Archery Talk Forum banner

glueing vanes

1154 Views 21 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Archer100
I need to glue a couple vanes back on but don't have any special fletching glue, can I use some other type of glue I might have around the house?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Try this

I had this problem once when I was out at another hunt camp and I had to use a few different things. Superglue will work but you gotta be quick. Gorilla glue could work. But waterproof two part epoxy( a very small bead) worked for a temp fix.

· Classifieds Administrator
39,729 Posts
What about using a hot glue gun?
I don't think that will hold up. Most hardware stores have LocTite super glue and it works great.

· Registered
7,294 Posts
I had this problem once when I was out at another hunt camp and I had to use a few different things. Superglue will work but you gotta be quick. Gorilla glue could work. But waterproof two part epoxy( a very small bead) worked for a temp fix.
for fletching? :moviecorn:

· Registered
3,861 Posts
The glues you mentioned are good for and typically used in insert installation. Gorrilla glue for one, would be a horrible fletching glue. Upon curing, it' foams up and expands quite a bit in volume. If anything, you'd want the reverse properties in fletching glue.

As mentioned by most, Loctite Gel is great for fletching and widely available.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Instead of creating a whole new topic, I'll just ask the question in this one:

If you want to replace one or more vanes on an arrow, how do you get the old vane off? Can I use a very sharp razor?

Also, how much wrinkling can a vane withstand and still shoot accurately?

· Registered
5,465 Posts

If you want to replace one or more vanes on an arrow, how do you get the old vane off? Can I use a very sharp razor?

Dull never sharp, I potato peeler will work. I have also used this and it works great as long as you are careful, the blade fits a standard carbon shaft very well.

Attachments

· Registered
106 Posts
i personally like 2 part epoxy, i forget the name but i buy it for 2 39 at a hardware store near my house, its 5 minute, and its strong, dosnt let the fletching rip off as easy, yet its still easy to take off

:embara:I DID learn my lesson when i bought the 2 TON epoxy, because it was very cheap....say goodbye to anychances of putting new nocks on arrows once the old ones broke off:tongue:

· Registered
32 Posts
The glues you mentioned are good for and typically used in insert installation. Gorrilla glue for one, would be a horrible fletching glue. Upon curing, it' foams up and expands quite a bit in volume. If anything, you'd want the reverse properties in fletching glue.

As mentioned by most, Loctite Gel is great for fletching and widely available.
Actually Gorilla Glue makes a few types of glues. Two super glues that I know of. The first dries white and I wouldnt recomend it. The second is the "Impact Tuff" formula. Has a blue cap and is very good stuff. You can get it at Wally-World at the hardware section for about 4 bucks.

I use it to fletch my arrows. Very tough bond, I use a very light film of it. Enough now that it puts just enough on the outside of the vane to see that its actually glued to the arrow. When I first fletched with it...I put too little to see that it even was glued at all. You could even bend the fletching over to the side and see the fletching pull up from the arrow. And guess what?.... Those arrows still have the same fletchings on them. Holds just as well as my better attempts do. :darkbeer:

Oh, and the Gorilla Super Glues dont foam up like the standard Gorilla Glues. :wink:

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I need to glue a couple vanes back on but don't have any special fletching glue, can I use some other type of glue I might have around the house?
Go to Wal-Mart and buy a bottle of Loc-Tite Super Glue GEL awsome stuff

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Actually Gorilla Glue makes a few types of glues. Two super glues that I know of. The first dries white and I wouldnt recomend it. The second is the "Impact Tuff" formula. Has a blue cap and is very good stuff. You can get it at Wally-World at the hardware section for about 4 bucks.

I use it to fletch my arrows. Very tough bond, I use a very light film of it. Enough now that it puts just enough on the outside of the vane to see that its actually glued to the arrow. When I first fletched with it...I put too little to see that it even was glued at all. You could even bend the fletching over to the side and see the fletching pull up from the arrow. And guess what?.... Those arrows still have the same fletchings on them. Holds just as well as my better attempts do. :darkbeer:

Oh, and the Gorilla Super Glues dont foam up like the standard Gorilla Glues. :wink:

I know. I have a bottle sitting on my desk right in front of me. And on the bottle it has the Gorilla Emblem and it says "Super Glue".

"Gorilla Glue" on the other hand, actually says 'Gorilla Glue' on the bottle as opposed to Super Glue.

If you take a read at punish02's post, it's fairly apparent he wasn't talking about the Gorilla "Super Glue." :wink:

· Registered
3,861 Posts

For removing old fletching, a semi dull knife actually works better than a razor sharp blade. With a dull knife, you don't have to be nearly as careful as you would with a sharp razor. With a very sharp razor, the edge can easily bite into the carbon if your not careful.

A semi dull knife takes a few more strokes to remove the glue residue but makes it far far more difficult to cut into the carbon.

Not to say a sharp razor won't work, you just have to be very careful. A few archery manufacturers make east to use defletchers as well. Saunders has a nice one.

As far as vane wrinkling, take a blow dryer or heat gun to it if it wrinkles. It'll smooth right out. Make sure not to heat the shaft, just the vane. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.