Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've killed 4 (maybe 5, you'll see) deer with the QAD 100gr Exodus, swept blade model. I'm a 29.5 draw. I shot the first at 22yds from my 2007 AR32, 70lb on the front of a Beman 400 spine cut to 28". She flinched like a fly bit her, kept feeding calmly, and then fell over dead about 10 or 15 seconds later. The next 2 were shot with the same setup: a doe at 40yds, double lung, she ran maybe 20 yds and expired; and a spike shot at 17yds who ran maybe 40yds and crashed.

Number 4 was a six point last season out of a Mathews Vertix at 70lb on the front of a Gold Tip Velocity 300 spine cut to 29.5 with a 20gr FACT weight in the front, 14yd shot, heart and lungs. That deer ran 125yds before expiring. Look at the hit in the pic below.

I was less than thrilled with the distance this deer ran, but sometimes it happens I guess.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I'm now shooting a V3 31 at 65lb, Gold Tip Blackout 300 spine cut to 29.5 with a 20gr FACT weight in the front, 22yd shot, double-lung, full passthrough. Pink and bubbles on the vanes:

5 steps from the shot:

75yds from the shot:

I looked for 3 hours and never found this deer. Last blood was 150 yds from the shot.

Beyond the issue of these last 2 recoveries (or lack thereof) I'm also frustrated with accuracy. The bow is in-tune per my local pro shop. It's dialed perfectly to 60yds, which is is far as I can shoot at home. I always confirm with broadheads at my ranges. Last night I went to confirm with the shot/dulled head from Saturday before putting new blades in it and getting ready to hunt again. First shot at 20 was dead on. Second and third shots at 40 were good. Shot at 60 missed the target completely. Went back to 20 and was off by 4". So, I grabbed a new fresh head out of my quiver and shot it at 20: dead on. Shot it at 40 to confirm, also dead on. Didn't get to shoot it at 60 because it got dark.

This is the Exodus and a Field Point at 40:

At this point my confidence in the head is just completely shaken and I want to try something different. I've never shot a mechanical before and am thinking about it. I hunt hardwoods in Georgia from 20+ feet up in a Summit. I want something I can confidently shoot out to 60 if need be, but usually as you can see from my track record I do not take long risky shots. Hoping for more consistent flight from a mechanical, maybe the G5 Megameat? I don't have any more Exodus blades, so I have to buy something regardless. The question is just whether to buy more Exodus or something different.

I just need some recommendations and to get back on track before an all-day sit I took off work for tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I looked for 3 hours and never found this deer. Last blood was 150 yds from the shot.

I'd go back and find that deer. 3 hours is not enough sometimes

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Try out G5 montecs. And make sure your bow is actually still in tune, because the arrow flight symptoms you just described would indicate that it's not, even if your shop told you that it is.
Well if he pissed about blood trails with a Exodus a montec is not the answer. Mega meat was kinda fussy. Notice he changed bows for me the vxr was horrible with fix heads. I could not justify using it to hunt with. If I switched to fix QAD is on my very short list. Grizz Tricks is my other

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well if he pissed about blood trails with a Exodus a montec is not the answer. Mega meat was kinda fussy. Notice he changed bows for me the vxr was horrible with fix heads. I could not justify using it to hunt with. If I switched to fix QAD is on my very short list. Grizz Tricks is my other
I don’t think his problem is the blood trail. I think his problem is that the arrow didn’t hit where he aimed and he didn’t get a lethal hit, or the animal went wayyyy too far for him to find. I have a 100% success rate with my Montecs, and have never had a deer go more than 80 yards from the shot (7 deer killed with that head so far). They fly true to my field points out to 60 yards. Might not be the craziest blood trails, but when you hear/see the deer crash because they didn’t make it very far, that’s not really an issue. It’s not like you won’t get good enough blood to follow either way if you made a good shot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you want broadhead test results look up lusk archery adventures on YouTube. That being said, I feel for a fixed blade you will be hard pressed to find a more accurate forgiving tough and killing ready sharp broadhead in the price range of the exodus. Make sure to remove the rubber gasket before shooting and always spin test any broadhead. Sometimes inserts require a reseating from the head to match up perfectly to whatever tip is there.
If you just want to try another broadhead that is on par and maybe give you more confidence there is the grim reaper microhades pro in 3 or 4 blade. Also the ozcut elite 3 blade but I would sharpen the ozcut before shooting. Tooth of the fairy also is a way to look. There are ton of good options out there. I used to shoot ramcat diamondbacks and they fly great and do some damage but you will find they aren’t as tough as the ones listed above.
Regarding your deer recovery, I’ve heart shot center punched deer and had them run more than 50 yards. If they take off on a full sprint they can cover a ton of ground in the 5 to 10 seconds before they bed down or expire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,221 Posts
You changed bows why not blame the bow? You blame a broadhead on a deer you can't find is a weak reason. I agree if you don't have confidence in your stuff find something else. But it's not the head. Or the bow change it's the shooter that needs work.

With all the said I've killed 50+ animals with exodus swept heads and have them go from 30 yards to 450 plus yards. All the good shots double lung have been 300 max yards but she ran down a hill/Mt and got stuck between two trees or she would of went farther with holes in her lungs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good feedback, thanks. Regarding the hit on the un-recovered deer, ok sure maybe it was off. We'll never know for sure because I didn't find the deer, but is that not a whole bunch of bubbly lung blood on that fern leaf 75yds from the hit? Why did that deer go 75 yds? Also, that wasn't last blood. Last blood was 125-150 and then flat out nothing after that point.

Also, look at the hit on the 6pt. Do you see something wrong with that hit? That deer also went 125yds (measured with a GPS).

·
Registered
18,221 Posts
Good feedback, thanks. Regarding the hit on the un-recovered deer, ok sure maybe it was off. We'll never know for sure because I didn't find the deer, but is that not a whole bunch of bubbly lung blood on that fern leaf 75yds from the hit? Why did that deer go 75 yds? Also, that wasn't last blood. Last blood was 125-150 and then flat out nothing after that point.

Also, look at the hit on the 6pt. Do you see something wrong with that hit? That deer also went 125yds (measured with a GPS).

I have video taped deer shot thru the lungs and have them on video on their feet for 29 secs, (just thing how far a deer cab run in 29 secs) then they flopped around on the ground 10-20 more secs so if a deer can stay on their feet they can go a long way with any heads.

As for bubbles in blood I've seen bubbles from neck shots, brisket shots , 1 lung shots, and liver/gut shots where deer have beded down then got pushed and my guess diafram pushes out air and bubbles. The color is important as bubbles I think

·
Registered
46 Posts
One thing to think about regarding accuracy is you were shooting a used arrow when you went to confirm accuracy. If you didn’t spin test it I would look at that arrow again. Your insert might’ve been bent or something and that is why a new arrow and broad head flew great in comparison. I wouldn’t let one partially bad experience make you do a complete makeover to your setup one day before a hunt but I would do a confirmation of the existing setup. Take the old blades off the used head put them on a not yet used head and arrow. Confirm your arrow flight and accuracy and then put those new sharp blades back on and go get some. That’s be my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
Probably the first and only bad review I've seen on a QAD Exodus

I think you're jumping to conclusions

Could be an arrow problem

Could be an insert problem

Could be a tuning issue

Could be a slightly off shot

Could just be a Wiley deer that ran longer than normal

And yet here you are, bound and determined its a Broadhead problem. Deer aren't big animals. Dang near any Broadhead ever made will get all the way through and kill one.

Its hunting. Things happen. Theres no magical Broadhead. Only well tuned bows, proper arrow set-ups, and good shot placement.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

I see no problem with that deer going 125 yds. What if he had full breath your talking 3 seconds

·
Registered
Iron Will Broad heads.
15 Posts
I have video taped deer shot thru the lungs and have them on video on their feet for 29 secs, (just thing how far a deer cab run in 29 secs) then they flopped around on the ground 10-20 more secs so if a deer can stay on their feet they can go a long way with any heads.

As for bubbles in blood I've seen bubbles from neck shots, brisket shots , 1 lung shots, and liver/gut shots where deer have beded down then got pushed and my guess diafram pushes out air and bubbles. The color is important as bubbles I think
I actually shot a deer four years ago with an Exodus full 125 grain out of a ground blind. The buck was 42 yards and was broad side. As I released the arrow the buck turned and it looked as if he was headed toward me straight on. He was still standing though but repositioned himself and he was quartering to me. The arrow passed all the way through hitting the brisket. I believe it passed through the right side and I hit both lungs. I backed out cause I didn’t see the buck go down. I saw blood spraying from his front side. As I backed out another hunter who is allowed to hunt our private farm walked in an hour before dark. I’m not 100% sure but I believe the buck was bedded down somewhere close and he got spooked by the other hunter. I backed out after recovering my arrow. Had some fatty tissue on it. Came back 6 hours later and we searched. We found four basketball size pink bubbly blood. 125 yards later no blood at all. It was a bad judgement call on my part, not the broad heads fault. I got a full pass through at 42 yards from the ground and from POI to last blood he bled like a stuck pig. My uncles who own and farm the ground found the buck two weeks later. About 500 yards from where we last found blood I was impressed by the Exodus and I still would use them if the Iron Wills hadn’t came out.

QAD Exodus is a badass broad head in my opinion.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

Perfect post

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
People’s unwillingness to put in a little work is disheartening. First, we saw a post about someone’s friend unwilling to drag a deer out so they just left it, and now this. A guy shot a deer and it went a lil far so he’s looking for a solution to a problem he doesn’t have.

Warb from THP just killed an amazing buck on a recent video. Good double lung shot…ran 350yards before dying. I’ve shot a deer with a .308 in the heart, it went 100yrds before it realized it was dead (granted it was chasing a doe). Deer are tough, you gotta be tougher than “we looked for 3hours & 1 1/2 football fields”

·
Beer Whisperer
11,528 Posts
People’s unwillingness to put in a little work is disheartening. First, we saw a post about someone’s friend unwilling to drag a deer out so they just left it, and now this. A guy shot a deer and it went a lil far so he’s looking for a solution to a problem he doesn’t have.

Warb from THP just killed an amazing buck on a recent video. Good double lung shot…ran 350yards before dying. I’ve shot a deer with a .308 in the heart, it went 100yrds before it realized it was dead (granted it was chasing a doe). Deer are tough, you gotta be tougher than “we looked for 3hours & 1 1/2 football fields”
Amen!

Reactions: NovemberWhitetailz

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think we would all like 100% guarantees. When we shoot "X" type of broadhead and get bright bubbly blood the deer is required to be down within 125 yards. Shoot enough deer with your arrow as your projectile, with any good head, and you will get exceptions. They leave you wondering if you did something wrong, when the case was just out of the ordinary. Did the muscles close differently around the exit hole? Did the blades just not cut the normal path? I dunno. I wish every aberration could be explained.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts