Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people swear by Goat Tuff that I tried it and It took way too long to set. I used it on older Gold Tip shaft's and Gateway feather's. What should I clean the shaft's with when using Goat Tuff. Does it take 20 second's to set for you. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Goat Tuff makes an accellerator to be used when fletching with feathers. Eders carries it. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You will never get a super fast set with goat tuff or other "super glue" like products with feathers. They are just too thin and tend to soak up into the quil of the feather prolonging drying time. The stuff is amazing on vanes though. My vote for feathers is still fletch tite ;) Takes longer to dry, but I have never lost a feather using it over the last 18 years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wipe the shaft down with at least 97% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, & like x-ring said use fletch tite...................................DF1

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derbytown, does the accelerator spray on to the feather's or the shaft's? Is it a pain to use?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
KELLY

I have used the accelerator before. You spray it on the shaft. Trust me, fletch tite is still the way to go. ;)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We've been finding Goat Tuff kinda stinks on aluminum with Boening vanes, with AAE vanes it has been okay. On carbon it has been great (though have only used the AAE vanes on carbon). Was kinda disappointing after hearing all the kudos for it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried Fletch Tite but I have a hard time getting a good bead and I like fact that I could push the clamp tight to the shaft while the fast setting glue's set.
I was thinking of getting one of those plastic bottle's with the metal tip's.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
With fletch tite, the more the better...you don't need a thin bead of glue. Put one on that takes up the whole base of the feather. The thing that is nice about fletch tite and feathers is the fact that it makes a nice seal between the arrow and featehr unlike the thin runny fast dry stuff. You can still push the clamp tight onto the shaft with fletch tite. Extra glue will squeeze out onto the shaft, but as the glue dries...it kinda melts into/onto the shaft and you don't even really notice the excess after it has dried. Give it a try I think you will be impressed with the results. Make sure you clean your arrows with 90% alcohol or higher. :)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
GOAT TUFF FAILED FOR ME TOO

I made up a batch of new Nitro Stingers used Goat Tuff to glue inthe poitn

went to the New butst at fort Berlvoir AC New bales celotex laid sideways

Shot five arrows Allthe point pulled Out of the nitro stirnger

Goat tuff an'tn so tuff IMHO

What up TIM?

TINK:confused:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I fletched some Lightspeeds last night with 4" feathers and Goat Tuff. I had no problems at all. I did no special preping and they set-up in less than a minute. Now I have had trouble with the same feathers on aluminum shafts. It's like the Goat Tuff will not set up. It looks like it just gets tacky and stays like that for a while and then finally sets. Go figure:confused:

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
With AAE vanes it sticks TOO tuff to Beeman ICS shafts. Absolute ass pain to get off when I need to put a new vane on.

I use it on aluminums with no problem either with AAE vanes.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
hmm, the goat tuff and the accelerator work very well for me. I even had trouble getting the vanes/feathers off!!!! It was even drying faster than I could fletch! Last march at a level 2 coaches course they went over how to fletch arrows. He put some accelerator on an shaft, a little goat tuff glue slapped the feather on. took jig off, tried to pull off feather and it didn't come off.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Tink-

Goat Tuff doesn't work well with points, it is more for vanes than anything else I've found. I recommend Powerbond by Bohning or even better, 24 hr two-part epoxy such as AAE for carbon points. Bohning also makes a quicker one for those who can't wait. These all work excellent on carbon shaft points. Aluminum points, well sometimes the old hot-melt is hard to beat...;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I always clean alluminum and carbon shafts with denatured alcohol first, when using feathers I spray shaft with accelerator, thin bead of glue, when I use Duravanes they set almost immediately! I have had problems with the Goat on alluminum shafts on occasion not setting up fast. Here's what I noticed, if the room temperature is below 70 degrees or humid, it takes a while. I still give my vote to Goat Tuff because the feathers and or vanes don't peel off easy like other glues or break down after sitting around for months. I've had customers bring in fletched arrows where the feathers or vanes fell right off. Not with Goat, can be a pain in the butt removing old glue! Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
118 Posts
Goat Tuff...

Works for me with feathers, I clean the shaft like Jacko described, although I don't use the accelerator and have no problem with feathers or vanes holding/setting...quickly. I fletch mostly feathers and wouldn't use anything else. I have found that using cresting wraps will allow the feathers to set a bit faster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts