Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my first archery buck last weekend and I am taking to the taxidermist in the next couple of days. Any thoughts on what position to get him mounted would be great, pics of your suggestions even better. Thanks in advance for your help

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

A little more info 111 inch gross rack main frame 8 with two small points one at the base of the right side and one off of the left g2, small body deer only wieghed in a 110 lbs

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the mess up in the title, not sure how to edit the title.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I really like the one I got last year, it was called "Proud". The first two pics are the first time I saw it at the taxi, the rest are on my wall at home.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Great eight.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,392 Posts
See what the taxidermist has on display and think about where you plan on displaying the buck. I keep it pretty simple, most of my mounts are semi sneak.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Great 8 is right. I would go to the taxidermist and see what they have. Its all personal preference.

If you want the title changed you have to contact a mod. They can do it for you

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Great first buck......really nice deer for anytime..

congrats.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
My next buck is going to be on a pedestal using a licking branch. that or the "proud" stance on a pedestal.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I like the semi sneak aggressive look...but since your buck was shot early season and neck isn't that big as during the rut, i would go with the one mentioned above, "Proud" that looks good.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I only have the one buck mount I shot 2 Years ago but I am young so I'm sure I will get more. He stopped broadside and turned his head left looking right at me when I lot the shot go. So I mounted him with that same look to the left.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What was the buck doing when you first saw him? I like the mounts that remind you of how he appeared in the field. For example, one of mine was hot on a doe, so I had him mounted with his head down and neck extended. My other mount was called "alert" because he knew something wasn't right when he got in range, but it was too late. I would post pics, but the mounts are at my parents' house.

·
Registered
632 Posts
CONGRATS on a fine buck. I always like to ask my taxidermist what mount would showcase the antlers best, he is the expert. A couple other things to consider are ear positioning and which way the head is turned (left or right). These 3 things form/ears/turn all make a differance in the overall presentation of the buck, ask your taxidermist what he thinks will due your buck the justice it deserves. Another thing to think about is where you are going to hang the mount in the room, the left/right turn can come into play depending where it hangs on the wall and gets even more complicated when you start mounting future bucks (not a bad problem to have though).

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
Beautiful buck. Make sure you take care of the cape (i freeze mine) if not going to the taxi right away. I like the wall pedestal mounts best myself.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the semi sneak aggressive look...but since your buck was shot early season and neck isn't that big as during the rut, i would go with the one mentioned above, "Proud" that looks good.
Thanks

Crazy thing is, where I hunt the rut is over! Florida is really screwed up when it comes to the rut.

Anyway,his neck is small, so do you guys think a more upright mount we be better.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only have the one buck mount I shot 2 Years ago but I am young so I'm sure I will get more. He stopped broadside and turned his head left looking right at me when I lot the shot go. So I mounted him with that same look to the left.
I like the idea of having him positioned the way he was during the shot. Thanks

Great info, advice, and pics. Thanks and keep em coming

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Awesome Florida buck!! Congrats

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Also what I did when trying to decide, was google search pictures of deer mounts, and I just printed off ones I liked and showed it to the taxi so he can choose the form you like.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I'm partial to the semi-upright positions. But that's just me.

David

1 - 20 of 47 Posts