Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some Goat Glue, and was pretty disappointed. When I opened the small bottle, it had a characteristic "super-glue smell". I thought to myself, "I hope it doesn't say the ingredient is cyanocrylate, which is just superglue. Sure enough, that's what it said. Go get a bottle of superglue, and compare the smell and the ingredients. I'm disappointed I paid about 9 bucks for superglue! It's absolutely the same thing!

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
There are many grades of cyanocrylate and speeds at which they cure. Who knows whats in Goat Tuff.

Goat tuff costs about $10 for a .5 oz tube. Super glue costs $1.29 for a .07 oz tube in my store. So, you are only paying a $1 more for the Goat Tuff and it comes in a much better bottle and tip.

Your choice. I know a guy that fletches with Elmers Polyurethane adhesive. The stuff sticks like Hell but takes a while to cure.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
It has some of the same ingredients as super glue, but it is not the same - very close, but not the same. Super glue dries faster, harder and is more brittle

·
Occam's Razor
8,322 Posts
Also never had a tube of super glue last very long as it dries out or screws up the tube. Goat is good stuff, love the bottle,.......................ck

<----<<<< >>>>---------> <--------<<<< >>>>--------->

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Goat tough

There is a post on here some where about goat tough and most of the people said it didn't hold their inserts in at all. I was going to try it up till then but said nope I'll stick with 24 hour epoxy.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Use it for fletching not putting in inserts. I use low temp hot melt for inserts.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have used goat tuff for inserts for 4 years now & have maybe 2 come out in that time. It is some of the best glue out there.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I had points comming out of my ACE's way too frequently. I tried Goat Tuff and have yet to lose a single point.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just my .02. A friend opened an archery shop and wanted something that wouldn't give any problems with fketching arrows. Everyone was raving about Goat Tuff so he bought a bottle for himself and one for me. We won't use it again. It hardly ever held a vane on. When you have customers bringing back all the arrows because the vanes fall off then yu go to something different (we tried every possible way of preping them to see if something would work). Right now he is usng Fletch something (can't remember the last part of the name). Is basically like Goat Tuff but twice the amount for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
contact Gary Coffey. I hear he is carrying a glue that holds like super glue, but can be removed like fletchtite with a knife. Doens't leave a white residue behind and a little goes a long way. I think it's $15 a bottle, but the bottle will last and last.
www.coffeymarketing.com

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Nothing I have ever used has worked as well as Bondini. Far better than even Goat Tuff! Don't buy the gel, buy the regular. About $2.00 at Walmart and Kmart. You'll never loose an insert or vane again.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I read somewhere that a certain grade of model airplane cement was the same as Goat Tuff and now I can't find the post. I've often wondered, the people that aren't having problems with GT & inserts are you usint lighter poundage bow & shorter drawlengths - pull outs are an on going problem for me with Goat Tuff.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Goat Tuff is Great stuff

My Wife and I own a Pro-Shop and we use only Goat Tuff for fletching carbon arrows and glueing inserts in carbon arrows. It is the best stuff we have tried, we use the excellerator to prep the arrows and you can not pull off the fletchings whether it be feathers or vanes. For alluminum arrows we still use Saunders NPV for fletching and epoxy or hot melt for inserts. We have had minimal problems with both set-ups.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use goat tuff glue to put my vanes and inserts in and have not had one problem with it. I've used different types of super glue and the first time my arrow penetrated all the way into the target at least one vane would come loose.

·
Registered
450 Posts
idon't know about goat tuff, i've been using bondtite with no problems at all. the best stuff i found for inserts in carbons, providing the fit os good, i good ole' red locktite. i haven't had an insert or point come out yet and you can usually shoot the arrow in about an hour.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Goat Tuff

Last winter, my buddy and I each bought a dozen BlackHawk Vapor arrows to try. My buddy bought a new bottle of Goat Tuff to glue the inserts. We meticulously cleaned the inserts and arrows with alcohol and did a careful job gluing them in.

I used 30-minute epoxy to install the inserts in my set of Vapors, and I've had one insert come loose (after a hard hit into a frozen birch tree!).

We did some practice shooting from our treestands today in preparation for bow season. He had three inserts come out in a morning of shooting! In past shooting sessions he has lost none, one, or two. He is unhappy with the performance (and price) of Goat Tuff.

YMMV,
Bob Scott

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Goat Tuff Glue, Is made HERE in my hometown of Rock Springs Wyoming.. I know Tim well. I have seen the glue being bottled and it is NOT common super glue..It is a special blend that he has a 10 year EXCLUSIVE agreement for...Meaning he is the ONLY ONE that has that blend available in the US....Now with that said I have NEVER been happy with it's performance in fletching OR inserts...And I guarantee you NO ONE preps shafts better than I do for anything.... I also use Bondini from Wal Mart for fletching and I have been using it for years with EXCELLENT results... and I use Epoxy to put points and such in...Just my thoughts....Pro1

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Goat Tuff is Awesome

I'm really surprised with the number of people who have said they have had problems with Goat Tuff. I've used it on aluminum and carbon and never had a problem with the fletching coming off. I use 99% alcohol to clean both types of shafts. I rarely clean the inside for the shafts and never lost an insert unless it was stuck in wood or something similar. It takes me about 5 minutes to get all of the glue off when re-fletching, pain in the arse. And unless it is really humid I get zero "frosting" that is prevelant with other instants. To each his own, that's what make this world great!

How much is this Bondini @ Wal-mart? Does it "frost"? I'm always looking for things to improve and/or save cash?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts