Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there tried Goat Tuff glue to put feathers on . I am having a hard time getting the proper coverage with the glue . It is sure not drying in 10 seconds like it says on the bottle .
I'm looking for suggestions and feedback.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Goat Tuff

Blindcook,

I use Goat Tuff with natural turkey and also Trueflight feathers on ACC's. I have experienced no problem with it working...it may take a bit longer than 10 seconds to dry, I'm not sure. It does seem they dry a little faster when I use a cresting wrap. I've fletched (with a bitzenberger) 4"/5"RH and can't say I've noticed a difference in either one. I do clean the shafts first with denatured alcohol. What feathers are you using?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I agree with Parbo, I also have had no issues with Goat Tuff on feathers, altho due to the natural tendency of feathers to curl, yes, you have to leave them in the jig longer than vanes, you can't just whip the feather in and then pull the clamp off it, feathers take more "finesse" than vanes do.;) Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goat tuff

Thanks guys for the reply.

I am using 5 inch Gateway feathers in right helical jigs . I guess I'm just having a hard time setting the fletching in the jig . It seems there is always a portion in the middle that doesn't make good contact with the arrow . Any Suggestions ??

It seems that if you get a little too much glue on the fletch the glue runs . I have tried to remedy that by raising my jig to the point that makes the arrows level to try to avoid running . Any suggestions?

Are you using it on your inserts also??

Your help is appreciated .

Leaving for Colorado on the 28th so I can be on the mountain for opening day .

DGS

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Why don't you change your glue? If you are having trouble with it, it will lower you confidence in your equipment. Get some glue from Steelforce or fletchtight. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glue change

I'm with you Arkie . I just bought some goat glue because it is supposed to be fast . If I don't get it straightened out soon I am giving it up. I'm really not trying to mass produce arrows in my shop . I just do it as a hobby and for my customers . A dozen custom arrows does wonders for my referral business.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If you are having problems, you can always go back to the reliable Fletch-Tite. Always has worked great on feathers (NOT VANES!), but takes a little more drying time (good 10-15 minutes is a safe bet).

Whenever I fletch feathers, I use Fletch-tite and take my time. Arrows always come out great and those feathers never come off unless I shoot em off! :)

But, I must confess, I've never used Goat Tuff at all...so I can't comment on how good it is.

For me...

Vanes == Fastset Gel
Feathers == Fletch-Tite

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts