Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking for some info here. As stated I'm going to Colorado from Sept 14 to the 29 for elk. We will be sleeping in a wall tent. I need to get a sleeping bag and a pad to sleep on. My question is how much do I need to spend? I would like to spend as little as possible but I do indeed want to be warm Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Honestly looking on the internet has been overwhelming. I'm just not sure what I need. By the way Im what you call a cold sleeper. As in I'm usually freezing at home in my bed. I definitely want to error on being too warm. Afraid to make a purchase and then find out when its too late I should have went better or at least warmer. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For example I just found a mountain smith Berthoud series sleeping bag on sale for 38.00. It says its a -20 degree bag. Sounds too good to be true. Is it enough for what Im going to do?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Klymit static V insulated pad for 85.00 on same site. Just saw it. R rating is 4.4. What does that mean to me?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Cabelas cot pad and wiggys bag. I would not trust a $38 bag on the mountain. You can always bring extra blankets. Make sure the bag is not too big as the dead space will get cold. Marmot never summer is another good bag option. There is actually a lot that goes into a sleep system but there are way more options from a wall tent.

The r value is the ability to retain heat. 4.4 is decent. The higher the number, the warmer the pad.

What is the r value of the bag?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That sleeping bag looks like it will easily get the job done. At $38 you can’t go wrong...the same bag sells at REI for $189. It’s synthetic insulation which would be great for your situation because there might be some nights you go to bed wet and need to dry out. The same can’t be said for a down insulation bag, if it were to get wet or you being wet and climbing inside, its performance drastically drops. Looks like your on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
The statement, “you can’t go wrong.” Could be a horrible decision. There is nothing worse than spending a week on the mountain freezing every night. Do some research and make sure you get something that works. Go to a good shop like REI and learn a bit. If that bag works, great but you don’t want to learn the first night of the hunt.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I'm asking for some info here. As stated I'm going to Colorado from Sept 14 to the 29 for elk. We will be sleeping in a wall tent. I need to get a sleeping bag and a pad to sleep on. My question is how much do I need to spend? I would like to spend as little as possible but I do indeed want to be warm Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Honestly looking on the internet has been overwhelming. I'm just not sure what I need. By the way Im what you call a cold sleeper. As in I'm usually freezing at home in my bed. I definitely want to error on being too warm. Afraid to make a purchase and then find out when its too late I should have went better or at least warmer. Thanks in advance!
I would sleep better on a cot. Could you swing that? How cold of temps are possible in the area you're hunting during that time frame? If you can drive right up to your tent you can make a nice cowboy-style bedroll and be way more comfy than a regular sleeping bag but if you're flying out that probably wouldn't work.

I have a Sierra Designs down bag rated at 5°F and I'm hot in it with temps in the teens. Most times I sleep with that bag zipped open and a small down quilt covering me and that works down below freezing on my Klymit pad. I am a HOT sleeper, however.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I have this pad well worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't think I paid $85 for mine though???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
I like elk!
17,821 Posts
A $38 bag rated for -20* is realistically a 30* bag.

If you’re sleeping in a wall tent, buy a cot and bring a bunch of blankets and don’t worry about your sleep system.
Sleep systems only really start to matter when you sleep in a tent, far from your vehicle.

The 4.4 R value is the capacity of an insulating material to resist heat flow.
The higher the R value, the warmer the material
I use a 3.2 R value pad, all season long, at 10,500’, on the ground..and keep warm.

If you’re on a cot, in a wall tent, it’s not even the same thing. Buy a comfy cot, the cheap -20 bag(or bring a bunch of quilts/blankets)... bring a pillow, and sleep soundly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, forgot to mention we get there by way of a three hour horseback ride so we are limited by how much we can take. We meet the outfitter at the trail head, 3 hour horseback ride to the wall tent. They leave us and come back 10 days later, unless we get one. Then we use the sat phone and they will come back and pack it out. Man am I excited. This has been three years in the planning and now its getting real!

·
Registered
11,799 Posts
i am doing something identical in September for mule deer in Wyoming, i got a wiggys sleeping bag and a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad. i got a sea to summit event compression bag for the the sleeping bag, that thing is awesome.
our family flew out to ski at Mt. Hood in April, and i took all the ski clothes for 3 folks, the big stuff, and was able to fit it in a small backpack that slides under the seat in a airplane. it is crazy how much space the compression bags can save you.

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
2,014 Posts
A cot is the only option for me when I lived in Colorado and hunted. A cot with a good pillow and good sleeping bag. And no a sleeping bag for sleeping in a cot is not overkill its awesome.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The sleeping bag you listed, does NOT look like a good bag.
The biggest difference between a cheap and expensive bag of the same rating is weight. Quality takes a hit too, but not as much as how much it weighs. There are good bags out there around $100. A good sleeping pad is a must.
Best advice I can give you on staying warm, is how you sleep. Sleep on your back with a good stocking hat and merino wool socks. Close the mummy bag's hood and keep from breathing inside your bag. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts