Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased some used x10 Protour shafts from a guy who for some reason used Goat Tuff glue to install the glue-in variable weight bulge points. I found this out after the purchase and he claims that Goat Tuff is heat reversible. To my knowledge this in NOT correct.

I need to get these points out to cut them down so they will be spined for my set-up. I know that they make a debonder for this glue, but am not sure how this would help in this application. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I use Goat tuff on my HUnting arrow inserts. I take them out with a Zippo and a FP. Use the flame while turnning the arrow constantly. Dont heat too much or you will damage the carbon, then take a pair of Pliers and pull the point out!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm out of town right now, but will try to remove the nock pins when I get home and possibly cut from rear as a last resort. I have a feeling he used the same glue on the nock pins as well!! I rotated the point (only) of two different shafts over my propane torch until they should have been hot enough to pull with pliers without damaging the carbon.......but they didn't budge!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would not use a propane torch...been there, done that!

Maybe not a fix for your situation, but here's my method for heating Easton aluminum core carbon shaft points.

My experience is mostly with ACC and ACE's. I NOW only use an alcohol lamp with these shafts, along with low temp hot melt. What I have discovered is it is just too easy to damage these shafts with a torch...and I used to use a torch for all my arrows. The bond between the aluminum core and carbon can be damaged pretty easily with a torch (and the shaft usually looks fine).

While the alcohol lamp takes longer to heat the points, it is a gradual heat and easier to control the temperature. One thing to keep in mind...as you heat the point it does take time for that heat to be transferred to the entire point (inside the shaft). The shaft is also acting as a heat sink.

If you really want to use heat to remove these components, I'd probably use an alcohol lamp and wrap a cool damp cloth around the end of the shaft to help keep the shaft cooler. Have a second person with pliers pull on the tip immediately after removing the point from the flame. I'd pull straight, don't twist.

That said; don't be surprised if these points can't be removed without damaging the shafts. I have no experience with Goat Tuff but have found heat usually does work to soften most any glue or epoxy. The real question is....is the amount of heat needed going to damage the shaft first.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

CharlieL

·
Aim Small-Miss Small
2,827 Posts
I heard somewhere that you can take a drill bit drop it down the shaft and knock out the insert. I have not tried to these please note, just heard!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
How much are you going to cut off? If it's more than 75-80% of the point length you can very carefully cut the shaft but not the point. Usually I can then easily pull out the point. I've done quite a few this way with good results. I've had zero success with the drill bit thing When Goat Tuff is envolved.

hd

·
Registered
800 Posts
How much are you going to cut off? If it's more than 75-80% of the point length you can very carefully cut the shaft but not the point. Usually I can then easily pull out the point. I've done quite a few this way with good results. I've had zero success with the drill bit thing When Goat Tuff is envolved.

hd
Thanks for tip...definitely worth a try in certain situations!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I heard somewhere that you can take a drill bit drop it down the shaft and knock out the insert. I have not tried to these please note, just heard!
This works very well, BUT!!! be careful where you do it b/c the drill bit comes out like a bullet. Just drop a drill bit (slightly smaller diameter than your arrow) down inside the shaft. Then just swing the arrow like you'd crack a whip. It might take a couple swings getting gradually harder, but it will knock that FP out fo sho!!

You might wanna go outside or something. I did my first one in my garage and the drill bit came out, ricocheted off something and almost busted my car windshield!!

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,801 Posts
i have also done this with good results...

hd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts