in Nacogdoches Texas. Don't let the name fool you. It has it's own department for Bows. They sell top of the line Watthews/Hoyt/Bowtech/ AR/PSE. They just don't sell them on the side. The guy who run the shop is Coby. And they have a wonderful shooting range.
By the end of the year I will decide if Bowhunting is right for me. IF it is. I will be back at that bowshop with $ in hand and a smile on my :smile:

One more time "TWO BIG THUMBS UP :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Oh a follow up story. When I was at the bowshop there was a guy there that wanted to buy a new bow. I think it was a Switchback. He said "I want one of the new bow from Matthews" When Coby told him that he didn't have a bow in the shop to fit him. The guy didn't care! He just wanted the bow. Coby tried to not let him buy a bow. But Coby said that he would get one in that fit him. The guy wouldn't stand for it.
He said in front of all of us "I've got $1200 and I'm going to spend it today! So set me up to hunt"

I bet this Swithback will be up for sale buy Jan 1st. Hay maybe I should have got that guys name and # and give in a call in January and told him I've got $500 to spend on a bow.... :tongue:

·
Registered
672 Posts
nice ! pro shops are never the cheapest route but things like that is why you go to them, sounds like you local guy is a stand up type of guy, glad it worked out for ya!

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I have talked to a couple of bow shop owners and they said it would be hard to be in business if they didn't carry the mathews line of bows.

·
32,712 Posts
mrdux said:
Well the name of the bowshop it A-1 PAWN in Nacogdoches Texas. Don't let the name fool you. It has it's own department for Bows. They sell top of the line Watthews/Hoyt/Bowtech/ AR/PSE. They just don't sell them on the side. The guy who run the shop is Coby. And they have a wonderful shooting range.
By the end of the year I will decide if Bowhunting is right for me. IF it is. I will be back at that bowshop with $ in hand and a smile on my :smile:

One more time "TWO BIG THUMBS UP :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Oh a follow up story. When I was at the bowshop there was a guy there that wanted to buy a new bow. I think it was a Switchback. He said "I want one of the new bow from Matthews" When Coby told him that he didn't have a bow in the shop to fit him. The guy didn't care! He just wanted the bow. Coby tried to not let him buy a bow. But Coby said that he would get one in that fit him. The guy wouldn't stand for it.
He said in front of all of us "I've got $1200 and I'm going to spend it today! So set me up to hunt"

I bet this Swithback will be up for sale buy Jan 1st. Hay maybe I should have got that guys name and # and give in a call in January and told him I've got $500 to spend on a bow.... :tongue:
I didn't realize I was that close to you. I'm at the beginning of the space craft debris and your at the end of it. Palestine is just over the hill and thru the woods. If I can on any assistance leet me know. Maybe next year I will get the chance to shoot with you at a 3-D shoot or maybe go hog hunting together.
The guy buying the bow without waiting for one that fits him is a sad venue. I hope there are not many out there like that.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
mrdux

You will be back. My shop sold me my first set up for 200$ years ago, and he treated me like I bought his best bow. Since then I have bought multiple bows for me and my kids, including his best bow. Once that deer is close, you'll be hooked and need therapy like the rest of us. Good luck!

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
Welcome to archery in general and AT. It's refreshing to see new people getting started off on the right foot with equipment that fits them and a little coaching to get them going.

Let us know if you have any questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts